Notices

Write-up: My solution to the stock sound-blocking door speaker grills

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:06 AM
ZThang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the awesome write-up/idea. I just did this and it made the sound more crisp and much less muddy. Took me less than 10 minutes to finish everything. However, i dremeled out the entire center of the grill b/c i don't really see a problem with the speakers getting damaged since they're so far in. Also, i used one of those athletic runners mesh t-shirts for the grill cover. Only cost me $5 at walmart. Very easy mod thanks.

And for giggles heres the current status of my car
Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool mesh idea!

Yeah, the cross-bars are probably unneccessary; you'd have to kick your foot in there pretty good to hit the speaker. I just did it as an extra precaution and since it was my first attempt. In the future, I'd probably just cut out the whole center like that unless anyone specifically asked for the cross-bars; it'd make for much quicker work.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR

Wonderful idea.. How did you remove the grill? I'm assuming with a small flat-head screw driver. The last time I removed the grill, I did it after the door panel was removed. It was easy with the door panel removed because you had control of the grill clips from the backside. But what about removing the grill without removing the door panel? Does wedging the screwdriver in there cause the soft rim of the door panel to warp or scratch?

Val
Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by vo7848
Wonderful idea.. How did you remove the grill? I'm assuming with a small flat-head screw driver. The last time I removed the grill, I did it after the door panel was removed. It was easy with the door panel removed because you had control of the grill clips from the backside. But what about removing the grill without removing the door panel? Does wedging the screwdriver in there cause the soft rim of the door panel to warp or scratch?

Val

Yes, I would be concerned about this as well; I wouldn't recommend removing them from the front. I popped mine out from the back side when I had my door panels off during my audio install.

Pulling the door panel is rediculously easy, so taking 5 min to do that and popping the grill out from the back is more than worth it as opposed to running the risk of screwing up the front of the door panel trying to pry them out that way. I know the door panel removal DIY thread has gone MIA... I took enough pics to make a new one when I have time, though.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:12 PM
ZThang

I pried mine off from the front without removing the whole panel and nothing was damaged. The plastic they used for the grills are very dense, so i don't think you really have to worry about breaking the tabs.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:16 AM
VO...
Administrator

Yes, I would be concerned about this as well; I wouldn't recommend removing them from the front. I popped mine out from the back side when I had my door panels off during my audio install.

Pulling the door panel is rediculously easy, so taking 5 min to do that and popping the grill out from the back is more than worth it as opposed to running the risk of screwing up the front of the door panel trying to pry them out that way. I know the door panel removal DIY thread has gone MIA... I took enough pics to make a new one when I have time, though.
I've removed the panels before. It's not that bad. But mine are harder to remove now. I installed Kappa tweeters in the stock location of the original ones. When I go to lift the door panel so the upper clips pop out, the top of the door hits the tweets. I have to remove the tweets prior to removal of the door. It's kinda complicated how I did it, but it was look I was going for. If I could remove the grills without removing the door that would be perfect! Man, but I have to give it to ya. I was impressed with your improvising and coming up with a solution. Have I ever met you before at one of the meets? I'm not good with screen names.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:29 AM
MustGoFastR

Yeah, I met you a while back on that Galveston cruise from the Nasa Hooters. Been to a couple meets since then, but I don't think we ran into each other. Man, are there any meets coming up? I haven't been in a while...
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by ZThang
I pried mine off from the front without removing the whole panel and nothing was damaged. The plastic they used for the grills are very dense, so i don't think you really have to worry about breaking the tabs.
Yeah, the grills are pretty stout; it's not damage to those that's the concern, it's damage to the door panel itself from prying on the grill. It can deff. be done, though; you just have to be careful. Best place to pry is opposite the large tab on the grills, which would be at the 8 O'clock position on the driver's side and 4 O'clock on the pass side (pry there and gently work your way around). If you want zero risk od damaging the door panel, though, it's best to pop them out from the backside.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 AM
VO...
Administrator

Yeah, the grills are pretty stout; it's not damage to those that's the concern, it's damage to the door panel itself from prying on the grill. It can deff. be done, though; you just have to be careful. Best place to pry is opposite the large tab on the grills, which would be at the 8 O'clock position on the driver's side and 4 O'clock on the pass side (pry there and gently work your way around). If you want zero risk od damaging the door panel, though, it's best to pop them out from the backside.
This is good info to know. I think I will take my chances on prying them out. I'd like to get this done before IFO next weekend. I'll order the mesh today.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:15 PM
240Zplus110

Here's a link to where my buddy got the speaker grill material that I used for cheap:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-335
Sourced the speaker cloth from an auto uphostery shop -- cost $5. They recommended 3M spray glue #76 (IIRC) to attach to the plastic.

Long story short.. I used this DIY to convert my speaker covers, Dremel tool and all. I used the spray glue on both the front and rear edges, stretched the fabric on while the glue was still tacky. I then trimmed the excess.

So far eveything is holding... after one cold rainy day

Thanks for the effort to post your work and the inspiration to do mine!!!

Cheers.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:52 AM
JCZ33

Are you going to do the rear speaker covers as well?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by JCZ33
Are you going to do the rear speaker covers as well?
no, the rear grills don't have any blockage.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 PM
UltraYellow350z

I just spent 2 days drilling out the covered holes of the oem speaker grills. I didn't want to cut out the whole thing because I don't want it to look different when modded. Drilling out the holes definitely help a lot, thanks for the idea MustGoFastR
Old 03-20-2007, 03:13 PM
hockiman90

is there any other way to attach that mesh material? im not to great of a sewer so it would be kinda hard
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
jamaicanj

Thanks for the tips
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM
MRfire

Wow, nice job. Glad I popped in here. I wonder why the hell they covered half the holes in the first place?
Old 03-24-2007, 04:37 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MRfire
Wow, nice job. Glad I popped in here. I wonder why the hell they covered half the holes in the first place?
The speakers are in the lower part of the door, susceptible to water damage, a less than optimal location. I am sure they have them covered to protect the speaker.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally did this mod because i had the door off anyways..

MustGoFastR, great original idea! was so easy and I can hear the difference in my midbass..

ZThang, Thanks for your pics.. I cut up an old black mesh running shirt like you did and glued the edges.

took a grand total of like 20 mins..
Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
SS21CA

Oh man, I somehow never came accross this thread. Great idea, I think it is soo stupid how the stock grill blocks most of the sound from coming out.

Great write up.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Silkk

Wow. Sweet. Definitely getting on this sometime soon... Great post!!

I don't have a "system" but a little extra oomph to cover the exhaust drone is always nice. Shouldn't be hard to cover the Borla "drone" anyway as its pretty quiet.

Quick Reply: Write-up: My solution to the stock sound-blocking door speaker grills