Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

PLEASE HELP : Adjusting the JL 1000.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Webiteks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP : Adjusting the JL 1000.1

I had my stereo installed by a local shop and I am not satisifed with the adjustments on my amplifiers. I've told them how I want it but they can't get it right. There's just TOO MUCH BASS to where it overpowers the lyrics in all the songs I play. . . and that's with even adjusting the equalizer down completely on the touchscreen on the Eclipse AVN2454

I was curious if someone could possibly help me out as in what a good set-up is for the amplifers for a very tight hard hitting bass, but then great highs?

You can see my setup and what all I have here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=89965

I've been messing with the settings on the amplifers myself, but since I don't know a darn thing with what i'm doing, It just sounds worse and worse.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:41 PM
GQ 350z

First and foremost--check your gains settings--what that essentially does is multiply the amount of bass output. Next, you want to check your filters--there are two types, a HPF (high pass) and a LPF (low pass). The setup needs to be crossed over so that you get a nice smooth transition from your highs ---> mids----> lows. It's kind of hard to do over the Internet because you can't hear how its sounding based on minute changes. Make sure your filters are on, and start off with all the settings flat on the amplifier. One at a time start adjusting the gain setting.

If in a ported box, check the subsonic filter. If it is in a sealed box, make sure subsonic is off. If you have more questions let me know, I'll try to go in more depth later on.

ravi
Old 09-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Webiteks

I looked on the 1000.1 amp and don't see anything that says "Gain" If you could possibly PM me before I go start toying with it and go more in detail if possible. . . that'd be awesome. This is all a foriegn language for me. I don't know what controls are what.

I also need help with my 450x4 amp too *sigh*
Old 09-19-2004, 09:25 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for the JL amps the gain is the input sensitivity *****. a lot of the tuning as gq350 said has to be done by ear, but a good place to start with the loudness of the mids, highs and bass is the input sensitivity.

what you're supposed to do is set the volume on your radio to 3/4 full volume and turn up each amp until whatever it is powering starts to distort the sound. then if the bass is still too loud (which i can imagine it is with 2 10w7's) you can decrease the input sensitivity on the 1000/1 some more.

if you want to be really technical with the tuning settings JL has a way to tune the amps based on the voltage and stuff i can't really remember. you can find the tuning method on their website.

i love ur amp rack by the way. the z design looks awesome.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Webiteks

Thanks for the tips!

One big question though. When my volume is up 3/4 and i'm adjusting the settings on the JL amps. What should my graphic equalizer be set on my Eclipse AVN2454 Head Unit? Just flat all the way across the middle?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:32 PM
hndumafia

yea when tuning the amps all the equalizer settings should be flat on the h/u.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:34 PM
GQ 350z

Sorry to go off topic, but Rajiv, did you use 4 guage wiring for both amps? If so how did you run your wires? I'm about to embark on my setup, just looking for some pointers. Also, how are you liking the 10w7? I'm going with the same sub/amp combo--is there enough bass for songs like lil jon, etc?

Ravi
Old 09-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Webiteks

I can tell you right now, even though my setup is a bit shitty at the moment. . . Lil John songs are INSANE with a 1000x1 and two 10w7s - haha!
Old 09-19-2004, 09:47 PM
hndumafia

i have a 4 gauge running from the battery to a distribution block with 4gauge in and then two 4 gauge running out, one to each amp. ive been thinking about adding a second 4 gauge wire from the battery to the distribution block but i dont know if it's actually necessary and i'm just too lazy to do that now.

the 10w7 is much better than the two 10w3v2's i had before, and it is definitely sufficient for lil john, though i find myself wondering what two 10w7's would be like now that i've had one for a few months.

webiteks - i was wondering how your beauty panel in front of the two subs stays in place. is it actually attached to the box or is it a seperate piece. if it is a seperate piece how does it stay in place, just a tight fit or something else? my panel is a seperate piece and fits pretty tight but whenever i'm driving hard (which is pretty much whenever i'm driving) it always falls down.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Webiteks-

I would venture to say you have not discovered everything about that HU.

There is a control for the sub output...I dont know the specific comands on that unit, but I know on the most basic HU that eclipse makes there is a subwoofer specific control.

The shop I get all my stuff from has that HU on display, I will check it out and see if I can figuer it out so I can help you from here.

I wouldnt mess with your gain settings just yet. That HU can control more then you will ever want to...however like someone suggested before make sure your crossover settings are correct or what would be your badass system will sound worse then stock.

Whats wrong with the multi channel amp?

GQ 350z-
Id venture to say that the shop used a distribution block and ran something like 0/0(?) gauge wire from the battery to the distribution block then 4 gauge to the amps.

Last edited by Ahsmo; 09-19-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Webiteks

Ahsmo. .
I've used every setting on my HU. The equalizer is the main setting for everything. . . but there is a subwoofer level that goes from 1 - 4. It sucks becuase I have my low end of the EQ all the way down, and the bass control to "1" and the subs just sound like ****. it still overpowers the music. I think from what i've heard from others is that its that Input Sensitivity (gain control) I'll have to mess with.

I just never knew what any of the other controls were on the amps and what I can do to adjust them to perform at their peak.

And with the subwoofer beauty plates. . . they just fit extremely snug. Never had a problem with them and I drive extremely hard and have my bass hitting very hard as well.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Webiteks

Everyone and/or Anyone

Here are specific settings on my JL 1000.1 amp that I don't have a clue about. Could someone help me out? What do all these do?

Filter Slope
12db or 24db

Infrasonic filter
ON or OFF

Infrasonic Freq.
10 - 60

Bass EQ
ON or OFF

Input Voltage
Low or High

Output Polarity
Normal or Reversed

"Q"
.5 - 4.3

"Center Freq"
25 - 85

"Boost"
0 - +15

Sooooooooo confusing! I hope someone can help me out as to what to set what on and why. I want this to sound as good as I can get it.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by Webiteks
Ahsmo. .
I've used every setting on my HU. The equalizer is the main setting for everything. . . but there is a subwoofer level that goes from 1 - 4. It sucks becuase I have my low end of the EQ all the way down, and the bass control to "1" and the subs just sound like ****. it still overpowers the music. I think from what i've heard from others is that its that Input Sensitivity (gain control) I'll have to mess with.

I just never knew what any of the other controls were on the amps and what I can do to adjust them to perform at their peak.

And with the subwoofer beauty plates. . . they just fit extremely snug. Never had a problem with them and I drive extremely hard and have my bass hitting very hard as well.

okay, yes I agree then, amp adjustment... or you could get a line level bass ****... I have one in my car. They are pretty easy to hook up if you are interested in that...

On your amp... from that list the only thing that would be the 'gain control' is the 'input voltage' switch...Thats very strange that they would put a button on there rather then a ****. Whatever, put it on low if it isnt already...

I just downloaded the amp manual on that beast. There is an input sensitivity adjustment thing. It is right to the right of the 'input voltage' switch. That is where you need to adjust things..

Last edited by Ahsmo; 09-20-2004 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Webiteks

I already adjusted that for the bass level. What are all of those other settings for? Would I benefit from adjusting some of them?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Zrated

The 'input voltage' switch position is determined by the pre amp output of the head unit. It has the ranges in the manual. My 450/4 has the switch set to High, with 4V preouts from the HU.

...Also to get the proper gain setting for the JL amps
On the JL website you'll find a chart where you look up the Ohm rating of your speaker (ex 4 ohm, 2ohm) and it will list a voltage that goes with it.

You want to play a constant frequency (like you find on a test CD) that is within the range of the speaker. and put a voltage meter across the speaker output of the amp. Adjust the input sensitivity **** until the voltage reading on the meter matches what is listed on the chart.

There may be a little more to it, like volume setting, but This is what I remember. It explains it all in the manual.

Last edited by Zrated; 09-20-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:00 PM
MonkeyBoy

Everything you need to know to tune this amp is in this pdf file.

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/1000_1_MAN.pdf
Old 09-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Webiteks

Thanks guys. I got it all set up. Just did trial and error tests and got it to where I love it.