Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:27 PM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MR RIZK
So will the UNICHIP be spliced or a Y harness ?
It's possible to do either way...............though the plug in harness will add approx $400 to the install..........would be interesting to hear your views on the additional cost for the plug in harness.

Thanks

Peter
Old 07-14-2004, 01:42 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way I would pay that for the plug and I do realise whats involved, but if its an option then at least people cbose that if they want it.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:32 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by mchapman
There is no way I would pay that for the plug and I do realise whats involved, but if its an option then at least people cbose that if they want it.
Thanks for your reply though the plug in harness won't be an option..............I need a clear answer one way or the other from you guys...........Its either the plug in harness at an additional $400 or the current wire in procedure.

I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys.

Thanks

Peter
Old 07-14-2004, 02:36 AM
apsilon

IMO people would be better of getting the splice in version and then buying an extension harness if they don't want to splice their factory harness.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:15 AM
mchapman

I think I saw somewhere that getting plug-in ecu mods are risky and you should solder them in properly to avoid these risks. Risks of the cables not making full connection etc.

I can barely remember but it was something along these lines. Anyone else heard similar?
Old 07-14-2004, 03:18 AM
apsilon

You're probably thinking of crimping the splices. IMO they should be soldered.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:21 AM
mchapman

Yeah that sounds right!

Agreed.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:06 AM
MR RIZK

Peter,

Personally I would rather a Y-Plug but believe AU$400 is a bit steep when a HKS FCON harness can be had around the AU$200 - AU$250 mark.

I would be pay $250 for the harness depending on quality but if I had 15k to spend on a TT kit then I could probally afford $400 on one
Old 07-14-2004, 04:09 AM
APS
Banned

Hey guys did another Unichip installation for a Melbourne forum member yesterday and the power results are very positive.

Interesting that the car with so called high flow cats and Japanese cat back exhaust system just managed to make 160 RWkW's

With Unichip tuning we managed to squeeze an additional 7 kW's of power and importantly the torque was also improved across the entire RPM range...........spoke with the customer today he is very impressed with the overall improvement. I'm very happy with all of the testing to date and the customer feedback is very postive.

Peter

APS
Old 07-14-2004, 04:15 AM
KY350

Ypwpat - Looking forward to your assesment once you've got a few km on the car.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 AM
ypwpat

Originally posted by APS
Hey guys did another Unichip installation for a Melbourne forum member yesterday and the power results are very positive.

Interesting that the car with so called high flow cats and Japanese cat back exhaust system just managed to make 160 RWkW's

With Unichip tuning we managed to squeeze an additional 7 kW's of power and importantly the torque was also improved across the entire RPM range...........spoke with the customer today he is very impressed with the overall improvement. I'm very happy with all of the testing to date and the customer feedback is very postive.

Peter

APS
Peter, whose car is this? Is this Z350lover?

Cheers
Yun
Old 07-14-2004, 03:03 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by ypwpat
Peter, whose car is this? Is this Z350lover?

Cheers
Yun
Yeah I believe so though I would rather let the owner post when he is ready to do so.

Thanks

Peter
Old 07-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Z350Lover

THanks Peter!

And yes.... the person that Peter mentioned earlier was ME....

I cannot believe how much power and the feeling that Unichip adds to the car... I put my cats on around 3 days prior to the Unichip installation, and the feeling was NIIIICE!!! I was like... wow.... this car is alive and am thinking how much will Unichip add on top of that as I can feel heaps of torque from 2000prm+ all the way up to the redline...

So on Tuesday morning, this was the first time that I got to meet Peter, he is really a gentleman who knows heaps about cars and is very knowledgeable on what he is providing. You guys should see two modified subaru engines in the customer lounge, those two are beautifully setup with all the APS kits (regreted that I did not get a STi by then, else I could have this pretty setup in the engine bay and also saw his 2.5L STi, I think that's the 2.5L US spec with Central Diff control unit installed)...

Anyway... back to the topic on the Unichip... The installation took about 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs to complete, when the tunning is finished, Peter asked me to test drive it around unichip headquarter before I went back to work... When I started up the engine, the idle is just like what it always was. When I got into the 1st gear moving slowly out of the drive way, already felt that the throttle is a bit lighter and when the street was clear, I just simply gunned the car.... immediately after doing so, I was like.... woooooow..... the car has got even more torque than before and it is VERY easy to break the traction in first and my car was like sliding slightly, so I knew I better learn how to control this finally-unleashed machine before I push it further.

After about 5 minutes of drive to get myself into what this machine can do, I started to test the overtaking ability at the higher gears.... I don't think you can believe what I am saying here as the car can keep on pulling if the rpm is at 2500rpm in any gear! because the torque has become VERY VERY VERY linear... when I compared my torque curve with david's torque curve, can see the benefit of adding catalistic converters before the unichip has been installed as my car has slightly higher torque (I don't really care about the power figure, all I need is torque for better pull), and unichip added about 20N of torque across the entire RPM range...

And guess what?! I was late for work today.... 30 mins late.... because I took this baby out for a drive... just cannot stop myself from driving the car now!!!!

I am sure this is the product that really is worth any penny that you spend!!! Wait until I put more Kms and will give more feedback again....

Peter (APS):

Do you think the car is still learning on how to cope with the new catalistics I installed? Although I got those installed it on Saturday, I didn't get to drive much on Sunday (but only on whole day saturday and monday night) as I went to Mornington for a mini-get away from the city holiday...

