Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Anyone tracked their 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 04:03 PM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's certainly possible on my manual track model.

Are you saying that on your Track (manual) model you can brake and accelerate at the same time? If so, then that is good news.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:05 PM
lionking

Ok- was curious so just went for a test drive. I've got an auto and tried braking and accelerating (bit of an oxymoron) in auto mode, manual mode, with and without TC engaged. And the answer is.........

Throttle keeps goin'.

At first it was hard to tell if the trottle was pullin' back or if it was the brakes holding back the engine. It definately was NOT cutting out all together. But once I got to higher revs the engine pulled right through the brakes. Yea, braking doesn't seem to affect the engine at all.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Lateapex

The situation may be different with the automatic, but manual-trans cars will not allow left-foot braking with any kind of 'overlap', i.e., trail-braking. At my Z's maiden autocross, I thought something was wrong with the car, because it was dead coming off the turns. I was quite dismayed. Fortunately, Lotusboy was there and he came over to me after my first run...

Him: "You left-foot brake, don't you?"
Me: "Yes, why?"
Him: "Does the car lose power exiting the runs?"
Me: (hope beginning to spring) "Yeah!"
Him: 'Knowledgeable explanation of the built-in "safety feature", including the fact that when it happens, engine power is reduced to 30%.'

Now -- as part of my autocross preparation -- I separate the tail-light circuit connector on the brake pedal support assembly, which interrupts the 'brake-on' signal to the computer and allows me free use of the brakes. However, according to Lotusboy, the open circuit will generate an error signal after an unknown (he thinks 20 minutes) period of continuous vehicle operation. So, I reconnect before I head for home (need the tail-lights, anyway). No grief thus far.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:31 PM
lionking

Well I guess that sounds like that might be about right for the auto too. I wasn't sure at first if the throttle was pullin' back or if it was just the brakes slowin the car down. Seemed like more than 30% power though but hard to tell - especially in the lower torque range. Seemed like more power at higher revs.

Thanks Lateapex, will experiment again with that in mind.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:40 PM
DavidM

Can someone with a manual car try this out? I wonder if the Oz spec cars have the same 'feature'?
Old 10-30-2003, 09:53 PM
harryw

David, I had a play around this arvo on the way home from work.

Its quite hard when travelling at speed to give a definite answer but it seemed to me as though the car was working through the braking with no difficulty.

The best way I can think of to disprove the theory is to tell you there is absolutely no problem at when downshifting using heel and toe. The car rev matches very crisply so I cant see why it would retard the motor in a different way if you were just trail braking. With the same logic applied, you wouldnt be able to sit in the car at a standstill and rev the car with your foot on the brake.

I could be wrong but braking doesnt seem to retard the motor to me.

Now with saying all that why can't you just talk to your freindly local nissan guy?

As always

H

Last edited by harryw; 10-30-2003 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:06 PM
DavidM

The car rev matches very crisply so I cant see why it would retard the motor in a different way if you were just trail braking.

Yes, you are correct ... I forgot that I heel&toe all the time and driven a couple 350Zs without a problem.

With the same logic applied, you wouldnt be able to sit in the car at a standstill and rev the car with your foot on the brake.

You would think so ... unless the car knows that the gear is engaged.

Last edited by DavidM; 10-31-2003 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 PM
apsilon

Originally posted by DavidM@home
With the same logic applied, you wouldnt be able to sit in the car at a standstill and rev the car with your foot on the brake.

You would think so ... unless the car kows that the gear is engaged.
I believe it does know when it's in gear. I remember Nathan saying to check the throttle opening (this was during the 100% throttle thing) remove the intake tube, have the ignition to acc, car in gear and press the pedal to the floor. If it wasn't in gear the throttle wouldn't move. Never verified this myself but I tend to believe him.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:08 PM
harryw

Allow to me to clarify, I was sitting with the car in gear and braking and blipping the throttle.

The only thing that might be in place is some sort of sensor for the clutch pedal?? This is all purely speculation on my part though.

As always

H
Old 10-31-2003, 09:24 AM
Lateapex

A heel-and-toe exercise wouldn't be tha t good a test, because of the clutch-pedal involvement. I suggest a very aggressive pass down your favorite 2nd or 3rd-gear twisties, left-foot braking along the way (if you are comfortable with it, of course).

Ultimately, it seems only to be an issue for that small group of drivers who 1) compete in events where very little shifting is required, AND 2) left-foot brake.

It is certainly possible that the North American versions are different (Lotusboy thinks Nissan are concerned about the "Audi-unintended acceleration effect"), which wold be nice for y'all.