Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Pics of Xenarc 7 inch touchscrren

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 01:28 PM
JZC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet!

I'm new to all this.

How do you get internet access in a car?
Old 03-08-2003, 01:49 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

You could do it multiple ways. Many people are running wireless networking without protecting it, so you could in effect WarDriving and freeload bandwidth where you find it. You could also do something like the Sprint PCS Vision cards that run on their 3G networks. There are other ways, you just have to be creative
Old 03-08-2003, 02:07 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in this case tho I think its as simple as running a long ethernet out to your garage and plugging the laptop in, or having a wireless home network and being within range.

havein FULL time internet outside of your own house would require the card that mannish boy talked about, I think they are like 28.8 or 56k for a fee each month, but you can get cable speeds for a bit more.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:09 PM
dmazyn

Yes I use using a laptop with a wireless nic card. I am still in the process of building the car pc.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:17 PM
dmazyn

ares, mine has no mount on it at all. The monitor comes with glass that is used for the touchscreen that is attached with adhisive to the lcd panel. All I did was use some mounting tape, placed it along the edge of the glass. This holds very well, there is no boarder needed the screen is almost identical to the opening in the console.

I will be building some type of backing to cover all the electronics of the lcd screen later on. I don't want anything getting to the boards and messing the screen up

Also if there is anyone who knows of the best way to power a monitor without usuing an inverter please let me know. I don't like the inverters and wish there we a better way to power this. I need to see how much power this thing needs, maybe I can find a way to power it with the DC to DC converter power supply I have for the PC.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:26 PM
ares
Veteran

so all that is in these pictures is what comes on a stock car without nav? theres no difference in the cubby? it looks like there is a plastic border around the lcd screen of some sort... whered that come from? is that just made from whats already in the car?
Old 03-08-2003, 09:17 PM
dmazyn

ares, yes this is stock without the Nav. In place of the nav they have the cubby. IF you take off the cubby there still is a boarder around the hole which is what you are seeing in the pictures.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:38 PM
ares
Veteran

haha, I never noticed, guess I should take all that gum out occasionally and look in there... anyway great news, and the screen looks fantastic.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang...this Xenarc is starting to look much more attractive then it did a few months ago- thanks dmazyn!

If my VGA deal doesn't pan out (such as if April becomes May becomes June), we've got to figure out a way to get this Xenarc, with the additional backlighting option, for somethng less then the arm and leg they are charging. Of course, we will need to calculate in a tip dmazyn for being the guinee.

i just can't see how a touchscreen version of this screen, with additional backlighting should run close to $700!
Old 03-08-2003, 10:29 PM
alphared

Originally posted by dmazyn
ares, mine has no mount on it at all. The monitor comes with glass that is used for the touchscreen that is attached with adhisive to the lcd panel. All I did was use some mounting tape, placed it along the edge of the glass. This holds very well, there is no boarder needed the screen is almost identical to the opening in the console.

I will be building some type of backing to cover all the electronics of the lcd screen later on. I don't want anything getting to the boards and messing the screen up

Also if there is anyone who knows of the best way to power a monitor without usuing an inverter please let me know. I don't like the inverters and wish there we a better way to power this. I need to see how much power this thing needs, maybe I can find a way to power it with the DC to DC converter power supply I have for the PC.
well this was what i was plannin to do:
Get a plug from radioshack (or maybe just cut the one that came with it) and solder a power connector to it. then just connect it to the DC power supply with one of the extra connector. Like connecting a harddrive. Just make sure its 12V.

OR

Just splice it to the car's battery. I think it handles up to 14V.

Advantage of connecting it to the dc supply is when PC goes off, so does the screen.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:37 PM
dmazyn

Scafremon, not sure there is really a need for more backlighting. The pictures are very bad ones I have to find a friend with a better digital camera so that you guys to can see it better.

As for an option for a back light are you saying the one you looked at has no backlight? Because this one has a setting for you to adjust the backlight from 0% to 100%.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:31 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like it really sits back in the Nav. slot. Can you see the far left side of the screen when you are sitting in a driving position in the drivers seat? I mean without leaning to your right a lot.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Scafremon

Originally posted by dmazyn
Scafremon, not sure there is really a need for more backlighting. The pictures are very bad ones I have to find a friend with a better digital camera so that you guys to can see it better.

