Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Audio Install complete... pics inside -->

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does look great. Also looks like the XPel job went much better for you this time.

When we peeked into your car, my wife thought it didn't look good. Of course, I had to show her that the back end was still disassembled. Ohhhhhhh!
Old 10-10-2002, 08:29 PM
aggie300zx

Hey goober, where are you at in Corpus? I grew up there.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:31 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by Goober
It does look great. Also looks like the XPel job went much better for you this time.

When we peeked into your car, my wife thought it didn't look good. Of course, I had to show her that the back end was still disassembled. Ohhhhhhh!

show her these pics.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:41 PM
nizl

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
$3k with parts and labor.. went with initial qoute...

we (I) changed the setup like 10 times. install took 5 days total.
Sounds very reasonable, and looks like high-quality work.

I know, my installer is about to kill me... I keep changing stuff on him, calling him everyday... the car will have been there a week as of Saturday. My total cost was $5000, but I have more expensive components (Dynaudio, Zapco, IDMAX) and a little fancier work (plexiglass/fiberglass in the trunk, kick panels).

I'm gonna cruise down Sat to see their progress and may be able to get some "in-progress" pics.

Congrats again on the nice install!
Old 10-11-2002, 06:23 AM
MSGarrett1

Cool

Dude, that is a SCHWEET install. As is always the case with car audio, and especially subwoofer installs, it's ALL IN THE INSTALL!!! That is a very well done enclosure, and my experience with subwoofer installs done correctly behind seats, is that they do just fine. One does not necessarily need to bouce the sub off the glass in the hatch. I'm sure this vehicle sounds sweet.

One quick question--I'm planning a similar install, but was planning on the JL 500/5 amp. Do you think this amp will fit under the false bottom of the "glove compartment," even though it is about 6 inches longer than the JL 300/2 you had installed?
Old 10-11-2002, 08:02 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by MSGarrett1
One quick question--I'm planning a similar install, but was planning on the JL 500/5 amp. Do you think this amp will fit under the false bottom of the "glove compartment," even though it is about 6 inches longer than the JL 300/2 you had installed?
it wont fit. that was my first choice in amps. you could fit it between firewall and STB.. then build a surround for it. i really am happy with the layout of the amps... in actuallity the only pieces of the car, which are not reversable are the metal sub holder (which shouldnt be there except on touring models, IMHO), and the cover for it. i figure if i need to return to normal, I will just buy a new plastic cover...

m
Old 10-11-2002, 08:20 AM
MSGarrett1

Cool

Thanks. I'm thinking the way you went is pretty much the way to go. I may wait and see if JL audio comes out with a stealthbox for this vehicle, and see what they do. I've also considered putting the JL 500/5 in the place where you have your subs (in a nice custom display), mounting the component crossovers in the glove compartment, and finding some install that works well for a sub in the hatch. But this configuration seems like a huge waste of sub space behind the driver's seat, and a huge waste of what little trunk/storage space we have in back in the first place.

I'm also considering using Focal 165K2 components in the front and a Focal 6.5" coaxial in the rear instead of the Boston components you chose. But I'm definitely going with JL amp/s and JL sub/s.

Here's another idea. Mount an aftermarket head unit in one of the little storage bins, like where the DVD/nav unit is, and run everything from there. One could leave the stock stereo looking stock (look somewhere else theives), without actually using the stock stereo at all. What do you think?
Old 10-11-2002, 08:26 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

i didnt go aftermarket head unit cause of the nav integration. once that is figured out by someone, and hopefully metra or someone will have kits for the headunit plates, i will go that route.

neither storage space is available to me, as i have the nav din now, and getting the CD changer din in a while...

m
Old 10-11-2002, 08:40 AM
nizl

neither storage space is available to me, as i have the nav din now, and getting the CD changer din in a while...
Hey, are you getting the changer from the dealer? If so, how much did they quote you?
Old 10-11-2002, 09:13 AM
MSGarrett1

Originally posted by nizl
Hey, are you getting the changer from the dealer? If so, how much did they quote you?
The 6-disc CD Autochanger is listed at $649.00 as an accessory by the Nissan dealerships (part #B8183-CD000). By the way, they also sell the charcoal trim piece for $10.90 (for around the changer--part 79942-CD000). This trim piece is also available in the frost color (part 79942-CD001) for the same price.

