My poor back, another 13w7 350z install done :) pics here

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:21 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My poor back, another 13w7 350z install done :) pics here

after having my back flaring up doing ravi's 13w7 install, lifting that 70 lbs sub in and out of a low slung car, i consoled myself that it is highly unlikely that another 13w7 Z install will come in anytime soon...but i was wrong lol...

anyway, this beautiful lemans sunset Z is from another one of our forum members, the car is pretty modified with 20" rims, flame graphics and APS Turbo set up

unlike ravi's car, whcih had relatively small dimension elemental design amps, the owner of htis car supplied a JL 300/2 and jl 1000/1, he also stated that if possible, he would like to have the area infront of the arch pretty open to put some small stuff from now and then. there is also the added challenge of having to relocate an aquamist water bottle, whcih previously resided in the spare tire well...and of ocurse having access to it at any given time...

so...after staring at the trunk and doing mock ups, i realized that there is almost no way to fit everyhting behind the arch if we went inverted like ravi's car, the jl 1000/1 is simply too long so...right side up 13w7 it is, please its nice to do something different than the other car...

so...here is a list of the components used:

HU: Avic-Z1 navigation

Front Stage: DLS Ultimate Iridium 3 way component set

Sub: JL 13w7

Amps: JL 1000/1 300/2

lets get started:

first off is the Z1, due to its slightly larger front face, metra kits will not work with this unit, it simply will not allow the face to come down, so instead, i trimmed out a different ring for it:

moving on to the front stage. the midrange and tweet of the 3 way set up are isntalled into the kick panels. the kicks were first dampned and then the epakres installed. ont he driver side, relocation of hte factory keyless module was needed, which involved some unbolting and extending the wires. but the over effect is almost no room taken up and the dead pedal stays! I found this nice copper suede that i used through out the install. the kicks as you can see, is trimmed in this suede

Big thanks to Nazar, i was able to get my hands on a pair of his doorpods, whcih was also wrapped in suede. clean and sounds pretty good:

moving onto behidn the seat...as you can see, this area is left reliavely untouched, the floor has not been rasied one bit. what resides here are hte four passive crossover netowrks for the iridium 3 way components. they are again trimmed in sude with matching black vinyl. a suede trimmed cover panel resides on the passenger side:

incase you are wondering what that trim panel is for, well, its for direct access to the aquamist water tank of course :0

and finally...the trunk, where most of back breaking labor was. though i could have lowered it by about 2" after doing some mockups i thought it acutaly looked better with the entire area filled, instead of 3/4 up the sides, if we are going to fill it, might as well go all the way right?

since there was no symetrical way to fit these components, this design was used. the 13w7 sits in a 2 cubic feet sealed enclosure, and the jl amps are on the passenger side. both sides feature black vinyl and copper suede.

man its loud! again, like ravis car, i had to keep the sub volume on the lowest setting with the gain turned down to be ablet o stand it in the car lol

now to rest my back...norcal peeps, i will be bringing this one to the meet tommmorow
Old 04-28-2006, 04:42 PM
MRMDFY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive. It looks very clean.

1. Since you had some extra depth to work with, why not countersink the amps and crossovers and utilize trim panels?
2. With a 70lb sub involved, swapping that with the amps would seem to make more sense for weight distribution, wouldn't it?
3. Since basically all the usable space behind the strut is used, the prospects of anything being placed on or around the sub seem slim to none........so why the sub grill?
4. What is the story behind the water bottle? I'm just there.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

+1 on #2.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I love the front stage work, Looks great! Gives me some ideas. I can't really get a feel for Nazar's pods. Do they have some angle to them such that they feed some of the sound towards the driver or do they just allow for any 6.5in driver to be placed in them?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:04 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

thanks for hte suggestions:

1. weight distribution...hmm...to be honest, i really didnt consider it, i have no idea that the Z is heavy on the driver side already is the gas tank there? or is that with every car? hehe

2. counter sinking acutally have somewhat of an issue...i thought about doing it acutally, but the distance between the amp's edges and the edges of the trunk makes it pretty difficult to make a cover panel. basically, there are less than 1/2" distance at some corners, so if i were to counter sink it, the trim around it to counter sink it would be 1/8" ...also the sub is going to stick out, no matter what, and its huge, so i though it would look more blanaced with the surface moutned amps

3. tahts more for decoration to get some silver ont he passenger side, its not a grille really, i mean, waht the heck is it going to protect again? something larger than the sub itself hittin it? hehe its off a JL sub box for the w7

4. the aquamist bottle is the water source for the aquamist intercooler spray. cuase the car has a turbo kit on it

nazar's pods well, angling is not the issue really, its the ability to get a nice looking and fitting driver upfront, i think the stock lcoation in the door is horrible to be honest, and it doesnt line up well with the door...to me its a good cosmetic touch to a pretty showy vehicle

b
Old 04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I figured as much.

