Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

My Carputer Setup (StreetDeck)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

MB896F MB (picked it cause it was the same one that comes with SD except upgraded the CPU to 2 GHz), 512MB RAM, 7200 RPM 80 GB 2.5" HD, XM Direct with serial cable hook up (not usb - solved alot of problems not using the TimeTrax adapter), CoPilot USB GPS (I think this thing is causing problems), 2 4 port USB hubs (1 in trunk, 1 in glove box - I think the one in the glove box not very good), Xenarc 7" TSV screen, rear view cam, XMicro WiFi USB dongle, SB Extigy USB for sound (sounds amazing, but had to make sure it never lost power while PC on else supplied USB drivers would crash), USBUIRT infrared USB receiver for PC control using infrared remote or via SWI-X hooked to Bose HU.

Also sound system completely swapped out with Diamond Audio and Infinity components.

95% of the time it works and sounds great but occasionally a reboot is necessary (only takes 1 minute but it bugs me).
Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Sounds like you didn't skimp on anything! I just got my StreetDeck DVD in, so I finally got to install and mess with the navi. It's pretty neat!

What FPS are you running at? And can you please explain how you installed the 700TSV? Did you wire it to your power supply? And what did you do to the controls on the front of the touch screen?

Here is a picture of someone's buttons relocated:

Last edited by BhashaZ; 08-31-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 PM
DIGItonium

Default My Test "Bench"

Since we're on the subject of car computers (don't mean to hijack), I would like to share with you my software test "bench." For a future CarPC to be used in the G coupe (or any other car). It is just a spare PC with enough hardware to test software and XP installations - some of it will be used for the real CarPC.

I've managed to do a fresh install of XP on this 4GB hard drive and disabled paging. The total install size: 316MB. The boot time for XP was ungodly and rivals that of my main system with a 74GB WD Raptor

The only media software I'm running is iTunes and PowerDVD. I don't intend to use it for anything else. I just want gigs of 80's music stored in my car so I can listen whenever I please.

Ok for the real setup,
MSI uATX board
1GB Corsair PC2700
Audigy 2 with Burr Brown Op Amps (riser card to mount card 90 deg)
2x Addonics CF to SATA adapters (faster than CF to USB, and hot swappable)
Minimum 1GB CF for main software with EWF enabled (Write Filter... power off without worrying about corrupting the root drive).
Minimum 8GB CF for iTunes library ($150 nowadays)
Slim Slot load DVD/CD-R drive

The case will be plexiglass, and small white LEDs will be embedded in the chassis. It will be wired to the glovebox lamp (if any), and some blue LEDs will serve as IDE indicators.

A PC keyboard controller will be wired to the factory ***** and buttons.

I have over a year to plan/test/build this system.

Last edited by DIGItonium; 02-14-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:59 PM
BhashaZ

Default Update: Install Complete! (kinda..)

Finally got my installation done on Saturday and everything was put in nicely. The touchscreen was mounted to the 2003 cubby. The guy at the shop removed the Xenarc from the case, then trimmed the bottom plastic portion , and mounted it without any gaps (normally when you install the Xenarc, you get a *slight* gap on the left/right sides as seen in the above pictures). I also added a kill switch from the ignition just in case I don't want the computer to start up.

Everything went as expected, but the only problem I found once I got back home was that the computer wasn't shutting down or going into standby mode. I took it back to the shop, but they said everything was done correctly on their end (there were only 5 wires to connect, after all). So I came home and after a few hours of thinking it over, I realized the jumpers settings the computer shipped with were incorrect. So I set the jumpers to have a 10 second delay after the ignition was cut before it started a shutdown sequenece (either shut down, stand-by, or hibernate). Then I set another jumper to allow stand-by mode (otherwise the computer starts the stand-by sequence but then reverts back to Windows). Once this was done, everything worked properly! I tested it 3-4 times to make sure all was well. Once I determined it was good, I went ahead and closed up the case and put the screws back on. When I tried to go into stand-by now, it went ahead and went into stand-by. However, this time, upon turning to ignition, the computer restarted versus resuming from stand-by! Long story short, I borrowed my cousins Opus 120W PSU, and it worked again! So I think my Opus just went bad, meaning I'll have to RMA it. But at least it's up and running! *knock on wood*

I'll post pix of the install shortly!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:18 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

You might consider hibernate over standby. Standby still uses power for memory, if the battery cant continue to supply enough power for the PSU, it will shut down hard. Hibernate on the other hand uses no power at all, so it can be shut down forever, be disconnected from power etc and still boot fast.

Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 AM
LayinLo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Finally got my installation done on Saturday and everything was put in nicely. The touchscreen was mounted to the 2003 cubby. The guy at the shop removed the Xenarc from the case, then trimmed the bottom plastic portion , and mounted it without any gaps (normally when you install the Xenarc, you get a *slight* gap on the left/right sides as seen in the above pictures). I also added a kill switch from the ignition just in case I don't want the computer to start up.

Everything went as expected, but the only problem I found once I got back home was that the computer wasn't shutting down or going into standby mode. I took it back to the shop, but they said everything was done correctly on their end (there were only 5 wires to connect, after all). So I came home and after a few hours of thinking it over, I realized the jumpers settings the computer shipped with were incorrect. So I set the jumpers to have a 10 second delay after the ignition was cut before it started a shutdown sequenece (either shut down, stand-by, or hibernate). Then I set another jumper to allow stand-by mode (otherwise the computer starts the stand-by sequence but then reverts back to Windows). Once this was done, everything worked properly! I tested it 3-4 times to make sure all was well. Once I determined it was good, I went ahead and closed up the case and put the screws back on. When I tried to go into stand-by now, it went ahead and went into stand-by. However, this time, upon turning to ignition, the computer restarted versus resuming from stand-by! Long story short, I borrowed my cousins Opus 120W PSU, and it worked again! So I think my Opus just went bad, meaning I'll have to RMA it. But at least it's up and running! *knock on wood*

I'll post pix of the install shortly!

Ahh, the joys of CarPC...........

Glad you are finally getting to do it. I can't wait to see pics!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
You might consider hibernate over standby. Standby still uses power for memory, if the battery cant continue to supply enough power for the PSU, it will shut down hard. Hibernate on the other hand uses no power at all, so it can be shut down forever, be disconnected from power etc and still boot fast.

Chris
Hey Chris. Right now I'm pretty much shutting down versus going into hibernate. The reason is since my Opus isn't working properly, I can't get out of stand-by properly anyways. And between hibernate and a full shut-down, I can't notice a difference in start-up time. So I figure since I'm not running any other programs besides StreetDeck, there's no point in hibernating, since all that's really doing is saving your settings into RAM. However, I was checking mp3car and it seems like a lot of people go into stand-by for several days without problems. But I'll see what I want to do once the Opus is fixed/replaced.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:49 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by LayinLo
Ahh, the joys of CarPC...........

Glad you are finally getting to do it. I can't wait to see pics!!!
Hahah..tell me about it! I was in the garage for a good part of the day yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong. Inside my room upstairs (with the AC on) it was showing 88.3* in my room! And that felt like a freezer compared to the heat in the garage. I think it was nearly 100* in the garage, so that kind of sucked.

But as soon as everything is up and running, I'll post pix!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clean nav finish bhasha
Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 PM
flynbrin

Bhasha, any pics of the final setup?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by flynbrin
Bhasha, any pics of the final setup?
Sorry, I've been extremely busy at work since I will be changing jobs this week. Plus we're painting and re-doing the floors in our house, so I've pretty much been busy night and day.

But I will do my best to post pix soon. I'll try to get them up on Friday/Saturday at the latest. Stay tuned!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
DIGItonium

How's your operating system setup?

I'm testing on a crappy 4GB hard drive and the smallest XP install I got was 316MB. The drivers and SP2 bulk it up, but I'm just throwing stuff at it at the moment.

I got EWF and MinLogon working. XP boots up so fast it rivals my PC with a 10k RPM hard drive (seriously!). The time it takes to shutdown the PC is like unplugging it.

EWF is great. I don't have to worry about properly shutting it down. I can simply unplug it and it should have no effect in corrupting the installation. It will be more reliable once I have it loaded on a Compact Flash. If I need to make some changes, I can temporarily disable EWF.

The video below shows startup, autoload iTunes, and shutdown:
http://members.***.net/digitonium/startup_00.wmv

Last edited by DIGItonium; 09-12-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by djtonium
How's your operating system setup?

I'm testing on a crappy 4GB hard drive and the smallest XP install I got was 316MB. The drivers and SP2 bulk it up, but I'm just throwing stuff at it at the moment.

