Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 0 Guage

Is HUGE.

This is gonna be a fun install
Old 10-05-2004, 05:14 PM
tractng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,

Is going to be hard. I suggest you use a size 10 gauge string (cable) first. Then tied it with masking tape and piggy that thing through.

Tony
Old 10-05-2004, 05:21 PM
tacomaboy

yeah, I have some thin cable to run it...

but this is gonna be a killer system. I hope I can pull the fabrication parts... never fiberglassed before...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM
tacomaboy

www.tacoma.tzo.com/theZ.htm
Attached Thumbnails 0 Guage-ebay-002-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 06:10 AM
Hazade

yea 0 gauge is ridiculous. i've never worked with that. i ran 2 gauge before and that was a b!tch
Old 10-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Daewoo

can't wait to see the finished project. As for the 0 gauge wire, I really didn't have a hard time running it. I ran it under the carpet along the foot plate on the driver side into the area under the glove box and up from there. The wire was a high strand count and very flexible.

I also ran mines to a distribution/fuse block and ran everything from there. running the cable was actually one of the easier parts of my install.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:22 AM
tacomaboy

Yeah I ran the 0 guage last night. Wasnt too bad but I tore my hand up a bit trying to run it throught the firewall. It looks damned good though. I am distributing it to 4 guage 3 way (2 amps, 1 cap). I might have enough 0 guage left to do a 0 guage ground kit... the blue wire matches the paint perfectly.. OH it looks NOICE. How many feet of wire does the gruond kit call for and how many end caps (I will need to buy those, and 0 guage are not cheap).

I saw for the first time the stock ground wires are like 8 ga at best....

Man I cant wait to get time to finish this. My Zeus 6400 (85x4 at 4 ohms) came in yesterday.

I need to come up with a good amp rack that will hold both amps and the cap where the bose sub goes...I am thinking of mounting them vertically. I wonder if I can fit the Sirius box and the rear Xovers in there too... and the distribution box... hmm, I guess its not *that* big.

I am taking pics as I go (well my wife is, how cool is she?) and will get them up when I have time.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Daewoo

for my ground I simply tied all of my grounds back to a distribution block and then grounded with 0 gauge. I cheated with the 0 gauge ground.

I went to autozone and purchased a 0 gauge battery cable, but the terminal connecter off and bolted her in. 36" was only $9.

can't wait to see the pics.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Daewoo

sorry about the huge pic. got to remember to resize!!
Old 10-08-2004, 06:03 AM
tacomaboy

Holy crap my brother and I were up till 2 last night tackling this. We have quite a few pics but twords the end we got too tired and slacked off of picture taking.

We have the 0 ga distributed to three 4 guage (amps and cap) and all amps in the bose compartment. Its really impossible to make it look nice in there, but it looks decent, and the connections are all allen set... SOLID. Then we installed the rear speakers and we put the rear tweets (attenuated at -3dB) on the side panel just in front of the strut bar tilted forward some. Things went great up till this point.

Then my brother said, "Hey were doing so well lets do the front speakers". And I said "OK".

Damn... well at first it wasnt bad. All went well, but I had problems running the wire through the grommet... I was trying to use the harness on top, while my brother just used the lower grommet (I need to put some wire wrap on it for looks). I also disconnected the upper harness and couldnt figure out how to reconnect it...

So finally we both get the wires run through the lower grommet and we put a spacer (about 3/4" plastic) in and put the doors on. I try to rll down the windows and nothing happens. No locks nothing. It takes us 30 - 45 mins to figure out how the heck to get the harness re attached, But that got it.

Then we roll down the windows CLUNK. DAMN!! It hits the magnet despite the spacer! So we have to redo it again! It takes THREE spacers to get it to fit, and of course when we get the panel back on, the speaker cover hits and pops off! ARRRGGGHH!!!

Plus, I need to find out where to mount the front tweets,

However, on the way to work today, the front woofs and rear components really did sound worlds better than the stock setup.. it was just disorienting with the tweets behind me...
Old 10-08-2004, 06:04 AM
tacomaboy

Magnets are pretty big for a 6.5"

Last edited by tacomaboy; 10-08-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:09 PM
AV630

If i were you i would take the stock speaker tear it apart and use it as a spacer just drill into it.

also nice to see another bumpin 350z =P

im running

Two Eclipse TITANIUM subs.
Rockford Power T5002 to power the subs.
Two 4 GA Power Wires and Two 4 GA Ground Wires
Pioneer Premier Head unit with MP3, WMA, and Auto Volume and Sub Controlls and a Audio IN for the Xbox.
Xbox
Farenheit TV Screen.
Wireless Xbox Controllers
Custom Box to house the subs. 2.20 CU FT
Custom False Floor.
Vinyl Circle for Subs.

and soon I will also have boston 6.5's
Old 10-08-2004, 04:15 PM
tractng

tacomaboy,

I wasted two speaker grilles. I cut part of the clippings off and now it won't stay.

