Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

audio newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:59 AM
desiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio newbie

Hey Folks,

I'm a new owner of an 04 and Enth Z. So far so good, except the sound system. It needs an upgrade bad! I have no idea about setting up sound systems, the needed components, etc. What are some essentials that I would need? I think I'm looking for a sub and replace all stock speakers. Also, would like to add the Alpine TME 680 into the cubby, since I've heard its a perfect fit, but does that basically have everything i need? Also, need an amp. I'm probably going to buy all this stuff off ebay to save some cash...I would really appreciate ure input!

thx!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:09 AM
dannichols

Are you doing the install yourself? I think you are on the right track. Basically replace everything from the head unit, speakers, amps, and sub woofer. Some sort of sound deadening/insulation product, better wiring, etc. If you use E-bay, buy from the bigger guys that actually have a warranty.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM
desiguy

thx for the info. is the alpine an actual headunit or just the lcd screen? i think it was the alpine tme660 or so that everyone have been talking about on these forums that fit the cubby. what size subs do u recommend? ive heard some ppl have problems with rattling and what not. i'm not looking for deafining levels, jus enough to draw some attention..hehe...
Old 11-13-2004, 07:21 PM
808_FairladyZ

Hi Desiguy,
If you plan to install your system on your own, you really should give your system alot of thought. You don't want to start the install unprepared and realize that its not that easy. Also, you don't want your car to have to be out of commision any longer than needed. You need to carefully plan this out. You should also prepare to do everything all at the same time(Deck, amp, speaker, sound deadning, etc...) I say this because in order for you to change the rear speakers and run wire through your Z, you will have to take off all of your paneling. While your paneling is off, you should use this time to deadin your rear hatch areas. Deadin every where that you can. If your on a budget, use roofing tape. Be sure to use a heat gun also to really allow the tar to adheire to the vehicle. Also, when you replace your rear speakers, you will need to run new wires. There is a blocker some where inline with the rear speakers that prevent them from playing loud even with an amp. If you decide to remove your seats and they have a built in air bag system, be sure not to turn your ignition on unless you plug the air bag module back in. If not, your air bag system will think that something if faulty and wont work properly. In that case, your sales representitive and or repair shop will have to reset the system. If you have any more question, you may PM me. FYI, I work for a reputable Car Audio and Alarm Install Shop here in Hilo, Hi. If you need a wireing diagram, just let me know and i'll hook you up.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:35 PM
stu46

How much you looking to spend?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:10 AM
desiguy

probably 1200 for everything. one of my friends is doing the install for me free of charge to even something else out. i think this is reasonable since I plan on getting most of the equipment from ebay...
Old 11-15-2004, 05:13 AM
desiguy

thanks for all the info! if you could send that wire diagram that would be great. i'm not sure what i exactly need. i'm thinkin 2 500 amps (1 mono, 1 Multi) 4 speakers to replace the stock ones, a 6" sub (is that enough?) and a head unit (leaning to the alpine tse 680...or somehting like that)

what do you think? is that enough? i'm not trying to get ridiculous noise, jus enough so that when i come cruising down the block, you'll crack ure neck to see who it is...

Originally posted by 808_FairladyZ
Hi Desiguy,
If you plan to install your system on your own, you really should give your system alot of thought. You don't want to start the install unprepared and realize that its not that easy. Also, you don't want your car to have to be out of commision any longer than needed. You need to carefully plan this out. You should also prepare to do everything all at the same time(Deck, amp, speaker, sound deadning, etc...) I say this because in order for you to change the rear speakers and run wire through your Z, you will have to take off all of your paneling. While your paneling is off, you should use this time to deadin your rear hatch areas. Deadin every where that you can. If your on a budget, use roofing tape. Be sure to use a heat gun also to really allow the tar to adheire to the vehicle. Also, when you replace your rear speakers, you will need to run new wires. There is a blocker some where inline with the rear speakers that prevent them from playing loud even with an amp. If you decide to remove your seats and they have a built in air bag system, be sure not to turn your ignition on unless you plug the air bag module back in. If not, your air bag system will think that something if faulty and wont work properly. In that case, your sales representitive and or repair shop will have to reset the system. If you have any more question, you may PM me. FYI, I work for a reputable Car Audio and Alarm Install Shop here in Hilo, Hi. If you need a wireing diagram, just let me know and i'll hook you up.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:49 AM
stu46

You'd need more than a 6" sub to turn heads. Atleast 2 10s. Also, ditch the rear speakers and use that money elsewhere. Like another sub or better components up front. I'm at work right now, I'll put together a real quick list when I have time later.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:46 AM
desiguy

Originally posted by stu46
You'd need more than a 6" sub to turn heads. Atleast 2 10s. Also, ditch the rear speakers and use that money elsewhere. Like another sub or better components up front. I'm at work right now, I'll put together a real quick list when I have time later.

Thanks, look forward to seeing what you recommend!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:08 AM
dannichols

The only 6" sub I know of is at Subway for $2.99..ask for Jared :-)
Old 11-15-2004, 10:13 AM
stu46

$2.99? man, i'm getting jacked prices here.....lol
Old 11-15-2004, 10:18 AM
dannichols

Well at least now I know a way to fit 6 12" subs in my car..of course they would get a little stinky after awhile :-)
Old 11-16-2004, 07:18 AM
motown

ha! i used to walk past "that" subway every day. i lived like a block away. it was on my way to IU campus. aah, those were the days........