Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Just drove new RX8

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 08:13 PM
ZEXC-33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Just drove new RX8

Hi guys,

What just ended an hour ago was my home demo of a new RX8. The car arrived at 9am and got me out bed, but for the chance to cane a car thats not mine, i immediately gained the energy to get dressed. I know some of ur opinions may b a bit biased with the RX8 being a Z rival and all, so here's my unbiased review LOL

This RX8 was the dark grey with all black leather, a manual. The car does look slick in person. U couldnt really c the rear door shutlines on the dark color, and it just looks very fresh and alot more detailed than the Z. The headlights and tail lights r nicely detailed, not over the top like the 6. The only things i didnt like was the nasty location of front numberplate, and the rear seems like someones kicked it up the butt.

Opened the door, sat inside, and the interior is good quality, same as Z. Its more detailed, but a bit clumsy and messy, specially the centre console with all these circles and a deck thatd give me nightmares trying to replace. The dials light up like those in the SL55, with the light blue, then turn red when u turn the headlights on, very nice and super exotic. There r a few details like the silver on the transmission tunnel and huge plastic piece on the back of the seats that wont hold up to everyday use. And the Rotary theme is overkill inside.

This is first time ive ever driven a rotary. It started with a whir, and sounded like a washing machine when i revved it up. Into 1st and u notice the engine is soooo free revving. Its slow to move from 1000rpm to 3000rpm, but from there with the same amount of travel on accelerator pedal, the needle just flies right up to 6000rpm and the power starts to build. I read in Motor, etc, that theres ample power in low rev range, but in all honesty, ud have to ring this thing to about 6000rpm to keep up with the flow of traffic, but then being a rotary it gets to 6000rpm very quickly without u noticing most of the time since its so quiet. Its only at about 7000rpm onwards u start to here the exhaust note inside.

Onto the snaky roads up Eltham way, and it feels very light and steering is very smooth and repsonsive. Feels alot lighter and more able to change direction quickly than the Z. Its almost as flickable as my 156, but where my 156 just goes around the corner, the tail was starting to step out.....ohhhh how i cant wait for a RWD!!! Brakes r normal fair, clutch is nice and light and gears r very snick snick.

But in the end it was a bit of an anti-climax. I was expecting some revolutionary driving experience from a rotary engine, and its just like a more peaky Honda Vtec engine, without the coarseness at high revs. It looks very good in the metal but somewhat boring to drive, its more a sports car in the essence that a 3series sedan is a sports car. Excellent grip, good turn in, but not all that fun. The Z feels alot heavier to drive and hustle, but its firmer, feels tighter, and a bit more rewarding. Then again none of that means nething these days with the speed limits, but its still nice to know u have a proper sports car underneath. The RX8 is the compromise between a cushy soft 4 seater and a hard edged coupe.

After the Mazda dude left, i talked with my dad about it, and he didnt think it was a big deal. He told me not to bother, that i was crazy to consider selling my Alfa for the RX8, and that he'd rather buy me something like a Z4. So we've asked BMW to source a 3.0L SMG to test drive. Im also hanging to c the Z convertible in person. On the Nissan Aus website, the pics of the Z were taken in Melb, so i know there's a silver one floating around. Ive asked a few Nissan dealers to try and find out, but they show nowhere near the professionalism or ingenuity of the BMW dealers

In conclusion....feel like im writin an essay.....the RX8 is a competitor for the Z only on price. After driving it, i doubt ppl will cross shop the two. The Z is more compromised and a truer sports car, where the RX8 is the safe choice for the middle aged family man who still wants small time kicks driving to the in-laws.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:50 PM
zuffy

nice review...thnx!

guess i won't be asking for a test drive any time soon ...
Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just drove new RX8

im a bit delayed... Nice write up.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Z350Lover

nice write up Sam!!! Good to see you back here again!!! I am actually paying great attention on all the RX-8 write up on the magazine and even go to rx-8forum pretty often to check that car up.... because I might want to get one for my better half if my financial condition is allowed at the end of this year... really love the car as well, especially with the Mazdaspeed kits on!

Those three cars are all fun to drive I believe, I think at the end, it will all come down to what you and your dad prefer... once again. choose what you love and love what you choose mate!

speak to you soon and if you want to reach me, my mobile phone # is still the same!

cheers,

richie
Old 02-02-2004, 07:02 PM
harryw

Richie, without stating the obvious, the post by Sam was done back in July?????????????/

As always

H
Old 02-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Z350Lover

damn it... thought he came back to visit us... hahaha... anyway... it was a great write up that I missed out....

Thanks Harry!

cheers,

richie