Notices

Write-up: My solution to the stock sound-blocking door speaker grills

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009 | 01:14 PM
BakaN20

Originally Posted by TShepp
Im doing mine right now except I dont have any sewing capabilities...trying to figure out a different way of keeping it attached
What I did was make sure there was enough extra, pulled it until it was tight, zip tied the extra until it was tight, then cut off the excess. Sorry my explanation sucks, i guess its like, when a girl pulls her hair back and ties it off, the material will be the girls hair
Old 10-06-2009 | 05:58 PM
3m wol8

Originally Posted by TShepp
Im doing mine right now except I dont have any sewing capabilities...trying to figure out a different way of keeping it attached
epoxy on the back?
Old 10-19-2009 | 03:12 PM
zakmartin

I did the grille mod and in all honesty, I didn't notice any significant change in the quality of the sound coming out of my woofers. I ended up pulling the modified cloth grilles off and replaced them with a new factory set when it was all over. The experiment set me back about $65.

What actually did make my component speakers sound 100% better was drilling out the window sails, exposing the tweeters and aiming them property. The difference was night and day after that.
Old 10-27-2009 | 05:06 PM
stockbase08

I saw this thread and thought cool idea. I went out to home depot and bought a dremal. I then took off the panels and listened to the sound with nothing there and did not really notice any difference. How could this be right? Well I looked at the back of the cover and noticed that really only about a 1/3 or less of the cover was actually blocked. The rest was open. At least for my 08 350z base. Well I put that sucker right back on and kept it clean. Took the dremel back as well. Keep it clean. Keep it OEM yall.
Old 10-30-2009 | 05:31 AM
BakaN20

Originally Posted by stockbase08
I saw this thread and thought cool idea. I went out to home depot and bought a dremal. I then took off the panels and listened to the sound with nothing there and did not really notice any difference. How could this be right? Well I looked at the back of the cover and noticed that really only about a 1/3 or less of the cover was actually blocked. The rest was open. At least for my 08 350z base. Well I put that sucker right back on and kept it clean. Took the dremel back as well. Keep it clean. Keep it OEM yall.

Got a picture of your speaker cover? I wonder if they changed, because on my 06, its like, 2/3r is blocked, lol.

What actually did make my component speakers sound 100% better was drilling out the window sails, exposing the tweeters and aiming them property. The difference was night and day after that.
Got pics? Would like to see how you did it. Thanks
Old 06-19-2013 | 10:40 AM
SirMichael

This worked awesomely. I went ahead and superglued down the edges after sewing and it looks great. Thanks for the write up.
Old 08-27-2013 | 09:30 PM
Fast007

Default Cloth speaker covers

Ladies and gentlemen did it. Stopped by my local goodwill and picked up a nearly sheer Nike shirt, then swung by autozone and picked a can of 3M adhesive. Popped off the grills without removing the doors. Cut out the mid-section and proceeded to apply the adhesive and the piece of cloth, after curing for about 5 the bond was pretty tight. Put
them back on and I can tell you there is a difference in the sound.

Thanks for the idea!

Old 12-22-2013 | 07:01 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Fast007
Ladies and gentlemen did it. Stopped by my local goodwill and picked up a nearly sheer Nike shirt, then swung by autozone and picked a can of 3M adhesive. Popped off the grills without removing the doors. Cut out the mid-section and proceeded to apply the adhesive and the piece of cloth, after curing for about 5 the bond was pretty tight. Put
them back on and I can tell you there is a difference in the sound.

Thanks for the idea!

I'll definitely be doing something like this with my grills.. but I see some questions regarding if the 2008 350z grills were changed? People are saying they did the mod and with or without the grills on their speakers sounded no different?

These grills come off without pulling the door panels off? If so, nice.. this is something I can do at any time, .. I have the dremel.. so just looking for the right color and type of cloth/mesh covering. Also not a sewer.. so I'll be using adhesive or something else to keep these things on. Almost seems like you could pull it tight.. and then press them back on and the pressure from the door would keep the cloth/mesh you put on tight?
Old 03-21-2014 | 12:38 PM
marcster13

I liked this idea so I tried it. I left more of the grill in place though in case a foot did make contact with it. I dremled out every other row of the speaker cover and drilled holes in what was left of the blocked portion of the covers. I cut the speaker cover material I purchased online a few inches larger than the speaker cover.
As a starting point I clamped the material to the largest clip/guide on the cover. I then carefully sprayed headliner grade 3M spray around the solid back edges of the grill. I let it stand a couple minutes to get tacky. I then carefully pulled the material accross the grill tightly and folded it over the edges to the back side and pressed the material firmly onto the glue. If I hadn't used the clamp I don't think I could have done it unless I had a second person holding the grill. Then again, to many hands might get in the way. Sorry I didn't take to many pics but I've attached what I have.
Attached Thumbnails Write-up: My solution to the stock sound-blocking door speaker grills-img_20140310_195910_712-2-.jpg   Write-up: My solution to the stock sound-blocking door speaker grills-img_20140310_195838_461.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014 | 08:15 PM
ExaltedVanguard

Just to test this out (to see if I want to do it), I went and pulled off the covers and listened for a bit, comparing it to having them one. I just used a thin screwdriver covered in masking tape and it came out no problem.

There is a difference in sound quality with them off. Mids come out clearer. It's not night and day, but it's definitely an improvement. Now I'm not on stock speakers, so it may have a greater (or lesser) impact on other setups.

For those wondering, the long plug (which determines how you pry the cover off) is facing up and toward the front of the car.

The only thing that makes me hesitate about doing this is the kick factor. I mean, I doubt anyone kicks their door on a regular basis, but it can always happen... and it would really, really suck to kick this in and damage a speaker.

How sturdy are the crossbars left in (is it enough to stop a careless foot, or will it just snap)?
Old 10-09-2014 | 05:48 PM
openupitsdave

lol teeshirt grills...

Why dont you just drill holes right into the grill? The fake holes can become real holes...
And if youre still not satisfied, drill bigger holes!

Tee-shirts gonna get dirty and look like ****..
Old 10-11-2014 | 08:59 AM
VO...
Administrator

Whew, haven't seen this thread in years. I know I did this modification and love it. Can't remember if I posted pics or not...
Old 10-11-2014 | 09:03 AM
VO...
Administrator

Just found my post. Did this 7 years ago! It's still holding strong and looks good...