Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

reducing road noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 07:03 AM
350ZOWNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reducing road noise

Last few days i have been applying liquid sound deadener (from Secondskinaudio.com) all over my car. SO far i have done the doors and all the rear hatch area. Really helped with road noise there. Was wondering if anyone has actually sound deadened the floor and is it worth it? alot of work to take the carpets out... but if someone has done it and really helped alot i would be willing to try!

Thanks for any help
Old 10-27-2004, 08:11 AM
dannichols

I did as much as possible without taking out the seats. Basically just unhinged the carpet behind the seats, along the door area and in front up to under the dash, then pulled it back and inwards as much as possible. There is already a small amount of insulation material down there as well as some white styrofoam looking pieces. I applied Dynamat Extreme down there and it has helped a lot. I'm sure it would be better if I put another layer of something on top of it but I'm not into the added weight. One reason I stayed away from liquid on the inside is the heat, I know that Secondskin is heat resistant but at the extreme heats experienced on the floorpan at some spots I'm afraid it would get at least a little sticky and become a mess if I want to take it out. I found that if I get the Dynamat cold it comes off pretty easy. Living in the desert we get 110+ degrees days in the summer, I personally would not put anything without a barier layer of metal inside the car, I put liquid in the wheel wells and under the car.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:24 AM
ezee

I couldn't stand the road noise so I did the same thing you're doing but I didn't apply any to the floor. The only places that need the stuff are places where noise is coming through and there's little noise coming through the floor.

Concentrate your efforts on the wheel wells (both inside and outside) and above the muffler (i.e., underneath the spare tire), the rear strut brace, and inside the cavities behind the seats (over the wheel wells and the area around the drive shaft hump). I must have about 6 coats on the wheel wells alone.

What a huge difference, much quieter now and much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 AM
350ZOWNZ

thanks. to take the carpets all the way out i would have to unplug some airbag stuff. to much work.. the liquid stuff (second skin audio SPECTRUM v2) is heat resistant up to 450F.. so actually more than dynamat extreme..... ill probably just pull back the carpets like u said and apply some.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:06 AM
dannichols

Why not just put it under the vehicle instead of ripping out the floor carpeting? It's the same sheet-metal no? Actually I would consider putting another coat under mine. Where can I find out more bout the liquid Secondskin? I don't even see it as a product on their website. All I see is mat products there.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
350ZOWNZ

there website is being *updated* most of there products arent on there site (and they have newer products to). There temporarly website is http://www.secondskinaudio.com/specialpricing.html

Sortof was thinking of putting it on the under part of the car.. i think ill just live with any road noise under my carpets ..
Old 10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
ezee

I used liquid Fatmat, very effective. www.fatmat.com