I just bought two new speaker grilles from Performance Nissan. I will work on it tonight with Patient.

I have noticed if i turn the volume loud, the speaker (rubber) contacts the grille, despite that I trimmed the speaker down already. I was experiementing with my old grille.

Would frequent contact ruin the speaker besides it being annoying?

Tony
Old 10-08-2004, 05:55 PM
tacomaboy

AV630 thats exactly what I did and it worked PERFECTLY. I am SO HAPPY with it. It sounds SOOOO much better. Now to locate the tweeter, figure out why Sirius stopped working, and build the sub box.

I am exhausted.

tractng how much are the grills? I might want to install my tweets in the grills and buy backups...

I would imagine frequent contact with the plastic grill would tear up the surround... best thing to do is set a high pass filter to reduce the bass, that will reduce the excursion and stop the rub, but may kill some bass... do you have a sub?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:25 PM
SIX

We need to meet up. one kicking Z to another, PM me
Old 10-09-2004, 12:40 AM
tractng

tacomaboy,

The grill cost $13 bucks at Performance Nissan. As of now, I still have not been able to get the grille to sit flush. I have cut the inside part. The dam speaker is just to big (the front metal ring is holding the grill from sitting flush). I give up.

I do have a sub in the stock location.

Where are you planning to put your sub? I spent weeks deciding where I should put it. I really wanted the stealth look (thieves).

Tony
Old 10-09-2004, 09:07 AM
eddieclayton

tacomaboy:

Nice choice on the Crystal Components I've had the same exact speakers waiting to go into my Z (for a few years now )

Not sure if you mentioned yet or not but what sub are you using and where is it going?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:40 AM
tacomaboy

SIX... PM on the way

tractng, have you tried fabricating a 3/4" MDF ring to mount them or tear out the old speakers to mount them? I have a few pics I can put up tonight to show how well it worked. You can see the Crystals have big magents, and they fit just perfectly... also, you may have to trim one tab off the grills... more than one and it wont hold, so you have to be careful... I dont really like the design of the door panel, they could easily have added lots of room.

I have thought long and hard about where to put my sub. I thought about the stock location, but the eD just is way too much speaker to go there... so I am going to try my damndest to replicate this http://www.activetuning.com/pat/4/7/
I tried to buy a box from them but they cant do it since I live so far... oh well, at least I get to learn hehe.

Eddie the Crystals sound great! I ended up using the rears with the woofer only (the tweets are in the closet now) and tuning them for midbass... works great! The fronts are in the door with the tweets sitting in the kick panels. It really does sound gooood, but I need to dynamat the rear enclosure, I get some vibrating at high volumes. The speakers fit very well... but in the doors you CAN NOT use the Crystal brackets... trust me, they dont work. Cut up the stock speakers and use them.

The sub I am using is an Elemental Designs eD12.22A 1000Watts RMS dual 2 ohm flat Nomex cone 12" Transducer.

Its a beast. 3 Year warranty. I LOVE it. I HIGHLY recommend ED. Youll get pics soon I hope, the box work will be this weekend.

But so far everything is good.. I FINALLY modified the metra kit to flush mount the Kenwood MP919, and it looks 100 times better. And, for some reason my Sirius broke... I need to call them. And my power mirrors are out I wonder if my brother pulled the fuse accidentally or if I didnt clip the plug in well enough.

This car is not the easiest to work on but it is the most fun!!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:00 AM
mumra

I'm looking foward to seeing your sub box design. That type of setup for my car was vitually impossible given the size of my sub. Are you going to do do fiberglass as well?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:04 AM
tacomaboy

Yep, itll be my first fiberglass. I am contemplating painting it myself, as all I should need will be a drop sprayer, and then i can use it to paint other stuff. But if not I can take it to get painted down the street.

I will try to get some pics up tonight.

So many things to do so little time. I need to mow the dang lawn so bad, and I want to wax the car, but I gotta wash it again, and I want to start the sub box, but I also have class tonight (grad school) and work... ugh... why didnt God put 40 hours in a day?

Quick Reply: 0 Guage