Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:11 PM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z350Lover
APS:

Probably that's what concerned you the most, and if I were you, I would have done the same thing seriously! Just the cost/earning calculation to most of the business men...

cheers,

richie
Thanks for your thoughts..............it's a very complex issue.............and I sincerely hope we can release the APS TT system in Australia...............bottom line it has to meet ADR 79/00 emission standards.............. and the cost of conducting these emission tests in not inexpensive...............the sales have to be there in real numbers to make this commercially viable.

Thanks

Peter
Old 06-30-2004, 06:37 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by KY350
Peter - it would be a real pity if APS does not offer its TT in Oz. I realise that volume of sales in Aust would be flyshit compared to the US.

Current TT systems for the Z appear to be the $35-45K set up from Nizpro. I doubt they will ever get to double figure sales of TT systems at those prices.

It appears that APS has judged the Aussie market best by only offering a bolt on solution that leaves the internals untouched. If you cannot sell a reasonable number of systems at the prices you previously estimated, then I'm affraid no vendor will have any success with TT sales in Aust. I hope that is not the case.

Also, isn't the APS TT a universal system, designed to fit the RHD US spec cars and LHD Aust spec cars? If that is the case, then there would not be any further R&D costs for Aussie cars, making selling of the TT here a no brainer. Please correct me if I am wrong as it is difficult to fully appreciate the intricasies of running a business like yours, as an outsider.
Thanks for you input...........and I agree it would be a real pity if the system was not to be released in Australia...............our home base.

Yeah I believe your correct..............would not be many Z owners who would consider spending 35 to 45k on a TT and engine upgrade.............to be frank I think this could be achieved for much less than the above figure..............even including a strong twin plate clutch.

Yes that is our intention................to design a TT system that would be a reliable day to day drive...............without the need for upgrading engine internals..............I believe we have achieved this target..............though the up front cost the owner will need to part with will be approx 15K...............not a small amount of $$$$..............though the TT does provide awesome performance..............puts a smile on my face every day.

Yes you are correct.............the APS TT system was designed to fit both left hand drive and right hand drive models............that's what made the TT development such a large engineering project.

There are marketing and engineering costs (Australian Design Rules) which need to be considered prior to entering any new market..............Gee I wish all we had to organise the development..............this is the real fun part of the project..............the rest is bloody hard work.

Regards

Peter
Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by DavidM
Hey Peter,
Afterall, a 911 TT, which runs 1.2bar on a 3.6L engine can manage 'only' 309kW. Something just does not add up for me (or I just don't undrtand this). From what I gather 0.7bar should produce (around) extra 40% of power ... that 'should' put the TT Zed at around 290kW at the crank (and more like 215kW on your dyno). So what am I missing here? I'm not disputing your claim at all ... just trying to understand it.

Mate not sure where you got the turbo pressure figures from for the Porsche TT (the 1.2 bar pressure figure is wrong) I have owned a number of TT porsches and I have accurate data on the turbo pressure ............... the 996/911 TT makes 309kW of power though the turbo pressure at peak power is approx 0.40 to 0.45 bar not 1.2 bar turbo pressure.

The 996/911 Porsche TT does produce max boost pressure of 0.8 bar in the mid rpm range (for awesome torque) though the turbo pressure is mapped by the factory computer and the turbo presure is reduced to 0.45 bar at peak power (309kW).

Now to your other question regarding the Z power.With turbo charging the high power is generated by air and fuel combusted efficiently............and turbo charger mass air flow is rated in lbs of air per minute (not CFM as most Americans think).

The general rule of thumb is this.............1 lb per minute of mass air flow will support approx 10 horsepower................so if you want to produce say 309kw's of power (414hp) you would need approx 41lbs per minute of mass air flow to support this power level EG 41.4 by 10 = 414 HP.

So the main issue to understand regarding turbocharging and power levels is you need to understand what mass air flow there is at the specified turbo pressure.

On the Z engine to produce say 414 HP you would need 41.4 lbs per minute mass air flow............(regardless of the turbo pressure) you could have a single massive turbo which supplies 41.4 lbs per minute of mass air flow at say 5 PSI or 2 small turbos which supply 41.4 lbs of mass air flow at 9 PSI...........you see it's not the pressure that counts ............it's the amount of mass air flow, hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

APS
Old 06-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Z350Lover

thanks for clearing this up for me and probably many of us here!!! Now I really get to know how they count the number of bars and what that really means!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by Nathan
If it will pass CARB (California Air Resources Board) it will pass the ADR Emission test.
That's 100% correct though APS still needs to do ADR 79/00 emission testing in Australia (the F.O.R.S does not accept emission test data from the US) which is very expensive and a major consideration in selling the TT system in Australia.

Peter

APS
Old 07-01-2004, 12:27 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

911 Turbo has 0.8bar as I stated earlier.

"A maximum boost pressure of 0.8 bar is available from as low as 2,700 rpm."

http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/...eturbocharging

*** EDIT: Missed the mention of 0.8bar in APS/Peter's post. ***

Last edited by mchapman; 07-01-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:38 AM
DavidM

Thanks, I was just going form memory ... 0.8bar it is. I wonder what it is for GT2 (maybe that's where I gotr the 1.2 from?!)

you see it's not the pressure that counts ............it's the amount of mass air flow, hope this helps.

