Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

DBA Disc Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DBA Disc Rotors

Anyone looking to upgrade their disc rotors for track use I strongly recomend the DBA 4000 series. DBA made 8 sets for us to take to Bathurst for the 24hr race last year and we only used one set. They will run cooler and have a temperature guide on the side to tell how hot they are getting. We have since competed in over 5 sprint races (with a new set) and only used 1 set of front pads. I am convinced they do run cooler and extend pad life. I am now getting the rear discs made and would recomend them to anybody. DBA also make slotted, drilled and two piece rotors for the Z. For more info go to www.dba.com.au
Old 04-02-2003, 02:37 AM
apsilon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW the DBA drilled rotors are know to crack with mild performance use so steer clear unless you're just after the looks. DBA state this themselves, normal street use only.

The DBA slotted rotors that I purchased instead arrived already warped. That's rather poor quality control IMO. Once I had them turned they've been fine and I'm happy with the performance in conjunction with the EBC pads.

Don't think I'd use them again. YMMV.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

apsilon, How long ago did you buy the DBA disc's and were they the 4000 series like Im talking about?? Now if you dont believe me and think we were going soft at Bathurst you can go ahead and replace with the stock discs at almost $3000.00 for a front set from Nissan. The Discs I used with full racing pads (not EBC street pads) were the 4000 series and after a full 24 hours use were not warped and had no signs of major cracking. That to me is excelent quality control. They are heat treated and run cooler than stock. That means they will not warp as easily. I dont know how long ago and what quality the discs you bought were but the 4000 series will do me just fine and at a fraction of the cost of the original discs are hard to pass.
As for DBA stating that these discs are made for normal street use only. This is a standard disclaimer and Im sure the Nissan product would say the same thing. After all these discs are NOT made for racing, they are made for the street. We have to keep all original (or close to) parts to race in our series and the DBA product stands up alot better than the original discs.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:27 PM
apsilon

No, I believe you, just stating my experience with them. For the record I bought them ~6 months ago and they weren't the 4000 series just the longlife slotted but that's irrelevent IMO. Discs should not arrive warped no matter what model they are.

As for the disclaimer I understand it's standard and required but I've seen numerous cases of the long life gold drilled rotors that have suffered major cracking and I maintain my opinion that these are not performance parts despite many retailers and the product appearence giving that impression to uneducated buyers.

The 4000 series is obviously a different product aimed at a different market segment and may be a great product but I'm still cautious of DBA products based on what I've seen so far.

As for GTP I'm very familiar with it, I used to do parts development and reliability testing for a small team back in the days of the Bathurst 12 hour.

BTW are these rotors available for the Track and Touring? What's the RRP?
Old 04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with both of you. The 5000 series I have heard good reports about them but must agree with the DBA Gold series which had numerous reports about failures just in the WRX scene.

About the 4000 series though, I have not heard much about it.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:24 PM
dbasteve

If this is true then where are these warped/cracked discs?

Why is it that when ever I here about warped discs it involves EBC Greenstuff and only EBC Green stuff?
Why does the MD of EBC Australia carry a disc grinder in the boot of his car to remove pad material deposits from disc rotors that have apparently warped.

Thankyou!

Last edited by dbasteve; 04-02-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:56 PM
apsilon

Steve,

My warped discs or DBA ones in general? If referring to mine if you read my initial post you'll see that I had them turned and haven't had a problem since. Believe me they arrived warped, unless you want me to believe that the EBC pads warped them in the 20m drive out of the workshop around the round about and back into the workshop to work out what was wrong.

If referring to the cracked ones check any car forum in Australia and you'll find numerous reports of drilled gold longlifes cracking. I'll agree with you that some of those have been abused (ie used on track days) but in many cases they have not. I'm also sure you'll agree that the gold and standard longlife are not intended for track use and therefore are not a "performance" product.

As for the EBC pads I've had no deposits from them what so ever and in fact that's the first I've heard of them leaving deposits. Their claim of being low dust is absolute BS, they're the dustiest pad I've ever used, but otherwise they're fine. BTW I'm referring to the greens. I only use my car on the street and have no need for anything more.

Just to clarify again, I'm referring to longlife slotted in my case and the gold longlife drilled for the cracking incidents. I have no experience with your 4000 and 5000 range of products.

I won't even comment on your brake shudder comment.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:14 PM
dbasteve

O.K I shouldn't have fired you up with the shudder comment.

Yes, Cross drilled rotors are not intended for track use. The term performance product is used for street use. A motor sport product is intented for track use. The incidents of cracked cross drilled discs on the street is very rare.
I do find it very difficult to beleive a disc was warped before being fitted. This is not the nature of the process at all. I spend a great deal of my time studying the metallurgy and physics of disc brakes and it doesn't make sense.
The only possibility that I would understand is if the discs were fitted with a foreign body between the mounting face and hub causing runout or if the wheel nuts were over tightened with a rattle gun causing distortion. These are very real scenarios that do happen.

The 4000 and 5000 series discs are treated for high temperature applications and can confidently be used in track sessions.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:20 PM
dbasteve

I removed the comment. A bit harsh for my first day.

ebc+warped rotors

Stoptech paper Warped rotors
Old 04-03-2003, 12:59 AM
apsilon

I question the use of the term "performance product" when they're only suited to normal street use. DBA are definitely not the only ones guilty of this however, rather it's the norm. A lot of people like to think they're a race driver and companies are just marketing to them which I suppose I can't really blame them for.

You find it difficult to believe the disc was warped before fitting and so did I. I spent a lot of time going over things before actually checking the disc. If I'd had the time I would've returned them but I didn't so I just skimmed them. They were definitely fitted correctly the first time and the only time I use a rattle gun is on my 28 year old Land Rover to budge bolts that haven't been removed in years if ever.

Fair enough maybe it's not a good indication of normal DBA quality but for me it represents 100% and I believe that people should be aware of my experiences. I can make no claim that all DBA products will exhibit this fault but in my case it did.

I'm the first to post positive comments on a good product when I find one and I'm certainly all for supporting Australian products. At the same time I'll post an honest review of negative experiences with products as well. I think that's a fair policy.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:05 AM
dbasteve

No problem!
About 5 years ago the term "sport product" was thrown around too. Once again very misleading.
I all honesty sometimes the best product is not always the most expensive one. Drilled rotors look great and cost more to manufacture but the slotted rotors are the brutes that can take a flogging.

I have no hesitation in calling the 4000 series and 5000 series disc rotors a Performance product. They are tested on race cars in full racing conditions.