As for an option for a back light are you saying the one you looked at has no backlight? Because this one has a setting for you to adjust the backlight from 0% to 100%.
The Xenarc comes std with backlighting to achieve 220 NITS. While this may be acceptable, most people I have talked to recommend 300, 400, or even 500 NITS for an outdoor application. More backlighting reduces the negative effect that ambient light will have when viewing images on the screen. Xenarc offers an additional backlight to increase the NITS to 380-400, but they want $195.00 for this.

I've been quoted $50 by another VGA reseller to increase their LCD by 150 NITS (from factory supplied 200 to 350), and another $50 to increase it to 500 NITS. Basically, they add light assemblies behind the screen - $50 for a CCFL that adds 150 NITS. So Xenarcpricing just seems to be expensive. On other hand, the VGA I am looking at won't be available for another month (possibly more), and we haven't seen it installed. Xenarc is available now, and the install is looking very promising.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:57 AM
dangerzone1280

Ok... that system rocks! how much was the whole thing in total? I'm thinking of getting one in my car.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:53 AM
WebToker

Originally posted by dangerzone1280

Ok... that system rocks! how much was the whole thing in total? I'm thinking of getting one in my car.
READ THE POST!
Old 03-09-2003, 09:37 AM
dmazyn

Dr Bonz, the screen is very viewable from the drivers seat no need to lean over.

I also went to radioshack and got a regulated cig lighter plug. I cut the power cord from the monitor and tested it with the plug from radioshack and it worked great. Now I will be working on getting it hardwired either to the car's power itself or to the power supply on my car pc. It seems the Xemarc monitor can handle up to 24 volts, so no need to regulate the power, just did a test with the plug I was using to test the car pc.

This week I will be building a backing for the screen and adding some reflective tape to the backing to refelect any lost light from the backlight. I read on mp3car.com that is helps out during daytime viewing.

Will do more pcis this week also. Going to ask a friend of mine to use his digital camera so the pics should be much better.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:20 PM
aggie300zx

Crap, just when I was about to commit to using the 7" Farenhiet screen, you go and do a nice install of the Xenarc. Now I'm switched again. My Auto PC, should be complete by Tuesday of this week. The only piece left to purchase is the screen. So if I understand this correctly....

1) You removed the case, and thus had to use double-sided tape to keep some of the lose items together. You also used the double-sided tape to secure the screen to the back of the nav hole trim.

2) The front buttons are not accessible in the current form. My question here is, once you have these set do you see any reason that you will want/need to adjust them again.

3) As for power, can you not just splice into the power/remote leads that are used for the Headunit, since they are right there? I'm trying to picture what the power wire coming out of the unit looks like in its original form to understand a solution for this. I don't think you want to run this off the DC-DC power supply as it will be working hard enough to power the rest of the PC.

Damnit, now I need to get me one of these! Why can't I just settle for something half *** and cheaper...oh noooo I always have to do things the right way....which always cost more!
Old 03-09-2003, 02:05 PM
dmazyn

aggie300zx
You are correct, the best way to power the monitor is to tap into the power or the headunit. I just got some information about the screen which says it can handle up to 24v so there should be no issue.

My car pc is all tested, but the 60W DC-DC power supply i have is defective. Need to return it and get a new one.

Now I just need to find the best place to install it. I was thinking of trying to get it installed in a single din slot, but not sure if I can get it all in that smal of a space. Next spot will be the center console cup holder area. If I pick this space the DVD drive will be attaced to the door of the console for easy access. This way all you have to do is hit the door button and the dvd drive will be right there.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:02 PM
ares
Veteran

if the dvd drive is mounted to the underside of the cover, wouldnt the cover not spring open?

also you pc is running on 60watts? I heard that the higher speeds of chazz's design were having trouble at 150watts... and Im planning on 300w!!!
Old 03-09-2003, 09:08 PM
dmazyn

Ares,
The power supply I have, which has an issue I am sending it back to get a new one, is designed for the Via motherboards. It will run the motherboard, up to 1 gig of ram, a 2.5 inch HD and a cd/dvd drive. I had it running a few times before the power supply died on me. Now sure if it was because of too much stuff attached or what, but I will let you know when the new one comes in.

My pc is only the 800mhz Via board, I have read that the 900 and 1 gig use much more power.

As for the dvd drive keeping the door from opening, you might be right I will have to test it out and let you guys know. I also could build a case for the slot and put my own spring activated base where I could have the pc pop up at an angle to get to the dvd drive.

I am not sure how I will be mounting the pc yet. Still trying to find the best way. I don't want to use the spces in the back, just too hard to get to when you need it.

I am still working on getting it in a single din slot, I might have found a way and will post details later if it works out.

Quick Reply: Pics of Xenarc 7 inch touchscrren