Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

amp anchor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004 | 09:30 AM
pargion

Default amp anchor?

Hi everyone,

let me just say that i've learned a crap load of info reading this forum and i'm now motivated to gut the stock stereo system and install one myself.

so i'm wondering, how is everyone anchoring their amp in the glove compartment location? do you just screw it into the floor of the compartment? just want to make sure i don't bust something that will end up costing me a fortune

also, how does the wiring get from the sides into the glove compartment? is there a hole, or do you have to punch a hole in it? thanks for all the help.
Old 09-20-2004 | 06:31 PM
rotaryrocket7

You cannot drill underneath the drivers side glove box/compartment. The gas tank is below and the risk isn't worth it. I would put a board in the compartment that fits snug (maybe use expandable foam underneath to get a better fit and mount the amp to that.

Wiring can easily go to the boxes from underneath. You'll need to remove the stock sub mounting bracket and bring the wire up through. I removed the seat and carpet to make it easier.

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2004 | 12:46 PM
motown

Actually, the gas tank is below both the driver's side AND the passenger's side. rotary's right, don't drill into the metal below the glove box or on the driver's side. You can try to mount it to the plastic glovebox itself, but that'd be easy for a thief to pry out. If you're not worried about that, go for it, just use short screws or bolts. That compartment's kind-of a bear to take out, you need to remove big parts of the interior to get it loose. Good luck with your install!
Old 09-22-2004 | 09:17 AM
King Tut

Inside both compartments you will find a piece of sound deadening material. I just used double sided tape and mounted my dual amp rack on top of that. I haven't heard it slide around at all and it hasn't hit anything yet. I was thinking of also using some double sided tape on the sound deadening material to make that not move too.