I have a list of all the Nissan accessories for the Z with prices if anyone wants to know anything else.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:59 AM
MSGarrett1

Question

Hey SKiDaZZLe, quick question: You say you're using the factory head unit, right? But your install shows a set of RCA pre-amp cables going into the JL 300/2. Did someone solder speaker level wires to these RCA's and then connect the RCA's to the amp with the input sensitivity set to high on the amp (800mV - 8V)?
Old 10-11-2002, 11:08 AM
MSGarrett1

Question

Another quick question. Where exactly are your amps grounded? Any alternator whine whatsoever?
Old 10-11-2002, 11:33 AM
STLZ
Banned

Thumbs up PROPS for the install

VERY CLEAN NICE WORK
Old 10-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Winkin

Ditto...looks very clean. I'm thinking of having Tweeters do mine too. This proves they're very good at what they do

Bet that **** bumps like nothin else
Old 10-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by MSGarrett1

Here's another idea. Mount an aftermarket head unit in one of the little storage bins, like where the DVD/nav unit is, and run everything from there. One could leave the stock stereo looking stock (look somewhere else theives), without actually using the stock stereo at all. What do you think?
If you are talking about the front storage area, where the NAV screen is, there is not enough depth in that compartment. I tried to mount my Eclipse AV8022, but not deep enough, so I replaced the stock hu. I will have pics later.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:45 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3k with parts and labor.. went with initial qoute...
F**K THAT! That thing better sound like God for that kind of money. I'd have a hard time dropping change like that on car audio.

You'll have to drop a Slayer disc in it to let me see how really good it is.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:40 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by droidekaus
F**K THAT! That thing better sound like God for that kind of money. I'd have a hard time dropping change like that on car audio.

You'll have to drop a Slayer disc in it to let me see how really good it is.
ok brad... the bose sounds worse than my stock system. hahahahah.

i now have a track with leather and a nice stereo... go get some rays wheels and brembo brakes, and lets compare bottom lines...

i went with txstyle to go price brembos... $3200, my friend, for just the fronts. any nice lightweight wheels will cost well over $2000 (not including tires). i spent less than $4000 on "touring up" my track.

garrett: they chopped off one end of the rca pair to connect to the high level from the headunit. the amp can take

m
Old 10-11-2002, 08:11 PM
droideka

ok brad... the bose sounds worse than my stock system. hahahahah.

i now have a track with leather and a nice stereo... go get some rays wheels and brembo brakes, and lets compare bottom lines...

i went with txstyle to go price brembos... $3200, my friend, for just the fronts. any nice lightweight wheels will cost well over $2000 (not including tires). i spent less than $4000 on "touring up" my track.
I don't give a **** what I'm driving. I'm not spending three grand on car audio. I've got more important things to buy like $4K guitars.

P.S. Remember to tell me how much non-heated leather sucks when it gets bitterly cold this winter.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:57 PM
nizl

Originally posted by droidekaus
I don't give a **** what I'm driving. I'm not spending three grand on car audio. I've got more important things to buy like $4K guitars.
I've got a $2k custom Les Paul... $2k Mesa/Boogie Rectifier... $10k home studio...

And now I'm spending $5k on my Z stereo..

So, you lost me Brad? What's your point, you really like Slayer to sound like **** coming out of the BLOSE system? Not much of a musician then...
Old 10-11-2002, 10:44 PM
droideka

Originally posted by nizl
I've got a $2k custom Les Paul... $2k Mesa/Boogie Rectifier... $10k home studio...

And now I'm spending $5k on my Z stereo..

So, you lost me Brad? What's your point, you really like Slayer to sound like **** coming out of the BLOSE system? Not much of a musician then...
Good for you.

Hahaha. Well, ****. You got me. I guess I've got other things to pay for as well like a 4100 sq. ft. home. Nissan's supposed to fix my BLOSE, if they don't, then I'll take my refund for the BLOSE (hahaha, I must be dreaming) and do something about the stereo. Still, there's no f**king way I'd spend $3K-$5K on a system in a $35K car. Period. I'd NEVER get that money back. $1K tops.

Quick Reply: Audio Install complete... pics inside -->