Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

New Owner Scared Sh***less

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 AM
mekelele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Scared Sh***less

I have just orderd new 350Z and so has my brother (this is his nick actualy im not member) and it should arive in weak or two. They are both touring.

Ive heard in past that some 03 Models have had some problems with tyres and stereo, but reading this forum has me thinking that i maight have been to hasty. I mean i was charmed by the looks of it and the test drive, and i though for 60k you have to get some quality. But now... im starting to be more well

Anyway Im starting to think about canceling the order, fu** the 2k deposit. Rather loose that then have a lemon. Thinkging of going for Rx8 insted , i mean i hate Rotors, and the fact that they gulp the fuel, but atleast that car is quality built, no mechanical issues what so ever.

But before i do that, i just want to know is there any members here that have 04 model, that have driven more than 20 000 Kms and HAVE NOT EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS WITH CAR, and are HAPPY
Old 11-27-2004, 07:19 AM
NzZ

Default Re: New Owner Scared Sh***less

If you did your homework you'd see that the Rx8 has tons of mechanical issues. Paint is soft, motor gets horrible MPG, tons of seal leaks, etc. Most sports cars these days have some small issues. With the exception of tire feathering, the Z's issues are hardly unique.

NzZ
Old 11-27-2004, 12:31 PM
mickyboy

Default Scared

The 03 models were the first batch ever of a brand new car. Of course there would be problems. Every manufacturer including Nissan have there problems.
I have an 04, no problems as they have had in the US with the 03.
Not to say you won't have problems, but less likely now.
You have bought the best looking sports car for the money. RX8 just doesn't compare. If you want a ladies 'sports car' then by the Mazda.
If you want a drivers car with rough edges get the ZED!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:20 PM
ZZZ-35

Welcome to the world of the 350Z it's going to be the next big cult car if it's not already like the R34 GTR. I have a 2003 DB Track model which was in the first batch to hit Aus, it,s got 37,000k on the clock and the only real issue I've had is the tyre feathering one which is now fixed and Nissan paid for two brand new tyres.
Now check out what after market mods are available for the 350z, heaps and more coming out all the time. You would'nt find a better two seater sports car around for it,s price, mine has had a quite few modifications made to it and I would have to say that you would have to buy a 996 Porsche to equal its performance in all departments handling, power and braking sure the paintwork is not as good but for the total all up costs of around $85,000 against the price of the Porsche $200,000+ I'm pretty happy and by the way my car is delevoping 280rwkw, she pretty dam quick but if you prefer the soft girlie Madaz RX8 go for it because the 350Z is an all ***** sportcar.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:30 PM
mekelele

Ok guys no need to get jumpy, i was just expresing my fealing. I mean reading this forums (mostly US post to be honest) one gets impresion that Z has mechanical problems with almost anything.

Im just curious if the 04, ill be gething will have any fixes or will it suffer same traume as 03.

And regarding Rx8 i think you guys are overdoing it a bit. I would not call it a "girly" car. Thats whats Mx-5 is for. Only problem i have with Rx8 is that god forsaken engine. "the ****** engine" . If they included version with the engine from MPS in their range it would be hard ti beat.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:02 PM
ypwpat

Hi mekelele.

Welcome to the Forum, I find that all car makers are never Problem proof. All car always have minor problem. So i think it's pretty much normal. But i believe if you want free problem car, maybe Lexus is a car for you. But i'm not sure.

But anyway i have RX8 as well, But in Indonesia. The reason is because it's cheap back home and the Fuel is ALOT cheaper than here as well. Also we neeed couple of seats anyway. A 350Z up there is cost twice the price than here.

But anyway, RX8 is more like a Fun car, but not Extream at all. as well i find 350z is a great looking car yet in different concept. I find 350z is more European than RX8, yet much more classier looks than RX8, RX8 is more Super car looks but it's not that Fast.

So it's up to you what you need and what problem is ok for you to face.

Cheers
Yun

BTW: Which state you at?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:14 AM
mekelele

Sydney NSW.

I agree that z350 looks clasier, and well more impresive, the black and silver ones have the pressence of porse.

The Rx8 well from a distance youd mistake it for Mazda6. And its how should i put it, OVER DESIGNED.

PS: Regarding the "tyre issue" you say its fixed. Did NISSAN just give you set of new rubbers or have they actualy made a fix so that new tyres wont feather.

It that problem unique to track or is it found on touring as well, and does it occure only if car is driven hard or will it happend regardless.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:54 AM
DavidM

I've had my car now for exactly a year, and I've had no issues. I don't have any tyre-featering either ... I would not be surprised if it's simply alignement and tyre-pressure related and can be avoided by looking after both.

Though, if you think about it ... you won't find "I have no problems" posts on forums as people post when they do have a problem ... not when everything is fine. You'll find that with any car and any internet forum. You'll find plenty of posts about problems when you look up the RX8, S2000, Boxster or M3 forums ... does not mean the cars are lemons, just that just like with anything - some of them have some problems.

