Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:42 AM
maximadave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

freakin' awesome! Nice job on the install
Old 02-03-2003, 10:08 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default More info on the group buy

I just got off the phone with Paul. It looks like I am going to be involved in this group buy so if should be fun. My Z will be the test bed for your enclosures. I will lose my Z for about 3 days as he uses for fit and finish testing. Here is some facts for you guys concerning the group buy:

1. Paul told me he needs a couple of days to come up with a group price structure. The pricing will be based on the number of people ordering the enclosure. Maybe one price if 1-3 people order, a lesser price if 4-8 people etc. I will post prices as soon as he gets them to me. Price will be the price posted + shipping. We want to do that so people are paying the actual shipping charge and not averaging the shipping charges.

2. Paul will be able to match all colors interiors. He will go to Nissan and get a match for all colors.

3. Price will include enclosure, grill, matching materials. In otherwords, all you will need to do is put your sub in and you are ready to go. I will make sure that he will give directions for installtion included (ie, how to mount it).

4. Paul prefers you e-mail him for all technical questions. He will address what driver you are using and making sure it will work. Some of you may want to run 8" drivers or run dual 10" or something. He can address all of your questions, comments, and suggestions. Again, if you have questions, e-mail Paul at pdoerrer@aol.com Paul will read the e-mails about every 2-3 days and respond. Paul will let you know if your set up will work with this enclosure.

5. I am sure there will be a time limit on the group buy but for now, it is too early to set a date.

6. Paul will require 50% payment ahead of time, the balance when it is done.

7. Paul will set up a price for those of you that need a driver as well. I know many of you already have your drivers but some of you may not. Hopefully, the price on those will be a good deal for you guys as well.We want to keep this a win-win situation, otherwise, what is the purpose of a group buy right?

I will keep everyone posted so keep those questions coming. BTW, someone asked so let me tell you, my system sounds great.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2003, 10:37 AM
chazzg

I would like this setup also. just get the price right!!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Mikey Likes It
Charter Member #44

I am interested as well...

Mike
Old 02-03-2003, 05:09 PM
aphesian

Count another one in as interested. I really like the looks of this install. Hoping there is enough space for a JL 10W7?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:16 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

If I decide to upgrade my Blose, I'll definitely want something similar to this. If the price is right, I might do it.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:23 PM
mucky

Count me in also. This thing is perfect
Old 02-03-2003, 05:26 PM
culatr

Thumbs up I'm interested as well

I am interested in both the enclosure and a driver. I have looked at many but decided on none - and don't get my Z until early April so am still looking at HUs, speakers, et. al. But, a good sub w/ this trick enclosure would be a great start. Thanks for taking the initiative on this one.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:50 PM
bastard

Default Interested also, but...

I would definitely like to be a part of this group buy but since I do not have my car yet, I am kind of stuck. I am very interested in that enclosure location, and would greatly appreciate if you could ask him about making a similar enclosure for a JL 10w7:

1.25 ft^3, ~9" (actually 8 but allowing for airflow for the vents) mounting depth.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:47 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default just a few reminders and bits of info

Just some reminders:

1. E-mail paul at pdoerrer@aol.com about questions of fitting a specific speaker or any other technical question. Give him about 3 days to reply. If no reply in 3 days, PM me and I will call him up to get the answer for you.

2. People continue to ask me about pricing. Trust me, we will get the pricing to you as soon as possible. Paul is looking into all aspects of th cost to get it as best as possible for you guys.

3. A number of people are asking about fit for JL 10w3 or
JL 10 W 7 etc. Paul carries JL's in his shop. I am relaying most of these questions to him but my bet is he will make it so there is flexability in the sub you pic. You can count on he will be able to tell you exactly what will work and not work in this enclosure.

4. Color questions keep coming up. Paul will go to Nissan and match all colors exactly. If you remember, there was a post a while back on a guy that had about a $6-10,000 install at Paul's shop (streetnoyz). He was the guy so amazed with the color & even texture matching. I guess it is easy for me to say since i got mine already but trust me, it matches better than some other parts off the stock interior match itself (ie dash bd).

5. Mounting: The great part about this is you decide to remove the install, he designed it to be easily removed so you can return it to stock. The shape of the box is taken right off my Z. That is what he did, he took my Z, glassed the box to it using a releasing surface so not to hurt my Z. When he did mine, it was a one time deal. On this order, I am allowing my Z to be used for you guys so he can take a mold off it again to be used for mass production. My loss of my Z for 3 days will be your gain.

6. Remember, this post is less than 24 hours old, give a little time to see how many are interested. When I picked up my Z, I asked Paul if he would do some of these for interested people on my350Z. com. Now, in 24 hours, we are up to 13 people interested. I hope the 2-3 day delay in pricing does not frustrate you guys too much. this was not planned out ahead of time. I was just a satisfied customer that posted my instalation pics and I thought others might be interested in what i got because it looked better than anything else I had seen. I liked it because it looked factory yet allowed for a big sub in the correct location. As you know, the interest has been very high. The HRE wheels and Iforged wheel group buys went on for over a month (or was it 2?). Again this post is les than 24 hours old. This will be custom made enclosures for your Z. We will get this thing going and I believe you guys will be happy just like I am.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 02-03-2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Paul Doerrer

Default 350z rear sub enclosure

Thanks for all your posative input guys. I Will get together with Jeff and try to come up with the pricing you asked for. For the people who have any questions on drivers or applications i know Jeff gave my shop number but here it is again. 619-260-1747
I have 18 years technical experience in the field of custom autosound and my business partner has seventeen. we do more custom work at a REASONABLE price than anyone in the city now. I am sure we can answer your questions, just call. we are audio enthusiasts before business people and try to give honest opinions as to how you can get great sound. Afterall we don't need car stereo's we just have to have them, right?!
Anyway i look forward to hearing from you all soon.
THNKS.

Paul Doerrer
STREETNOYZ
3450-a kurtz st
SD CA 92110
Old 02-04-2003, 06:36 AM
BigZ

Default How Does it Sound?

I may be interested.. I"m just curious how it sounds. How full the bass is.. how clean the sound is.. and if it vibrates being that close to the body panels.

Would install instructions be included, which panels should be removed, etc..?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2003, 07:01 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

1. I think the sound is great but maybe Paul would care to comment on comparing this sound enclosure to other types enclosures you might do. Another consideration is location of sub and this is a strength of this design being it is the proper distance from the listeners.

2. No panels are removed from the car, this is part of the beauty, it just fits in the corner and can be remmoveable at a later date without distruction to your cars interior.

I will instruct Paul to include installation directions for mounting the enclosure.
Jeff
Old 02-04-2003, 10:03 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I talked to Paul via email, and he stated that the enclosure has an internal volume of .75 cuft--this is optimum for ALOT of 10" subs. He was not abl to tell me if the JL 10W6 would fit, but I sent him the specs, and am waiting for his response. I have my fingers crossed...

By the way, as long as a sub has some good clean power, and is in a properly designed box, its hard to make it sound bad.

Try putting a 6x9 in an empty van in a small sealed enclosure and power it with about 100 watts of clean power. You will think there's 2 12's in there...LOL!

The bottom line is that you cannot beat a sealed, well-designed enclosure, mounted as far as possible from the listener (full wave development) for tight, responsive bass. I threw a single 10w6 in a properly designed box (.75 mdf sides, 1" mdf baffle, and .7cuft sealed) into the Z, powered by a Phoenix Gold zx600ti in bridged mode (woofers are dvc 6 ohm wired in parallel, so a 3ohm load), but the box was too big for the hatch to close, so there was alot of loss due to no seal...it still sounded amazing. I can only imagine how great things would be with a closed hatch and properly designed box.

Me wants one of these....NOW! LOL!
Old 02-05-2003, 10:14 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Group buy order form

I just spoke to Paul, here is how he wants to handle the group purchase. I am acting as a middle man and I am following the procedure he feels will allow him to bring you guys the best price he can provide. As you know, for him to make these enclosures, he simply has to figure out how much labor and materials it will take to get the job done.

Paul would like you guys to post the following information on this thread if you are interested in a sub enclosure. He will be able to look the orders over, determine the amount of labor and matierials need to do the job, then give you a price quote. you can then either decide to get it or decide not to. Paul feels he can provide you with an enclosure that is of the highest quality and at a price that is very competitive. By posting an order, you are not committing at this time to get one since he needs to get the price posted. The deadline for posting your order will be by Febuary 20th, he will look the orders over and post a price within a couple of days after the Feb. 20th deadline. Then at that point, you will need to commit by paying 50% down, the rest upon completion of the enclosure.

Here is the info he needs on your orders:

1. Color of your 350Z's interior.
2. Sub drivers you plan on putting in the enclosure.
3. If you want a driver from Paul, call him to select one and get a price.
3. List if possible, other equipment you will hook up to the system. This is not required but may help him in designing the enclosure to best fit your needs.
4. List any special concerns you have with this orders. Remember, you can e-mail Paul at pdoerrer@aol.com for questions you want answered. If you like, you can also call him direct at 619-260-1747. Best days to get him in he shop are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Again post your order (Steps 1-4) so he can bid the job, deadline is Feb 20th. He will post the price just after the deadline. After that, you can committ or back out.

I will be out of town from Friday Feb 7th until late Monday morning Feb 10th. I will address any thing posted between those dates when I return on Tuesday,

Jeff
Old 02-05-2003, 10:29 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

1. Color of your 350Z's interior.
Frost Leather (plastic panels look beige)

2. Sub drivers you plan on putting in the enclosure.
1-JL Audio 10W6

3. List if possible, other equipment you will hook up to the system. This is not required but may help him in designing the enclosure to best fit your needs.
See below...

4. List any special concerns you have with this orders.
None...I just want it to look and match as good a Jeff's does !

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:58 AM
Driven

1. Color: Black Carbon Fiber
2. Sub Drivers: Two Boston Accustic Pro 8"
3. Other equipment...he already has...I emailed him direct (Paul I am Blake...Jeff's friend...emailed you earlier)
4. Concerns: additional costs of running two seperate subs and double costs on enclosure.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:41 PM
eddieclayton

1) Carbon Cloth Interior (The same color interior as zland's car)
2) I plan on using a single Crystal CMP 10 subwoofer.
3) Other components I'm planning on using. (As of this moment anyway.)

-Soundstream Rubicon 702 (sub amp)
-Xtant 404m (amp for component set)
-Clarion DXZ835MP (Head Unit)
-Clarion DPH 910 (EQ/Crossover)
-Crystal CSc60s (Component Set)

4) I have no special concerns.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:11 PM
MacGuru

Your installation looks great. Thanks for arranging the group for what looks to be a great product.

Question: I'm no audiophile, but I would like to know if it's possible to power a new sub woofer (i.e. JL in the new enclosure) through the existing Bose amp? Of course this would mean removing the exisiting Bose sub woofer. Yes, I've had the TSB Bose fix.

Will this work? I'm trying to maintain the stock look by keeping the hu, maybe this will be an inexpensive solution.

1. Black interior
2. (1) JL Audio 10"
3. Replace stock front speakers with Infinity kappa 63.5i
4. Will the existing Bose amp power a new sub in this location?

I defintely want one!
Thank again. -m

Quick Reply: my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?