The install looks great.

Thanks for the review on the pods One final question, what would it take to prep them for paint... I know what Nazar has said but I'd like to hear it from you also.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 PM
GQ 350z

What can I say..

As the original 13w7 guy much props to the setup because I know how rediculous it is. Seeing as this dude has a comparatively "superior" frontstage I'm very impressed.

I will say that I love my enclosure far more, but the craftsmanship and overall style is unique. Thats the best part about bing--he doesnt do some cookie cutter BS.

Anyone talking crap needs to check themselves--bing has awesome pricing, service, and knowledge. He's one of the few guys even *I* use as an audio resource. Furthermore, the amount of fab needed to do a 13w7 in a Z is just nuts..NUTS.

Much props, I'm sure the owner is very happy.

ravi
Old 04-28-2006, 07:23 PM
TiPIACE

exposed screws - nasty

Last edited by TiPIACE; 04-28-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

shhh...tommorow is home depot time for screw covers...ran out

ravi and other sknow i alway use screw covers
Old 04-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by GQ 350z
Anyone talking crap needs to check themselves--bing has awesome pricing, service, and knowledge. He's one of the few guys even *I* use as an audio resource. Furthermore, the amount of fab needed to do a 13w7 in a Z is just nuts..NUTS.

ravi
calm down. hehehe

It is more of cosmetic look. Some really good with technical but lack of style and the other way around.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:39 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

prepping it for paint? depends on your skill or who does it, from waht i see, one thick layer of hi build primer and sanding should be all it takes

b
Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

so ravi you gonna make it tommorow with the Z?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:44 PM
TiPIACE

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
shhh...tommorow is home depot time for screw covers...ran out

ravi and other sknow i alway use screw covers
cant you not expose the screws or hide them underneath the vinyl? Im no installer so dont know exactly how to do it, but my audio guy didnt leave them exposed

Last edited by TiPIACE; 04-29-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

in some case , you can do with out screws, the pics you showed are of a non load bearing panel, the cover panel for the subenclsoure just sits there, no weight on it, so it can be attahced with velcrow or presure fitted, the second pic you showed is the same thing, cove rpanel.

the panel you see that has the screws bears full the weight of four crossovers, and believe it or not, its quite hefty, there is no way to pressure fit it and i will NEVER EVER use tape or velcrow to secure a weighted panel, thats just downright dangerous

and no, there is no way to first screw a panel in and THEN wrap it in vinyl

b

Last edited by 16psibrick; 04-28-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

oh ps tipiace, tahts a nice looking install you have, mind if i ask you how much it was for labor on the entire thing? curious to see if in australia prices are similar to the states
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 PM
GQ 350z

My z is in the shop still bro =(

hahah alex i'm calm dude, thats what sucks about typing you cant figure out the tone the persons talking in =) I'm always happy..anyway tell me the install he did in mine is NOT stylish:

holla atcha boy.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:00 PM
nfhsdt08

around how much was the install for the w7 setup--just for the labor
Old 04-28-2006, 08:11 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i dont want to discuss openly any pricing, PM me if you really wanna know

b
Old 04-29-2006, 01:33 AM
TiPIACE

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
oh ps tipiace, tahts a nice looking install you have, mind if i ask you how much it was for labor on the entire thing? curious to see if in australia prices are similar to the states
Aus prices will be well blown out compared to US, because of demand for such an install is vastly lower

Last edited by TiPIACE; 04-29-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 AM
jdohman

16psibrick: Usually I love your work and tell you do a great job. But this install is by far the ugliest one I have ever seen in a 350z. I know you didnt have much to do with all huge product but man o man that looks like a cluttered garge with a bad color scheme. Door pods and kicks would of been awesome in another color. But that just doesnt go well at all. I personally wouldnt of been able to do that install with the way he wanted it. I wouldnt put my signature on that to save my life and if I did I would never claim it.

Quick Reply: My poor back, another 13w7 350z install done :) pics here