Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Tyres quealling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:28 PM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres squealling?

Hey guys, just wondering if you guys are getting a lot of squealling from the tyres. I normally get a lot of tyre squeal when I'm pushing the car hard around corners. I get it from the front as well as back.

Though, for the last week I've had the windows down all the time, and have been noticing the tyres sqealling even at very low speeds when going around corners...in particular tight corners or u-turns. Around the tight corners the tyre-squeal is coming from the rear tyres, but this is when going pretty slowly as well as not applying any power (or minimal power). I've also heard the tyre-squeal from the front sometimes at these kind of speeds/situations.

As it is I'm always looking in my mirrors looking for a car that is about to ramm me up the **** as I think it's overdoing the corner that I'm in, but there's never anyone there and that tyre-sqeal is coming from my car. So just wondering if other people have the same thing happening?

ps. my car/tyres have only 2000km on it at the moment so maybe it's to do with the tyres being still new (ie. tall thread blocks)? I doubt it's my tyre pressures as I have them at 33/37psi cold (front/back) and the tyres are not folding/bending even when pushing hard. So is this odd, or a normal characteristic of RE040 tyres? I am used to S02s, P-Zeros and the like.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:58 PM
apsilon

Only time I've had squealing is on the track. Certainly not at low speeds. Seems odd to me. AFAIK the only things that would cause it at low speed are low pressures or really bad alignment but as you just had an alignment and are sure about your pressures I don't know what the cause may be.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:50 PM
zuff

Same here.

The only place i've ever got tyre squeal was at the track doing 100km/h corners and the likes.

I've taken some fast tight turns around Pittwater rd in my area and never felt any loss of traction whatsoever.

I've heard of the alignment going out by hitting a pot-hole or something similar. If you read the suspension forums it seems pretty clear that you need to align the 350z at every service.

The other alternative idea is that you may have run over some oil at some point. But this would mean that the issue would be temporary. Unless you share the driveway with a big oil slick.

Let us know what you find.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:10 AM
DavidM

I was trying to observe this today and for the earlier part of the day (ie. before 4pm) and I did not hear any tyre-sqeal at all ... that is unless I took a corner at close to the limit (or applied a lot of power). Though, in the later afternoon, and even evening, the tyres started squealing again here and there. It does not do it every time, but there are occasions where I am not trying hard at all (ie. going pretty slowly) and I hear a sqeal. It happened at one stage when I was turning right into a main street. I was stopped and once the road was clear I took off and turned right reasonably gently and the inside rear tyre was squeeling .... it sounded just like sneakers on a basketball-court.

Last edited by DavidM; 12-29-2003 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:23 AM
bev

The only squealing I have heard is when I am doing a run on a tight mountain road near Cairns. In corners where I cross the outter lane white line where the load is coming off the passenger side front I get a squeal when I cross and when coming back. Having said that other cars I have driven in the same situation have squealed more then the Z does. Even with its higher cornering speed.

Bev
Old 12-30-2003, 03:51 AM
KY350

This sounds unusual David. I suggest that you get together with another Z owner in Melb and drive each car at predetermined speeds that induce the squeel in your car to see if it happens on the other Z also.
With my window down, I noticed increased tyre noise when I drive quickly through a roundabout and change direction quickly, but no squeel.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:40 AM
hisashiburi

i know some cars can get small amounts of tire squeal during low speed manurers if they have tightly set LSD's (Skyline GT-R's for example get tyre squeal when doing U-turns i hear)

But the likelihood of your differentials being out isn?ft very high IMO... my guess would be that you simply need a wheel alignment.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:47 AM
frosty

Yeah' David, I get a bit of squeal at times - usually on smoother surfaces and at acute steering angles.

Suggest you get an alignment - if its out - and many are - you'll be a candidate for the dreaded feathering issue. And Nisshit will toll you to go jump.They are in denial re their suspension/handling shortcomings.

FROZTY
Old 01-02-2004, 04:44 PM
zuff

Nisshits suspension is pretty good at over 100km/h but who rides a daily driver at 100Ks all day.

Funny enough my car doesn't bounce much any more. If anything that was my main gripe.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:22 PM
ZZZ-35

Frozty

It seems that there are many of us with the dreaded feathering ie radial cuping on the front tyres, there is a TSB in the US which they (Nisshit) must be a where of. Why don't we get a partition/letter together and all sign it who have the problem, they must not be allowed to get away with this major issue the Bose system, drivers door rattle, grease on windows etc, I can live with all these minjor probs but not something major like suspension on a sports car. Maybe a letter to a major motor mags stating that the Zed chews front tyres would get some action.