Thanks Peter, that was very usefull again. I'm not really that 'literate' with turbo technology, so it's good to find out how these things work.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:45 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by mchapman

That's correct though the 0.8 bar tapers off to approx 0.45 bar in the higher rpm range (at peak power) APS has tuned many (993 and 996) TT porsches and this is excactly how the turbo pressure is delivered from the Porsche factory.

Peter

APS
Old 07-01-2004, 01:12 AM
mchapman

Originally posted by APS
That's correct though the 0.8 bar tapers off to approx 0.45 bar in the higher rpm range (at peak power) APS has tuned many (993 and 996) TT porsches and this is excactly how the turbo pressure is delivered from the Porsche factory.

Peter

APS

Yep thats cool, I trust what your saying, I was in a hurry and missed where you mentioned the 0.8bar.

We know Porsche are capable of creating a car with extremely high powerlevels but this is a street car... and its interesting to see how they implemented the boost pressure.

Last edited by mchapman; 07-01-2004 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:31 AM
frosty

n interesting exercise might be to work out the cost in $ per kw gain for some of the "trinkets" that are on some of the cars.
ie: CAI, plenum, chips, even H/T, flywheels and so-on.
Do the maths - the TT might be better value relatively speaking than you think.
And yes, no-one wants to buy a car with turbos - ESPECIALLY aftermarket ones! Better to take it off and sell it privately, otherwise the car would be severely devalued in the eyes of a pontential purchaser.

Better than the Stillen - much neater and no bonnet mods -
Attached Thumbnails UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains-350z_uh_lg.jpg  
Old 07-01-2004, 01:43 AM
mchapman

I wonder what it is for GT2 (maybe that's where I gotr the 1.2 from?!)

Maybe, I read a bit on the GT2 ages ago but found this on the on the Web:

The GT2 is RWD, 100kg lighter than 911TT, with +42 hp from 1.0bar of boost.

"Walter Rohrl, who set the official Nurburgring record of 7min 56sec in a GT3, drove the new GT2 and recorded an unofficial 7min 47sec yet he said he could go quicker. It gives you a picture how quick the GT2 is. Unluckily, if you are not a racing driver like Rohrl, you are unlikely to exploit its extra potential. "

Nice.

Last edited by mchapman; 07-01-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by frosty
n interesting exercise might be to work out the cost in $ per kw gain for some of the "trinkets" that are on some of the cars.
ie: CAI, plenum, chips, even H/T, flywheels and so-on.
Do the maths - the TT might be better value relatively speaking than you think.
And yes, no-one wants to buy a car with turbos - ESPECIALLY aftermarket ones! Better to take it off and sell it privately, otherwise the car would be severely devalued in the eyes of a pontential purchaser.

Better than the Stillen - much neater and no bonnet mods -
Yeah only problem is the centrifugal makes no grunt low in the rpm range.............the TT has far superior in performance across the entire rpm range .............have driven a number of Z cars with centrifugal superchargers, the performance is really disappointing.

Peter
Old 07-04-2004, 06:00 PM
APS
Banned

Hey Guys, APS rechecked the power figure on Davids 350Z last friday....... and the power figures were indentical to when the Unichip install and tune was originally completed..........so all is looking good for the Unichip upgrade on the 350Z.

Peter

APS
Old 07-04-2004, 06:19 PM
ZZZ-35

Spot on Peter, a 1000k's and not a problem just a smooth power and torque increases across the whole range, a worth while improvement especially if you have mods. The 10 - 11rwkw equals around 12 - 13kw at the flywheel.

David
Old 07-07-2004, 07:37 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by ZZZ-35
Spot on Peter, a 1000k's and not a problem just a smooth power and torque increases across the whole range, a worth while improvement especially if you have mods. The 10 - 11rwkw equals around 12 - 13kw at the flywheel.

David
David great to hear that your pleased, we have since finished a number of 350 Z cars with the Unichip computer and the power results are also impresive..........won't be long before we release the Unichip computer now.

Peter

APS
Old 07-07-2004, 08:26 PM
zuff

Will there be a group buy?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by APS
won't be long before we release the Unichip computer now.

Peter

APS
So will the UNICHIP be spliced or a Y harness ?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:53 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by zuff
Will there be a group buy?
Well maybe this is possible though I don't know how to can handle this for interstate customers.............pm me if you want to discuss any ideas.

Thanks

Peter
Old 07-08-2004, 06:35 PM
mchapman

Will your normal unichip dealers be trained in using this unichip? Is it the same to tune as the other ones?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:24 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by mchapman
Will your normal unichip dealers be trained in using this unichip? Is it the same to tune as the other ones?
The Unichip for the 350Z is indentical in the tuning software to other Unichips.........so specific dealer training should not be necessary for the 350Z engine.

The 350Z N/A engine is a nice engine to tune....Unichip dealers will be able to achieve the optimum power result quicky and safely without stressing the engine, drivetrain, and tyres.

Thanks

Peter

Quick Reply: UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains