Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Connecting wiring harness & Alpine harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 06:58 PM
cehome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting wiring harness & Alpine harness

I have the 98 and up metra nissan harness. I have a few questions trying to connect it to the Alpine 9833 harness.

1. What do I do with the black with white stripe wire? It's labeled "amp ground".

2. Can I cut the ring terminal off the Alpine ground cable and just solder it up to the black ground wire of the metra harness? That way I don't have to connect the alpine black wire to the car chasis?

3. The illumination wire is purely optional right?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
cantoda

I just recently installed the 9833...

1. I am running an external amplifier so I didn't use the speaker wire harness but the metra instructions say to connect the 'amp ground" to the chassis of your HU (head unit).

2. Everything I have found concerning grounding the HU says NOT to connect it to the factory harness ground. Apparently, it is a very weak ground point. So forget about using the ground wire on the metra harness to ground your HU.

Once you remove the console, behind the gauge cluster is a good chassis ground (looks like bare metal with hole directly in the center). I think it is clear coated so make sure you sand the area around the hole before you attach your HU ground to get good contact. You should also add a star washer for good measure. This is where I connected mine and it works perfectly, no noise whatsoever.

3. I connected the illumination wire but it is only there to dim your HU display when you turn on your lights...shouldn't be a problem if you leave it disconnected.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:34 AM
cehome

1. So I have to connect the amp ground wire to the head unit metal casing? How do I secure it?

2. If I use the alpine ground to the chasis. What do I do with the metra ground wire? Do I just tape it up?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:52 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by cehome
1. So I have to connect the amp ground wire to the head unit metal casing? How do I secure it?

2. If I use the alpine ground to the chasis. What do I do with the metra ground wire? Do I just tape it up?
I just got a new radio (pioneer FH-P5000MP) and I'm going to ground it to one of the 10mm bolts holding down the shifter plate. The factory ground wire from the metra harness is simply going to get one of those crimp caps on the end of the wire..

--mike
Old 07-08-2004, 06:08 AM
ousig

I recently installed the 9835 in my Z.

1. I did not connect the amp ground to anything.

2. You dont have to do anything to the ground wire on the metra harness. I also grounded the HU to a bolt that is behind the triple guage cluster. There are two bolts already there.

3. The illumination is optional , but if you want the just connect the Positive wire from the metra harnes to the illumination wire from the alpine.

Bonus - Make sure you connect the power antenna wire from the alpine to the metra harness. Our cars have a amplified antenna that has to be turned on or you get crappy reception for the radio.