Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Aftermarket Subs in Factory Location

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:50 PM
ddamato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Subs in Factory Location

I'm waiting for my Enthusiast Roadster to come in and was wondering if anyone had installed a sub in the location where the BOSE sub normally goes. I'm pretty convinced that the standard stereo will just not cut it.

Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:26 AM
MadneZz

BOSE sub suck, but the size for the housing is not standard.
It is a tab bit bigger then the normal 10" sub which mean you cannot just replace it without some sort of modification.

Also in most cases, free air sub dont sound as good.
Many ppl are installing the BassLink unit in that location.
Some build a custom box for it. Custom box are a bit hard to build due to the space available.
I had to build mine out of MDF and fiberglass.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:14 AM
fillup

I was able to get .91 cubic feet without to much difficulty. The trick for me was building a box shaped like a parallelogram and using a baffle board configuration on the face to mount the speaker and the box to the sheet metal. I would definitely recommend loads of sound dampening, this car rattles like hell. JL w-0 series sounded surprisingly good running off a older xtant amp with 300 watts. clean bass without to much boominess but still lots of presence.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:29 PM
ddamato

Originally posted by fillup
I was able to get .91 cubic feet without to much difficulty. The trick for me was building a box shaped like a parallelogram and using a baffle board configuration on the face to mount the speaker and the box to the sheet metal. I would definitely recommend loads of sound dampening, this car rattles like hell. JL w-0 series sounded surprisingly good running off a older xtant amp with 300 watts. clean bass without to much boominess but still lots of presence.

fillup do you have any pictures of your custom install?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 AM
fillup

I can try and get a few but everything is already in. I can draw a box diagram for you if you want it. PM me if you need it.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:24 AM
bastard

I assume that the roadster's sub location is like the coupe's:

Fillup is correct that using the stock sub area pretty much requires some sort of box inside there. The metal in that area has lots of holes in it, and will undoubtedly resonate badly. Also, do not forget that any flex in the panels of a speaker box directly equals a loss in output.

The difficulties are in making something with enough internal volume for the chosen sub that will still fit, and choosing a subwoofer with a shallow enough mounting depth to actually fit due to the angle of the stock opening. The shape of the area rules out a lot of subs.

I considered this when planning out my system. But this is really your only option in the roadster (except a trunk box, but that would be wasting space and you wouldn't get near as much audible bass out of the trunk)