Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

those with capacitors...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 08:07 PM
ss350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those with capacitors...

I'm in the process of installing my system. Today i was installing my 1 farad capacitor. I saw that it had to be "charged" before it was installed so i proceeded to do so with a 12-volt charger. I charged it outside of the car because It was just more conveniant. Now here's my question. When it was done charging, I disconnected the cap from the 12-volt source. But little by little the digital voltage read-out on the cap dropped from 13.5 volts to none.

Is this supposed to happen? Can I install it now? Or should I charge it in the car and immediately connect it the car battery as soon as its done charging?

This is my first install with a capacitor... any tips would be great.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:13 PM
SmokinZ

Default Re: those with capacitors...

Originally posted by ss350
I'm in the process of installing my system. Today i was installing my 1 farad capacitor. I saw that it had to be "charged" before it was installed so i proceeded to do so with a 12-volt charger. I charged it outside of the car because It was just more conveniant. Now here's my question. When it was done charging, I disconnected the cap from the 12-volt source. But little by little the digital voltage read-out on the cap dropped from 13.5 volts to none.

Is this supposed to happen? Can I install it now? Or should I charge it in the car and immediately connect it the car battery as soon as its done charging?

This is my first install with a capacitor... any tips would be great.
how is it that you can read the display without the cap. being hooked-up or installed? my led display doesn't light up until it's hooked-up and turned on (by ignition) ????
Old 06-06-2004, 09:18 PM
ss350

I pre-charged the cap before I installed it as directed by the manual. The reason the display will still light up when it is not connected is b/c the capacitor holds the charge and uses the voltage potential to light up the digital display.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:51 PM
SmokinZ

Originally posted by ss350
I pre-charged the cap before I installed it as directed by the manual. The reason the display will still light up when it is not connected is b/c the capacitor holds the charge and uses the voltage potential to light up the digital display.
ok, well mine doesn't light display up until it is powered.
but anyway, it is going to lose "juice" just sitting there - it's a battery. when you hook it up and power it, it will hold 14+ constantly with engine running.

just charge it up (on your car battery or whatever) immediatley before you install it and it will be fine.

then watch the display....