I got EWF and MinLogon working. XP boots up so fast it rivals my PC with a 10k RPM hard drive (seriously!). The time it takes to shutdown the PC is like unplugging it.

EWF is great. I don't have to worry about properly shutting it down. I can simply unplug it and it should have no effect in corrupting the installation. It will be more reliable once I have it loaded on a Compact Flash. If I need to make some changes, I can temporarily disable EWF.

The video below shows startup, autoload iTunes, and shutdown:
http://members.***.net/digitonium/startup_00.wmv
Right now I'm running XP SP2. I had the Opus reflashed since it wasn't compatible with my MB. I have the Opus PSU jumpers set so that stand-by is enabled, and after I remove the key, the Opus sends a signal to the motherboard to start a shut-down sequence (either shutdown, stand-by, or hibernate). Right now the jumper delays the sequence for 10 seconds after the key is removed, so after 10 seconds the computer will start to go into stand-by mode. The total time after I remove the key to when the computer is in stand-by is approximately 15 seconds, meaning stand-by itself takes about 5 seconds.

When I start up the car again, the Opus sends a delayed pulse to the computer to start up again. So it takes about 15 seconds or so for it to resume from stand-by. The resuming from stand-by itself is quick, but the part that takes long is for the computer to get a pulse to start up again. The reason for this is that the motherboard I am using is "slow", so the Opus has to delay for a few seconds before sending out a signal. I may just try hibernating since it will drain the battery much less than stand-by.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:05 AM
BhashaZ

Also how did you get the Infiniti logo up instead of the Windows logo? I recall doing this a few years ago, but I forget which program it was. Something Blinds maybe?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:51 AM
DIGItonium

A user from MP3Car shared his BMP image of the logo, so I used Resource Hacker to edit the boot logo.

With EWF, writes to the drive is very minimal so there's less worry of corrupting the OS in case there's a bad shutdown.

I'm thinking about avoiding SP2 altogether just long as I can get iTunes and PowerDVD working. The computer boots up so fast on this crappy 4GB hard drive, who knows how much faster it would be an a hi-speed CF card.

BTW... this prototype is for my next car in a lil over a year.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
blofeld9999

Dumb question for those who have their computer in their glove box. How did you route the cables there? For power and RCA cables, the guides at http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/ imply that you can just route the cables through existing openings. How do they get into the glove box themself? Do you have to drill?

Also for the ignition wire required for the power supply. I'm assuming you get that from the cigarette lighter wire? How did you get that to the glove box?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:28 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by djtonium
A user from MP3Car shared his BMP image of the logo, so I used Resource Hacker to edit the boot logo.

With EWF, writes to the drive is very minimal so there's less worry of corrupting the OS in case there's a bad shutdown.

I'm thinking about avoiding SP2 altogether just long as I can get iTunes and PowerDVD working. The computer boots up so fast on this crappy 4GB hard drive, who knows how much faster it would be an a hi-speed CF card.

BTW... this prototype is for my next car in a lil over a year.
I'm not familiar with EWF. Can I use that on my setup or is that only for a solid state drive (i.e., CF)?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by blofeld9999
Dumb question for those who have their computer in their glove box. How did you route the cables there? For power and RCA cables, the guides at http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/ imply that you can just route the cables through existing openings. How do they get into the glove box themself? Do you have to drill?

Also for the ignition wire required for the power supply. I'm assuming you get that from the cigarette lighter wire? How did you get that to the glove box?

Thanks a lot for the help.
That's easy...I had my installer do it! But seriously, you have to drill a hole on in the glove box and the tray inside the glove box in order to run the cables.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
DIGItonium

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
I'm not familiar with EWF. Can I use that on my setup or is that only for a solid state drive (i.e., CF)?
EWF is beneficial for SSDs because it prevents wearing out the card due to numerous write cycles. For spinning disk, it doesn't matter because it'll wear out and fail no matter what. Since there's less/no writing on the disk, that means less things it needs to do which speeds things up.

The board I'm looking has a single IDE, so I'm reserving it for the DVD-ROM drive. It has 4 SATA ports, so I'm going to use an Addonics CF-to-SATA adapter. Tests has shown slight speed increase using SATA vs. IDE/USB. Not only that, the cards can be hot swapped without restarting the system. I'm storing the OS and applications on a separate card away from my song library.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:15 PM
deluzrider

need pics

Quick Reply: My Carputer Setup (StreetDeck)