Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

-- My Passport X50 Radar Detector Not Detecting? Experts Needed --

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Phatmitzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question -- My Passport X50 Radar Detector Not Detecting? Experts Needed --

Experts,

I got my x50 last week. Custom mounted and hardwired. Didn’t mess with the settings. Only switch from AUTO mode to HIGHWAY mode when I get on the freeway. But lately I have notice that my radar is not detecting? Ever since last week there was only this once it went off when a cop drive by in front of me(other than catching the supermarket sensors). Rest of the times I spots the cops with my eyes, not the detector. It didn’t make a sound. Note that all those times the cops are in a moving motion. Not parked. So is it because often they only turn on their radar at speed traps, but not when they are patrolling? Or is there something I need to change with the default setting?

Well, because last night I finally got mine. 80 at a 65 zone(Dude! People were all going at least 75! So yeah, I was going slightly faster than the pack). I didn’t even see it coming until finding myself looking at the flashing lights in my rear view mirror. Ugh…

Any info or suggestions would be great.

P.S.
Anyone know how much $ I’m gonna be donating to California?

Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry... maybe you just have lazy cops in your area A lot of them just park and "monitor traffic".. after all, if you were a cop, how could you drive around for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week!?! It gets tiring after a while..

I have my 8500 x50 on "expert mode" this allows me to track multiple bogies.. I have also turned off x band because I don't think anyone still uses that in my area..

--mike
Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I thought my X50 had problems too. Turns out that cops weren't using their radars. When it does go off, it goes off long before they "bogey" comes along. I love it.

I compared it side-by-side with my dad's V1. They both usually go off at the same time. The V1 has the advantage of arrows, but not worth an extra $150 IMHO.

Victor
Old 06-25-2004, 12:19 PM
zorrocar1

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
At first I thought my X50 had problems too. Turns out that cops weren't using their radars. When it does go off, it goes off long before they "bogey" comes along. I love it.

I compared it side-by-side with my dad's V1. They both usually go off at the same time. The V1 has the advantage of arrows, but not worth an extra $150 IMHO.

Victor
I agree I have the passport 8500 and it is great I also have it set on Expert mode. What a great idea. Sometimes cops will sit in parking lots where false alarms go off and if you oly have it on so you can detect only one you may get caught because you are just used to your radar going off in that area.

On the other note ask if you can take defensive driving. 1. It will lower your insurance. 2. You will still have to pay for your ticket but it will not go on your record. If you have already taken it ask for it again and the clerk will tell you that you have already taken it then you say I would like to deffered or something like that and you can take it again. But, you have to ask... Well that is how it is in Texas anyways.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by zorrocar1
...On the other note ask if you can take defensive driving. 1. It will lower your insurance. 2. You will still have to pay for your ticket but it will not go on your record. If you have already taken it ask for it again and the clerk will tell you that you have already taken it then you say I would like to deffered or something like that and you can take it again. But, you have to ask... Well that is how it is in Texas anyways.
Yeah. I will be asking for traffic school so there will be no point on the record. In California, I think we can only request one traffic school per 18 months of each sitation. My last speeding ticket was like 3 years ago.

Old 06-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Arash

i know nor cal cops rarely drive with the radar on. theyll just turn it on once they see you going fast.

i also turned the X band off, and i turned the POP on. anyone know why the default has POP off?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by leemik
I have my 8500 x50 on "expert mode" this allows me to track multiple bogies.. I have also turned off x band because I don't think anyone still uses that in my area.
Same here. I know mine works as I drive to work every morning around 6:15 opposite direction to all the patrol cars going in for shift change at the west Nashville station. I often get a wave as it seems we know eachother from our daily drive. I know they dont mind 73 in the 65 as I wave back .
Old 06-28-2004, 07:00 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by Arash
i know nor cal cops rarely drive with the radar on. theyll just turn it on once they see you going fast.

i also turned the X band off, and i turned the POP on. anyone know why the default has POP off?
POP?