Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Audio Install complete... pics inside -->

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 07:01 AM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That almost follows the line from the people who say....

"You spent $35000 for a car! Why?"

Remember, to each his own. Sounds like money well spent to me.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:09 AM
MSGarrett1

Originally posted by Apexi350z
If you are talking about the front storage area, where the NAV screen is, there is not enough depth in that compartment. I tried to mount my Eclipse AV8022, but not deep enough, so I replaced the stock hu. I will have pics later.
Nope. I'm talking about the two rear storage bins, where the stock CD changer or stock DVD/nav player (not screen) go.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:17 AM
MSGarrett1

Talking

Hey hey guys. Let's stop quibbling. I'll have to agree with Goober . . . to each his own. I know guys who drive $80,000 cars but live in $100,000 homes. I also know guys who drive $20,000 cars and live in $700,000 homes. So it's all about what pleases the individual . . . how much pleasure one derives from something determines its utility to that individual. I'm sure Texas A&M football tickets aren't worth 5 bucks to you folks from Cali, but to me I pay several thousand dollars a year for season tickets--even when we lose a nail-biter in overtime to Texas Tech.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:42 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright. I met up with Michael today and had a listen to the stereo. We popped in God Hates Us All and let it rip. I have to say, it is 100%...

I still can't imagine spending $3K, but more than anything, I'm really jealous that I had to drop that much on furniture for a front sitting area of my house instead of being able to blow it on a system. You unmarried guys should live it up!
Old 10-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by droidekaus
Alright. I met up with Michael today and had a listen to the stereo. We popped in God Hates Us All and let it rip. I have to say, it is 100%...

And I stood witness to that joyous event. Actually, I was busy drying off my car while these 2 knuckleheads were scaring the other carwash patrons w/ this "devil" music.

I still can't imagine spending $3K, but more than anything, I'm really jealous that I had to drop that much on furniture for a front sitting area of my house instead of being able to blow it on a system. You unmarried guys should live it up!
Shoot, I spent all of my "live it up" cards buying this dang car. I guess I'm really fortunate to have a g/f that'll let me blow $35k on a car than $5k on an engagement ring.

Michael.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:26 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas

Shoot, I spent all of my "live it up" cards buying this dang car. I guess I'm really fortunate to have a g/f that'll let me blow $35k on a car than $5k on an engagement ring.

Michael.
see... thats the problem... i get away with crap like this since I spent $15K on the eng. ring... 13 on the diamond alone which is a blue nile signature. 2 on the scott kay ring.

yeesh... thats a lot of mods i could have bought

m
Old 10-12-2002, 08:27 PM
raceboy
Banned

$15K for an engagement ring?? Are you on crack?? You are fully aware that you have a better than 50% chance of getting a divorce and never seeing that ring again, aren't you? Engagement rings are strictly "divorce insurance." You guys are nuts!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love my wife with all my heart, but we don't even share a bank account!! Hell, we don't even use the same bank. I could never live my life having to ask permission to buy anything. Luckily, I married someone that was financially my equal. We have never had a fight about money. The only time we ever even talk about $$$ is when doing something together like investments, or an expensive vacation.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Zay

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
see... thats the problem... i get away with crap like this since I spent $15K on the eng. ring... 13 on the diamond alone which is a blue nile signature. 2 on the scott kay ring.

m
... and what is it that you do for a living?
Old 10-12-2002, 08:39 PM
DIGItonium

Sorry if I didn't catch this in the post.

Do you need adapter for 6.5" door speaker install?
What happened to the tweeters, and any wiring
guesswork?

As for the rear, how did you wire the speakers?
Adapters?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2002, 09:31 PM
nizl

Originally posted by droidekaus
Hahaha. Well, ****. You got me. I guess I've got other things to pay for as well like a 4100 sq. ft. home.
Hey, just for the record, my only beef was that you came out so aggressively against car audio systems when you yourself are a guitarist and big music fan. That's my only point.

FWIW, I just sold my 1000 sq ft house in San Diego for a $130k profit (after all fees), so splurging a little on a stereo seemed justified.

Still, there's no f**king way I'd spend $3K-$5K on a system in a $35K car. Period. I'd NEVER get that money back. $1K tops.
You're right, there's absolutely no way you'll get the money back out. Then again, new cars are a massively depreciating asset anyways, so we're really all wasting money to being with.

