Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

radar detector advice? (not what detector to buy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 01:02 AM
elyliu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radar detector advice? (not what detector to buy)

This is not another thread about what radar detector is the best. I dont want to start up another radar war.

I know radar detectors can't possibility 100% guarantee you you wont get ANY speeding tickets. Just doesnt seem possible.

Any tips on when you CAN'T rely on your radar detector? Maybe when the roads are COMPLETELY empty and the cop isnt aiming it at any other cars?
Old 07-24-2004, 01:38 AM
atom777

u cant "aim" a radar at specific cars. radar is emitted in a small cone and gets biggers as it goes away from the source.. anything inside that cone is bouncing the radar back to the transmitter/receiver and itz running a little math problem and shows the fastest speed...either way if the cop has gone through his tracking history correctly, he has already determined which car is going faster than the others..guessed the speed and hit the lock key and verified it on radar. the radar doesnt emit a signal when itz on lock, so the only time the detector will do u any good is either A. to let u know ure bout to get a ticket B. when therez a lazy cop around that doeznt lock his radar or C. theres a cop or a SMART cart sittin there emitting a signal to run deterence for those of u with a detector.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:57 AM
AZZGUY

Originally posted by atom777
u cant "aim" a radar at specific cars. radar is emitted in a small cone and gets biggers as it goes away from the source.. anything inside that cone is bouncing the radar back to the transmitter/receiver and itz running a little math problem and shows the fastest speed...either way if the cop has gone through his tracking history correctly, he has already determined which car is going faster than the others..guessed the speed and hit the lock key and verified it on radar. the radar doesnt emit a signal when itz on lock, so the only time the detector will do u any good is either A. to let u know ure bout to get a ticket B. when therez a lazy cop around that doeznt lock his radar or C. theres a cop or a SMART cart sittin there emitting a signal to run deterence for those of u with a detector.
When you first get a sound on your detector - slow down to the legal limit - wait 3 or 4 minutes before zooming again - this has always worked without fail for me! The only time it wont work is when you are close to a cop and he turns his radar on and you are the first in line! GOTCHA!! So far, this hasnt happened to me.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:13 AM
zzz350

The cheaper the unit, the more false signals you get. False signals are especially bad around urban areas. Watch yo azz
Old 07-24-2004, 07:45 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you are correct that a radar detector wont save u when you are the only car on the road. this happened to a friend of mine when i was with him late at night. his radar detector went off doing about 20 over the speed limit on the highway and of course he got pulled over because there was no other car on the road for the cop to even think about. the cop even told him that was dumb of him to rely on his detector with no other cars on the road.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Mikestro

Radar detectors used to work better before the advent of the "instant on" radar that cops use today. 15 years ago, if you slowed down every time your radar started to beep, it was pretty safe to say you wouldn't get a ticket (at least that was mine and my friends experience in Houston, TX. Other jusrisdictions might have had instant on before that, but with no internet, I didn't know about it :-D ). Of course this meant you were slowing down every 1/2 mile for "false positives" but you get my point.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:39 AM
JSON

what about lasers....i thought if it detected laser it already meant the lasers on your car
Old 07-24-2004, 10:36 AM
phoenixtroy

Originally posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX
what about lasers....i thought if it detected laser it already meant the lasers on your car
since lasers are more focused, you will probably won't get an alert if the cop shoots the cars in front of you. You will only get the warning if the cop shoots you. By then it is too late.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:44 AM
dczoner

Laser diffusers are legal in CA!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:02 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved
Old 07-24-2004, 01:31 PM
atom777

lasers actually have a sight and can b aimed at a car in the middle of a bunch of cars... hehehe itz kool.. umm anyway.. yeah it ure detector just went off its pretty much just to warn u that u r about to get a ticket
Old 07-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Infern0

Right, but don't forget laser is also light, and to say light doesn't bounce would be pretty dumb statement. If a cop is shooting a laser, you will most likely catch it 2 or 3 cars before yours depending on how close to those cars you are. Because a laser isn't radio waves like the other bands your radar detects it is usually 100% accurate.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:11 PM
syf0n

My experience with "using a detector intelligently", in annotated format:

1.) During the day, if you have eagle eyes and a detector you should be okay. At night, assume there is a cop behind every tree. Only speed in packs or with a "rabbit" out front.

2.) For those unaware, the "rabbit" method involves letting some other speeder get about 1/4 mile ahead of you then following him at that approximate speed. The cop will most certainly peg him first.

3.) Never stay in the left lane very long. A majority of tickets are given to people on the inside lane (leftmost).

4.) Always check your mirrors and know the make, model, and color of the car behind you. This little game will help you realize when a cop is barreling down on you and will prevent you from being paced to recieve a ticket.

5.) Looking up never hurts...I have been on road trips where I have noticed a radar plane ahead and had the opportunity to slow down.

6.) Closer to the end of the month is when the slacker highway cops tend to get out there to jack up the monthly dept. revenue. I tend to do most of my major highway travel earlier in the month, whatever month it may be.

On the subject of laser: in most instances a laser alert basically only alerts you to the fact that you have indeed been bent over and f*cked in the *** by Johnny Law. However, several times I have been on the highway and had refracted laser bounced off the car in front of me set off my detector, giving me time to slow down. In my case none of this matters anyways as I have a nice set of laser jammers

I hope someone found this useful Also there's a great PDF file of a manual on evading tickets called "PAY NO FINE" floating around somewhere. it is about 100 pages of really well thought out technical excuses to get out of any ticket. So if you are a haggler, it is good bathroom material to browse over for the next time you're in court.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:17 AM
AZZGUY

Originally posted by Infern0
Right, but don't forget laser is also light, and to say light doesn't bounce would be pretty dumb statement. If a cop is shooting a laser, you will most likely catch it 2 or 3 cars before yours depending on how close to those cars you are. Because a laser isn't radio waves like the other bands your radar detects it is usually 100% accurate.
Yes, even though I have a detector I usually try to "tag along" a car going 10 to 15 mph over the limit - (and keeping an eye on the rear view mirror) - the combination is very effective in prevening tickets!! And - going around mountain curves is quite safe - not easy for cops to set up there. Last year - headed for vacation I was going up a long mountin around all the curves going 80 or plus ( 55 mph zone ) and my detector started beeping - I cut it back to legal - at the last curve at the top of the mountain the cop was sitting there with his gun pointed at me - NO TICKET!! - I was legal.

Just use your head and cut back anytime you sense things are not quite right !!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:28 AM
mofoz

as stated before, especially on the highway. check your mirrors. so many times cops have flown by me with no radar on trying to catch up to someone about 1/2 mile ahead.