Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004 | 11:24 PM
gt3

Smile Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU

Ever wished that you can have audio steering wheel controls on your Z? I was so used to them in my BMW. I missed them terribly in the Z that I find myself searching them when they are not there. But fret no more...if you have an aftermarket receiver headunit, you're in luck It is not only possible, but it is also not extremely difficult in retrospect.

After weeks of waiting for parts, reading wiring diagrams, approximately 20 hours of trial and error, I was finally able to retrofit the audio steering wheel control buttons from an Infiniti FX45!! I was able to use these controls with a PAC Audio universal steering control device SWI-X to send infrared signals my Kenwood HU. The toughest was trying to remove the steering wheel and figure out the wiring harnesses of the spiral cable unit behind the steering wheel.

The metal finish on the FX units is somewhat darker than the silver finish on the 350Z pieces, but I find that they blend in well with the finish on the instrutment panel. I will try to post a detailed part list and DIY by this weekend. In the meantime, here are some pictures. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU-wheel2.jpg  

Last edited by gt3; 06-03-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:25 PM
gt3

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU-wheel1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2004 | 02:17 AM
silverstoneTT

very cool
Old 06-04-2004 | 12:12 PM
veilside z

Nice Job - in Europe the 350Z comes with the Audio / Telephone controls on the Steering Wheel as standard
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU-left-controls-2.jpg  
Old 06-04-2004 | 12:31 PM
Zrated

Super cool idea!!

It's funny, I've never had off HU controls, it's tough getting used to having the remote with my HU.
Old 06-04-2004 | 02:06 PM
lawnmore

Default Re: Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU

Originally posted by gt3
Ever wished that you can have audio steering wheel controls on your Z? I was so used to them in my BMW. I missed them terribly in the Z that I find myself searching them when they are not there. But fret no more...if you have an aftermarket receiver headunit, you're in luck It is not only possible, but it is also not extremely difficult in retrospect.

After weeks of waiting for parts, reading wiring diagrams, approximately 20 hours of trial and error, I was finally able to retrofit the audio steering wheel control buttons from an Infiniti FX45!! I was able to use these controls with a PAC Audio universal steering control device SWI-X to send infrared signals my Kenwood HU. The toughest was trying to remove the steering wheel and figure out the wiring harnesses of the spiral cable unit behind the steering wheel.

The metal finish on the FX units is somewhat darker than the silver finish on the 350Z pieces, but I find that they blend in well with the finish on the instrutment panel. I will try to post a detailed part list and DIY by this weekend. In the meantime, here are some pictures. Enjoy
VERY nice!!!,do you mind telling me what your cost was and oh by the way I live close buy do you want to do an other one ? I hear the second time is always easier!!! Thanks RON PS Does this work with the stock HU?

Last edited by lawnmore; 06-04-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2004 | 02:23 PM
gt3

Default Re: Re: Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU

Originally posted by lawnmore
VERY nice!!!,do you mind telling me what your cost was and oh by the way I live close buy do you want to do an other one ? I hear the second time is always easier!!! Thanks RON PS Does this work with the stock HU?
I think the infiniti part was about $80 and the SWI-X was about $50. PM me and maybe we can set up something after you get the parts. A free meal always works for me
Old 06-04-2004 | 03:59 PM
ACP

Hey no way, I am doing the same thing!

Awesome!

I also have an FX35, and noticed they were the same shape as my Z so I ordered and received the steering wheel controls last week.
I had both sides up, and it looked great (didn't plug it in, but noticed the plug was the same)

I am using the mode button on the left side, for my over take boost button. SKiDaZZLe is doing that part for me
Old 06-04-2004 | 04:20 PM
nissan_fanatic

You guys f*cking rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God you don't know how spoiled you get on it once you have it and when I was looking for the Z only to find it wasn't an option regaurdless the model I was disappointed, but I still remembered I was buying a Z and I was happy again

I was checking out the G35 the other day and I noticed the steering wheel controls and I was so envious, but now I don't have to be anymore. Please post a how to, I will be all on this. The PAC adapter can be a little b!tch, but not really once you understand how it works. I installed one on my 3.5SE Altima. I think the best thing to keep in mind is the location of the IR, i made the first mistake of putting it above the HU facing the trunk but I recieved inconsistant responses, then I realized why. The best anology I have is when you change your tv with the remote, you don't go stand beside the TV and point it to the wall where you came from do you??? NO, you point the remote toward the TV, so I drilled a small hole on the steering column and put the IR through that and it worked perfect. With that being said, where did you mount yours?? Please post directions, please!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2004 | 12:03 AM
Ak1nza

Very nice very cool! We FXers scour these forums looking for 350Z parts to retrofit into our cars. This is cool in that an FX part is now going in a 350Z.