Also, I don't know if you've priced decent car audio lately, but it is EXPENSIVE. Seriously, I was aiming at $1500-2000 initially, but could barely get a decent sub and components. Just the Dynaudio 3-ways I wound up with are $800, and that's at a major discount.

Anyways....

My whole point thru this rambling is that I'd love to have spent $2k, but knowing now what I do, and what I'm getting for $5k (and I shopped around A LOT over 8 months), $3k seems like a pretty "good deal".

P.S. They've already had my car over a week...
Old 10-12-2002, 09:48 PM
droideka

m
You and Michael would cry if you found out what I spent. My wife wanted a house instead of a big ring, she got it. She wanted a bigger house and custom furniture, she got that too. At least I can enjoy the house and furniture.

Do you enjoy that ring?
Old 10-12-2002, 10:09 PM
droideka

Originally posted by nizl
Hey, just for the record, my only beef was that you came out so aggressively against car audio systems when you yourself are a guitarist and big music fan. That's my only point.
****, you thought I was against car audio? I was taken aback at the thought of spending $3K plus. I have NO IDEA how much car audio costs these days. Hell, the last time I put a "system" in my car was 16 years ago in my POS Camaro. That system consisted of a $90 HU, a $25 7-band EQ and a pair of Pioneer 75W 6x9s.

FWIW, I just sold my 1000 sq ft house in San Diego for a $130k profit (after all fees), so splurging a little on a stereo seemed justified.
Holy ****. That's all I have to say.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:27 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by djtonium
Sorry if I didn't catch this in the post.

Do you need adapter for 6.5" door speaker install?
What happened to the tweeters, and any wiring
guesswork?

As for the rear, how did you wire the speakers?
Adapters?

Thanks!
door speakers need 1" spacer ring.. same for altima and maxima.

tweeters have their own wiring in the door, but since my crossover is in the kick panel, we ran 2 new speaker wires to the door, through some loom.

rear speakers we just used stock wires, with new connectors for the bostons.

michael
Old 10-13-2002, 09:58 AM
Michael-Dallas

$15k for an engagement ring??? My g/f says she doesn't care about the cost of the ring as long as it's princess cut. Ever heard of... cubic zirconia...?

Michael.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Driven

My priorities must be a little off by comparison also. I paid about the same for my wife's ring...the rational was: floor her, make sure she gets compliments daily, and a way to make a statement like, "this guy must love her a LOT" and "damn...no need to even approach her...I can see that damn ring from across the room!" But even so, I'm not sure how much I can justify blowing on my stereo for the Z. I already have some decent equipment from a previous vehicle I'm hoping to utilize...and am crossing my fingers I can get a real good sounding system for less than an additional $1,500. Quick question for all of you since I don't have my Z yet: could someone post some pics of the tweeter location. I heard they are in the window brace? Or is this only on the Touring? Would like to know what I'm in for.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Driven

Almost forgot: Michael Dallas: if you're going to get her a princess cut...you're in luck, because you can actually get "more" rock for the money in carot weight compared to brilliant, but the tradeoff is that you may have to get a better clarity and color to get her something striking. Because of the cut of princess, it is more "glasslike" and has fewer facets which means it reflects less light and will hide less. I went colorless on a princess cut and could have gotten away with less....but am glad I didn't because non of her girlfriend's rings have compared. Anyway, my point is...when you find one you like and can afford figure a way to take it into natural light and compare it to some others that may be out of your price range. That will help you decide what is important to you, and you may change the direction you head for your final decision. ie you may have thought that your original choice looked great, but upon comparison realized it looked quite "yellow" and now may be better off getting a slightly smaller rock with a higher color designation. Get it? Good luck, and DON'T get her a cubic zirconia!
Old 11-18-2002, 09:42 AM
synergytheory

I am a huge Slayer fan! Seen 'em live 3 times back in Australia. Machine Head, Sepultura, Soul FLy, Mesuggha, Disturbed all heavy music...
Guitar gear? TriAxis+2:90 boogie, rocktron FX n EQ, 2 custom Ibanez's, Takamine, Yamaha MD4, etc etc etc.

And I agree with nizl. Being the music fan you are, why not spend that much on a system if you had the money! I know I would...
It makes the experience of the music, that much better!
Late
Old 11-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Phatmitzu

Thumbs up

SWEET!~

Quick Reply: Audio Install complete... pics inside -->