And if you guys wanna see the Power Curve, I will only be able to do that tomorrow as I don't have it with me at work... or Peter can post the power curve here!

cheers,

richie
Old 07-14-2004, 05:14 PM
ZZZ-35

Nice write up Richie, don't you just love the way it pulls in 5th & 6th now. Interesting that your combination Nismo exhaust and the Crawford Hiflow Cats made 160kW, which is around the same as just the HiTech and DavidM car, how do the Cats sound like any raspy sound.

David
Old 07-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Z350Lover

david:

There is no raspy sound at all with the crawford cats... I guess nismo exhaust out put will be just similar to the hi-tech exhaust as what Peter told me the cats will not actually add too much HP at the wheel (roughly around 1 to 2 kw max at the peak rpm), but what I love is the torque from it..... and with the Unichip, both of them toally unleashed the car...

cheers,

richie
Old 07-14-2004, 06:31 PM
mchapman

Other high flow cats have been dyno'd here to give a 6kw gain. So i'd say the Nismo gains are smaller than the HiTech. If you gave David high flow cats(6kw) and a Unichip(~9kw) his score could possibly be around ~175kw.

Last edited by mchapman; 07-14-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Z350Lover

Murray,

I think you are referring to the RT cats, right? RT cats does give a lot higher rear wheel HP than crawford's due to its near-test-pipe high flow ability... so I doubt my crawford will be able to perform that number at all.... therefore, if David has the crawford installed, it will be somewhere around my car's figure I would believe.

I would say all the exhaust would give out around the same HP gain no matter it is the japanese model or the local model because I used to have hi-tech on my car too and the feeling on the gain is exactly the same (also see Aps's amuse figure, the gain is similar to hi-tech too).

cheers,

richie

EDIT:

Also bare in mind that I have JUN flywheel and the UR pulley set too, and all the sellers of these products claim that they do gain extra HP at the high end, but I doubt so and don't feel like so, they both just give better revving ability/throttle response in 1st and 2nd gears, that's all I can feel... Plus we cannot just add up all the individual HP gain figure of each individual parts to predict for the final HP figure... otherwise my stock car dyno would need to be said to be around 140kw....

Last edited by Z350Lover; 07-14-2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:55 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by Z350Lover

Peter (APS):

Do you think the car is still learning on how to cope with the new catalistics I installed? Although I got those installed it on Saturday, I didn't get to drive much on Sunday (but only on whole day saturday and monday night) as I went to Mornington for a mini-get away from the city holiday...

And if you guys wanna see the Power Curve, I will only be able to do that tomorrow as I don't have it with me at work... or Peter can post the power curve here!

cheers,

richie
Hi richie, excellent to hear that your impressed with the Unichip computer and dyno tuning work conducted at APS and thanks also for the opportunity to unichip your Z car,your feedback is very important to APS.

Mate I don't believe that bigger cats will produce any real additional power at around the stock power level (200 flywheel kw's), APS will test a number of larger cats over the next month and I will have a good deal of data which will prove this one way or another, will let you know more when I have conclusive data.

Again thanks for your help and it was great to meet you..........hope you really enjoy your new found power.

Peter

APS
Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 PM
mchapman

I think you are referring to the RT cats, right? RT cats does give a lot higher rear wheel HP than crawford's due to its near-test-pipe high flow ability... so I doubt my crawford will be able to perform that number at all.... therefore, if David has the crawford installed, it will be somewhere around my car's figure I would believe.

At the moment DavidM has 160rwkw on the APS dyno with nothing but a HiTech exhaust. I would think that any hi flow cats could get at least a few more kws.

I would say all the exhaust would give out around the same HP gain no matter it is the japanese model or the local model because I used to have hi-tech on my car too and the feeling on the gain is exactly the same (also see Aps's amuse figure, the gain is similar to hi-tech too).

I agree with this to a certain extent. Not every exhaust out there will get the same gains. But any non HiTech local one wouldnt get near the gains and some US, Japanese ones are dodgey.

A 3kw difference by itself isnt much but 3kw difference between two models is alot, the APS Exhaust can get 3kw more than the HiTech and if others got less than a HiTech then theres a possible noticable difference between the models.

Also bare in mind that I have JUN flywheel and the UR pulley set too, and all the sellers of these products claim that they do gain extra HP at the high end, but I doubt so and don't feel like so, they both just give better revving ability/throttle response in 1st and 2nd gears, that's all I can feel...

I would think that your power figure is a bit on the low side then. I wonder if anything in your setup is having a negative effect on the numbers? Probabally not as you dont have anything that I can see that would be causing it. Is yours an Auto?

Plus we cannot just add up all the individual HP gain figure of each individual parts to predict for the final HP figure...

Am aware of this thats why I use words like around and the ~ symbol to let people know to take it with a grain of salt. The mods do make gains so we can assign ruff numbers.

otherwise my stock car dyno would need to be said to be around 140kw....

Havnt others returned 140rwkw stock in melbourne?

Last edited by mchapman; 07-14-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Z350Lover

Murray:

Mine is a manual version, not the auto zed... probably there is something which isn't right about the overall setup... or probably the cats are not run in yet because before the Unichip, I only put about 50km max on the car before I left for the mini-holidays!

Actually, I am not aware of that anyone got 140rwkw from the APS dyno though.... I might have missed it, but if that's from different dyno machine, I don't think it can be counted in this case though.

Come to think about it, Hi-tech has different design at the Y-pipe section than most of the Japanese brands, so that might be the reason of some extra peak KW.... I will scan the power curve and post it up tonight, so people can actually compare both curves...

cheers,

richie

Quick Reply: UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains