Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Modded XBOX PC

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 09:53 PM
SIX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded XBOX PC

Guys heres my Plan.

I want to install 2003 console put in a f 7001 screen and use a modded XBox as my PC to play dvd's and mp3's in such.

Any ideas where I can put the xbox.

Due to vibration issues I do not want to put it in the back. I have 2 JL 10's that would tear a hole in the hard drive.

This project is in the planning phase

Would like any input if possible.

Thx
Old 06-06-2004, 10:00 PM
stu46

Default Xbox

Most pics I've seen, including myself, have it behind the passenger seat. There's ton of room back in the compartment.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:53 PM
JimRHIT

Just get some isolation feet ... if ur JLs are gonna fugg up your hard drive while its back there ... they will be able to do it anywhere else in the car too
Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
ZZZealous007

Did you swap the HD? if not you should consider swapping it with a laptop hard drive. You can find converters from the net. THe laptop hard drive should be able to withstand a decent amount of vibration compared to your OEM HD. As for mounting, the glove box is the best place for easy access. If you plan on relocating your Cd drive, then you should consider putting the Xbox behind your seat in the Stock sub enclosure.

What OS are you running?
Old 06-12-2004, 07:36 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine in the compartment behind the passenger seat.. I have a 120GB Maxtor drive in there and I wired the xbox to automatically turn on and off everytime the ignition turns on and off.. (you have to solder two points together in the xbox to do this).

I also have the farenheight 7001 screen with 2003 nav pocket conversion (I have a 2004 Z)

My two main concerns were bumps and extreme heat and cold.. but it has not been an issue and everything had worked fine.

--mike
Old 06-12-2004, 02:29 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leemik, nice job! I've been thiking about putting a modded Xbox in my Z, but I'll wait til I have a little extra cash hanging around ($300 screen, $150 Xbox, HDD upgrade, etc). Would it be possible to place the video controller inputs into the space where the Touring heated seat buttons go (center console with blank space on non-Touring Z models) or better yet into the useless cupholder in the dash? Could something like XP or 2000 Pro work on the Xbox given a larger HD? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:59 PM
leemik
!

Originally posted by NismoKid
Would it be possible to place the video controller inputs into the space where the Touring heated seat buttons go (center console with blank space on non-Touring Z models) or better yet into the useless cupholder in the dash? Could something like XP or 2000 Pro work on the Xbox given a larger HD? Thanks in advance.
When you buy a screen you usually get a hand held IR remote to contol the video screen (change inputs /calibration, etc.)... I just put that remote up in the eyeglass holder..

You cannot run XP pro or Win2K on the Xbox--only linux for xbox.. but I don't care about that stuff.. I just wanted the games to be convienently stored on the HD, DVD playback and MP3/mpeg playback.. So I don't really need to have linux on my xbox.. I'm using the Xenium chip with EvoX OS..

go here to learn more about modded xboxes..
http://www.xbox-scene.com

--mike
Old 06-12-2004, 03:10 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. How user friendly is Linux for being able to play games, load DVDs, MP3s, etc? Now this brings up another thing; how do you play the sound through the stock HU?

I meant inputs as the slots where you plug in the controllers, there are four of those on the Xbox. I wanted to know the possibility of moving them (extending wires maybe) to different parts of the car's cabin so they don't come out of the glove box.

Originally posted by leemik
When you buy a screen you usually get a hand held IR remote to contol the video screen (change inputs /calibration, etc.)... I just put that remote up in the eyeglass holder..
Old 06-12-2004, 06:50 PM
SIX

I plan on puting the Xbox into the Sub enclosure. I will modify it so that the power button and 2 controller ports will be in the ash tray. i would use the other glove box but my amp is in there, and heat would be an issue. 1. The evo-x Software how does it compare to the Xbox media player? I got the smartxx chip and has plenty of room for upgrades. i put a 80 Gig laptop HD and dynamated the entire enclosure. its not installed yet trying to modify the the Cdrom to be put in one of the mailboxes for ease.

2. What are the opinions of F 7001 ? Anyone have any issues with there screens. I have mine on order.

I need to work out the buggs in the software before i hook it up to my Qween.

3. How did you modify your xbox to turn on and off with ignition?

4. Has anyone encountred heat issues with the Box?
Old 06-12-2004, 07:20 PM
leemik
!

so many questions

how do you play the sound through the stock HU?
FM Modulator

I wanted to know the possibility of moving them (extending wires maybe) to different parts of the car's cabin so they don't come out of the glove box.
I use the Logitech wireless contoller(s) expensive but works really well and makes the whole install really clean.

http://www.netjak.com/review.php/534

I will modify it so that the power button and 2 controller ports will be in the ash tray.
why bother? use the wireless controller and if you want to remotely turn the xbox on via a button do this:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/rf-power.php

IMHO...much easier in the long run and much cleaner install..

The evo-x Software how does it compare to the Xbox media player?
XBMP is nicer..but I'm old skool that's why I still use EvoX just personal preference

What are the opinions of F 7001 ?
It's fine for game playing and dvd viewing.. not great resolution for car computers though.. It's viewing angles are fine too as well as it's daytime brightness. No complaints.. This picture was posted in the redline Z pics but here it is again.. it gives you an idea of teh quaility:

If you do the above, and turn your xbox on .. it will actually stay on forever.. or until you shut off your ignition. but the cool thing is when you turn your ignition back on the xbox comes to life automatically too..

trying to modify the the Cdrom to be put in one of the mailboxes for ease.
I tried this and it's rather hard.. and possibly impossible because there is a maximum length on IDE cables.. depends on where your xbox is located i guess ad how much you are willing to gut it..

good luck,
--mike

Last edited by leemik; 06-12-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:28 PM
SIX

I plan on puting the Xbox into the Sub enclosure. I will modify it so that the power button and 2 controller ports will be in the ash tray. i would use the other glove box but my amp is in there, and heat would be an issue. 1. The evo-x Software how does it compare to the Xbox media player? I got the smartxx chip and has plenty of room for upgrades. i put a 80 Gig laptop HD and dynamated the entire enclosure. its not installed yet trying to modify the the Cdrom to be put in one of the mailboxes for ease.

2. What are the opinions of F 7001 ? Anyone have any issues with there screens. I have mine on order.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:35 PM
leemik
!

^^^^holy double post

how did that happen???

--mike
Old 06-12-2004, 08:20 PM
SIX

Wow that is odd.....
Old 06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
nissan_fanatic

Originally posted by SIX

As for the controller ports and power buttons, it won't work. I am getting mine back this week (hopefully) and I was going to do something very similar. That piece is all one unit and it is too big for the ashtray. I just wanted the power buttons on the ashtray so I could boot into either the dashboard or just boot up the xbox but it wasn't going to happen. Did you see the install of the vette in Car audio, the used a whole din for that and there is a reason. Anyway, good luck with your install.