David

Last edited by ZZZ-35; 01-02-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:02 PM
harryw

David, IMO the problem we will have is there is not enough of us for Nissan to take notice.

If you look at the Oz forum there are probably only, at the most, a dozen regular contributors. I, currently, dont have the fethering issue but I would be more than happy to put my name on anything.

And, as quite a few have already stated Nissan don't seem to give a flying fark anyway!

I'm with you, I can put up with all the little things, BUT, if it's a major component then that's another story.

Like you say though, a group letter to the major mags might be a start. Especially if we get them to look at all the ***** that has been going on in the states.

As always

H
Old 01-03-2004, 02:00 PM
frosty

I'm t h i n k i n g . . . .

Something needs to be done!

Has anyone had a GOOD experience with Nisshit warranty?

Latest for me -
subject to my very public outburst at the Sydney motor show (only had a 2nd hand z on display) Klosters had my car for a day - took it to the local BRIDGESTONE (hereafter to be known as BRIDGESHIT) agent - his comment as reported to me was "these tyres are fu***d anyway and need replacing).
They've got 18000 k's and will go another 40000 - even Bridgeshit say they should make 40-60000k. And they did on the STI without feathering also.
So now it's down to the legals - but it all leaves a nasty taste in one's mouth!

Subaru replaced my diff @ 75000k and 15 months out of warranty.

Pox to Nisshit!

Anybody happy with N******? (Gettin' angrier by the minute!)

FROZTY
Old 01-03-2004, 03:47 PM
DavidM

They've got 18000 k's and will go another 40000 - even Bridgeshit say they should make 40-60000k

Do you guys expect 40,000 - 60,000k km out of your tyres on the Zed? If so, I don't think that is realistic. I'm expecting around 20,000km out of mine. On the S2000, depending on the brand/type, the tyres lasted me anywhere beteen 13,000 and 25,000km. On the HSV (with my father driving), they last between 25,000 and 35,000km depending on the brand/type. Even when I had MR2 good 5 years ago, I had to replace the rear tyres every 20,000 - 30,000km.

I'm sure that 'easier' driving should see more life out of tyres, but I'd say that anyone who gets more than 30,000km out of their tyres on the Zed is doing incredibly well.

ps. I don't have any 'unusual' weak on my tyres yet, but we're talking about 2,500km only so far.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:30 PM
lionking

I've got 23k on the clock and the tyres are still lookin' very healthy. I would not consider myself an "easy" driver. I'm actually very pleasantly surprised at the amount of life I'm gettin' out of them. I rarely use the the traction control so I get a lot of wheelspin in the back - I'm not sure why but they're showing very little wear. Even the fronts look like they could go another 23k. I would have been happy with 30k but the way they are goin it's lookin' more like 40k-50k.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:58 PM
DavidM

I've got 23k on the clock and the tyres are still lookin' very healthy. I would not consider myself an "easy" driver.

Yeah, I've seen your tyres and they do look in a great shape .... I would have not guessed that you have 10k km on them. Not sure how you do that, but I'll be thankfull if I see 25k out of mine before they're totally bold.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:36 PM
zuff

I'm happy to put my name down for a letter to nissan. They have many problems with the 350z that have been acknowledged in the US and our cars are not that different to theirs.

I can say i'd be very surprised to see 30k out of my tyres and 40-60k is a miracle in 350z terms.

Time will tell as more people get pi$$3d off at Nissan Oz and eventualy something will give. Even if that means just better customer service.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:40 AM
provo

I got about 18,500km out of my rear tyres. Fronts have been wearing unevenly. Had to have them changed to opposite rims to eliminat tyre noise - looks like the fronts will need replacement in another 2 months (4000 to 5000km) which will mean I've got about 25000 to 26000 from the fron tyres.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:26 PM
frosty

Just a note of qualification re my seemingly exaggerated mileage claims - I do a LOT of straightline x-pressway travel on a daily basis - the car is just singing along on the aoto pilot - not exactly condusive to tyre wear.

Anybody with a Touring interested in my 18" rims sometime down the track?

Congratulations to Richie - no mean accomplishment when you look at the numbers in the opposition!

BTW, what's the deal on the 350evo throttle body?

(MELTED) frozty
Old 01-05-2004, 12:47 AM
frosty

An american site that bears out our evidence of complaints - a Government initiative that is very interesting.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm

fried FROZTY - yeah - it's been fuggen 'ot up 'ere last coupla days!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:13 PM
lionking

Hey frosty,
Keep me posted about the wheels. Was thinkin about buyin Richies old ones but missed out.

lk

Quick Reply: Tyres quealling?