So, just buy the car that you'll be happy with and don't worry about the problems you read about on the furums (for whatever car that maybe).
Old 11-28-2004, 12:58 AM
ypwpat

even a Ferrari can give you a Headache with the Problem :P
Old 11-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Jagz

Agree with the above. I have an 04 Track with 10k on it. No issues. Only real concern so far is the paint. Personally I feel that it could do with abit more power however there are now solutions out on the market to fix that issue (APS etc). Overall great car and still get a buzz out of driving it.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:38 AM
apsilon

Originally posted by mekelele
... I would not call it a "girly" car. Thats whats Mx-5 is for.
I hope that's an attempt at humour and not your ignorance showing. It may be a little lacking in straight line go but as real roads have corners and bends and don't end at the 400m mark it doesn't matter that much.

As for build/mechanical issues yes you may run into one or two (particular the tyre feathering issue) but it's no different than any other car really. They all have their quirks, some more than others.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:49 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the US problems occured because the car was released a year earlier(02) than here. So most problems have been ironed out by now.

I would (did) buy the 350z over any other car in its price range or in higher price ranges. It is the best buy and a great car.

Last edited by mchapman; 11-29-2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:52 AM
newtlicious

I currently own a "Girly RX-8" and I'm looking to buy a 350ZR in the spring. There have been some mechanical issues with the 8, mostly due to the last minute ECU tune required by changing emissions laws. This was fixed with a simple dealer reflash. Mechanically, the 8 has been just as sound as the 350. These are 2 different cars and I'm tired of the "350 vs RX8" squabbling.

mchapman - To say that "The 350Z is the best buy" is inaccurate. If you needed to tow a boat would the 350Z be the best buy? If you needed to pick up your family at the airport would the 350Z be the best buy? A more accurate statement would be "the 350Z is the best buy for me" Best buy is relative to the individuals needs. I enjoy being able to transport more than one beautiful woman around at a time without putting one in the trunk.

NzZ - The statement about the RX8 paint being soft is rediculous because the Z paint isn't exactly known for it's durability either. A little more research would have prevented a statement such as this.

apsilon - Thank you for being mature enough to realize that peoples daily commute is not a straight line 1/4 mile.

mekelele - To say the an RX8 could be mistaken for a 6 is just retarded, that's all I have to say about that.

ypwpat - I hope you weren't insinuating that the 350Z is an extreme car. I hate to burst any bubbles (including my own) but the 350Z is not extreme even compared to the RX8. A 1000 HP TT Hennesey Viper is extreme.

ZZZ-35 - Neither your beloved Z or my beloved 8 are sports cars, they are both "sporty" cars that take different approaches to the same goal. Ferarri's, Lamborghini's Aston Martins etc. etc. are the purebreds. To refer to a mid 14 second car as "All *****" is a bit optimistic. (they do look nice though)

Now that I'm sure I pissed everyone off I would like to clarify further. This is not a "my RX8 is better" post. What makes a car "better" is what a person needs their car to do. My fiancee already has a PPW 2004.5 ZR. I can't imagine the logistical nightmares we will run into when I buy my ZR. We'll have to take separate cars to the golf course for god's sake! I do love my 8 but my needs have changed and now a backseat isn't necessary.

That's my rant, I'll miss my 8 and love my Z. Can't we all just get along?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:53 PM
ZZZ-35

newtlicious

Your right, the RX8 is a 4 seater sporty car and the 350 is a two seater sports car and yes I do believe the Zed is more of a sport car than the 8, more money has been spent on the go bits instead of the interior and refinements. So really they should not be compared but maybe the S2000 v 350Z is a better match and yes generally the Z is faster around most race tracks. Low 14s is general for the Z with the auto around 13.9s mine is around mid 12s.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:31 PM
zuff

I've had my Zed from Feb 2003 and the only complaint is the lack of interest from the dealer to fix known problems.

Most of the problems are very small...non are mechanical...

In Australia when you buy a Zed you are accepting that the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on. If you can handle that you'll love the car.

If you want a Nissan dealer to look after your car...you are in the wrong country! They have no idea about the zed... much less about mechanical issues!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:22 PM
ypwpat

hi Newtlicious

I'm not trying to say the 350Z is better than RX8. What i mean on the straight line performance the 350Z give you better pull back to your seat feeling than RX8.

As most profesional do agree that RX8 or Mazdaspeed RX8 is a Fun car for track, but not a Competition type of vehicle. Where 350Z do attended a couple type of Racing Categories. Sorry for the misunderstanding here.

As i said: i'm not to criticize both car, as we own both car in different country.

Cheers

pS: one more thing, the RX8 aftermarket parts is more expensive than 350Z's aftermarket parts.

Last edited by ypwpat; 11-29-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:00 AM
mekelele

To ME from the front and at the distance 8 does look like 6 a bit. So then call me retarded.

And i ve decided to stick with the ZZZ, it should be here in about a week. For owners of BLACK ones, are you finding it harder during hot weather??
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 AM
ypwpat

correction.....

From Distance the RX8 looks more like the 3 lol
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 AM
mekelele

well now....
Old 12-06-2004, 01:56 PM
ELL.21

Well i would have to say this bitching session was a very entertaining read

IMO dude, the Z is an all round fantastic sports car, a little impracticle for everyday living ie: carrying big things in boot and being able to fit more than one Grandma, thats the only downfall i see.

It all comes down to what you need......I need a Z :P

Quick Reply: New Owner Scared Sh***less