Old 06-05-2004 | 05:48 AM
NzZ

Default Probably not possible...

but is there any way these audio controls could work with the OEM bose unit? The G35 (which has steering controls) and Z seem to have the same bose unit, so I wonder if the connections for remote audio are on the back of the HU.

NzZ
Old 06-05-2004 | 07:01 AM
HokieZ

FINALLY!! Now someone please post the entire list/procedure so I don't end up re-inventing the wheel. This has been the only thing I've wanted since I bought the car a year ago. Soon it will be perfect......

Good Work!
Old 06-05-2004 | 09:44 AM
ACP

Originally posted by HokieZ
FINALLY!! Now someone please post the entire list/procedure so I don't end up re-inventing the wheel. This has been the only thing I've wanted since I bought the car a year ago. Soon it will be perfect......

Good Work!
Here is alittle write up I did about a week ago, on how to remove the steering wheel controls
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....116#post870116

The FX steering wheel controls come only together (both sides)
and plug right into the 350Z harness in the steering wheel.

On if it controls the stock stereo in my z, I couldn't tell you yet...

I am sure gt3 write up will get into the wiring ...
Old 06-05-2004 | 10:15 AM
NismoKid

What are the part numbers for the FX steering wheel controls?

ACP, the diagram showed that one of the screws has to be replaced after every disassembly. Did you do that or was it really necessary and have to be done?
Old 06-05-2004 | 10:32 AM
lawnmore

Default Euro Steering Wheel Controls

Originally posted by veilside z
Nice Job - in Europe the 350Z comes with the Audio / Telephone controls on the Steering Wheel as standard
Does your car have the same Clarion/Bose HU as US cars? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2004 | 11:09 AM
gt3

Originally posted by NismoKid
What are the part numbers for the FX steering wheel controls?

ACP, the diagram showed that one of the screws has to be replaced after every disassembly. Did you do that or was it really necessary and have to be done?
The infiniti part number is 25550-cG010 (SWITCH, FX, Steering Wheel Switch). I simply replaced the 2 tamper proof bolts holding the airbag with regular bolts because I had to remove the airbag so often. These tamper proof bolts are there so your airbag wouldn't be stolen so easily. They were a b**ch to remove!!
Old 06-05-2004 | 11:48 AM
NismoKid

Originally posted by gt3
The infiniti part number is 25550-cG010 (SWITCH, FX, Steering Wheel Switch). I simply replaced the 2 tamper proof bolts holding the airbag with regular bolts because I had to remove the airbag so often. These tamper proof bolts are there so your airbag wouldn't be stolen so easily. They were a b**ch to remove!!
Does this part number include both left and right side buttons or just the left (I'm a Base model owner)? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Is the part number for the bolts PHA0163E?

Last edited by NismoKid; 06-05-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2004 | 01:52 PM
gt3

Originally posted by NismoKid
Does this part number include both left and right side buttons or just the left (I'm a Base model owner)? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Is the part number for the bolts PHA0163E?
Sorry didn't realize you don't have cruise control, the part number for you would be 25550-cG000. You may want to verify with the dealer, but I believe that still comes with both the left and right pieces. You will still need to replace both because the metal finish on the infiniti parts won't exactly match that of the Z.

Sorry I could not find the part number for the bolts. I would like to know as well.
Old 06-05-2004 | 02:12 PM
NismoKid

This is what my service manual shows for that bolt. This is also where I got that number, which I think is the part number.

Edit: Nevermind, it's just the diagram number...

Old 06-05-2004 | 09:33 PM
gt3

As promised, here is the DIY:

DIY LINK

Quick Reply: Steering wheel audio controls for your Z to work w/ aftermarket HU