Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Installed LCD screen :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:34 PM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by got turbo?
I also don't know much about car audio, and also have a stupid question. Does that screen need a computer to be operational, or is it control by your HU? Cause that what I want to do with my car, but I want two screens. I was thinking of getting AVIC-D1, for NAV and CD/MP3 player. And a screen like that for movies.
You have to *something* that puts out a video signal. My lcd screen has multiple standard composite video inputs just a like a home tv would. I hooked my nav unit and a PS2 into it. A typical cd/mp3 headunit won't have video outs, though.

If you have two screens, one could be dedicated to a nav unit of some sort, and the other could be hooked up to a DVD headunit. The easiest option there might be to install a screen in the cubby hole like Th3Cleaner and I (and many others) have done and dedicate it to a nav unit, and then also get a DVD headunit that has a built-in, slide-out screen for movies, cd/mp3, etc.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:53 AM
JThrilla

Originally Posted by jreiter
You have to *something* that puts out a video signal. My lcd screen has multiple standard composite video inputs just a like a home tv would. I hooked my nav unit and a PS2 into it. A typical cd/mp3 headunit won't have video outs, though.

If you have two screens, one could be dedicated to a nav unit of some sort, and the other could be hooked up to a DVD headunit. The easiest option there might be to install a screen in the cubby hole like Th3Cleaner and I (and many others) have done and dedicate it to a nav unit, and then also get a DVD headunit that has a built-in, slide-out screen for movies, cd/mp3, etc.
How do you use the touch screen with your existing GPS system?

This monitor looks good. It says on the website that it can be used with a GPS system. How would this work? I'm looking at alternatives to the AVIC-N1 or AVIC-N2 because I want something that fit's the Z's navigation hole space and can be covered up with the door. What do you recommend?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
CopperZ

Originally Posted by gburch
Yea I don't want to start dremmeling so I would rather just use that screen for a different application and get the dynamix screen for the car.
You dont have to dremmel anything. Take of the front cover and the back cover. Just use the screen with no plastic covers.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 AM
gburch

Originally Posted by maxipad96
The lilliput screen fits.. just have to trim out the sides.
So I guess what he said was only for if you wanted to keep the screen bezel. That works, I don't need access to any of the buttons either.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

how do you get to the remote sensor or switches on all these screens? looks like it's covered up on the bottom..
Old 04-07-2005, 12:11 PM
gburch

In my case the screen will turn on with the car, eventually it will be spliced into a M1-ATX board that is used with my carputer.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 AM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
how do you get to the remote sensor or switches on all these screens? looks like it's covered up on the bottom..
If you look closely at the right side of my screen install, you can see we carved away a small bit of the side plastic on the pocket. Just enough to clear the buttons and such. That's on my particular model of screen, though. Other screens may have different requirements for button/sensor access.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:14 AM
jreiter

Originally Posted by JThrilla
How do you use the touch screen with your existing GPS system?
This monitor looks good. It says on the website that it can be used with a GPS system. How would this work? I'm looking at alternatives to the AVIC-N1 or AVIC-N2 because I want something that fit's the Z's navigation hole space and can be covered up with the door. What do you recommend?
My Alpine TME-M760 screen is not a touch screen. The nav unit comes with an IR remote to control it. Since my screen and nav unit are both Alpine, the screen's built-in IR receiver will pass the signals along to the nav unit which is hidden. If you have an unmatched screen and nav unit, then that pass-through won't work. What you have to do then is get an IR extender for your nav unit. I believe most hide-away nav units (like my Alpine) have that part as an option. It's basically a little IR receiver device (like a little box with an IR sensor on it) that you can mount anywhere you want, with a wire that goes back to the nav unit.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I found another screen, similar to this one.. but cheaper $189.00.. It doesn't have USB touch screen feature though.. Any thought?

Innovatek IN-007VG
http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_...l/IN-700VG.htm
Old 04-08-2005, 03:22 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
I found another screen, similar to this one.. but cheaper $189.00.. It doesn't have USB touch screen feature though.. Any thought?
[/url]
Remember that a touch screen won't work with a nav unit unless it is made *for* that nav unit. For example, if you have an Alpine nav unit, you'll need an Alpine touch screen that is made to work with that nav unit.

However, if you plan to install a mini-PC in your car, then any lcd touch screen that is meant to work with a PC (and the operating system you plan to use) should work.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:51 PM
vitaminZ

below are images of my set up. i got a lot of help from just reading this thread. the screen i bought is a NESA 7-inch touch screen. the touch screen controls are only for adjusting the lcd monitor itself and does not integrate with anything. the screen is not VGA but i won't be interested in that for a while, if at all. my only complaint is that it only has one video input. overall, i am very satisfied with this screen. if anybody is interested, you can find it here
http://www.millionbuy.com/nesnstm7055.html

these are better pics of a mod a did a short wile ago

Old 04-25-2005, 07:00 AM
Th3Cleaner

vitaminZ,
that looks nicely done
What video card etc.. you using to play NFSU2?

Update on my system....
It is alsomost done!

500 WATT Inverter (1000 peak)
M7VIG400 BIOSTAR Mini ATX board
250WATT PS
1.5Ghz AMD CPU
512 PC333 Memory
TI 4600 Video card
onboard Audio with digital FM modulation to the head unit
DVD player for movies
802.11g wireless with extended antenna and AP sniffer (wardriving? anyone)
Dual Booted system
Windows Server 2003
Windows Media Center 2005
Dynamix 7" LCD touch screen
onBoard GPS mapping software
Star-Traxx 2 way tracking system with GPS
Not only can I use the GPS get average, alt, heading. speeds etc.. but It also transmits my positions as I drive to the Star-Traxx web server while I drive.
mini mouse (wireless)
Logitech Rumble pad (wired, gonna get the wireless)

In the ashtray in the center console is where I built the LCD push buttons to turn on and off the PC and for the Satellite Tracking, to send in positions and to recieve notify.

Software:
MS Streets and Trips 2005
Delorm
NFSU2
AP sniffer
Media Center 2005
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
vitaminZ

Originally Posted by Th3Cleaner
vitaminZ,
that looks nicely done
What video card etc.. you using to play NFSU2?
sorry but i don't have a vga screen. it is touch screen only for the funtions of the LCD. i have no intentions at this time to put a carputer in my Z. thanks for the comp!