Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:39 PM
zuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're talking about Nathan's race car. Peter found some issue with the sleeve or something. It had nothing to do with the piggyback.
He went to XEDE because he has a custom cam grinde and new head on the car. The SAFC is to basic for his setup in short.

There would be little difference between the Unichip and SAFC except the tuner of course.

And how much would you pay to find a tuner who isn't going to lean out your car because he doesn't want to listen to you about cly5 and 6 running leaner from factory?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:50 PM
REDZED

Originally posted by APS
Not sure what your saying here.

The lambda (o2 sensors) sensors are only intended to trim air fuel mixtures whilst in closed operation (to hold air/fuel mixtures to lambda 1 whilst in cruise conditions) so what happens when you are using throttle positions outside of the closed loop area? The o2 sensors have no input to this condition, that is throttle positions outside of the closed loop area.

Peter

APS
The O2 sensors can read cycle to cycle mixture variations - what I was wondering was - is it was possible for standard engines to be tweaked ( timing cams etc ) and have the O2's do the fuel? I understand the gains would of course be less than a full rework but of course the cost and dyno time would also be lower. In other words - can the short and long term fuel trim correct for other tweaks, without lots of dyno time ? I don't want to do big mods - but if some tweaks were possible this would be great.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:15 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zuff
If you're talking about Nathan's race car. Peter found some issue with the sleeve or something. It had nothing to do with the piggyback.
He went to XEDE because he has a custom cam grinde and new head on the car. The SAFC is to basic for his setup in short.

There would be little difference between the Unichip and SAFC except the tuner of course.
I think its actually the XEDE and the Unichip which are very similar. Peter mentioned that he looked into using the Unichip and the main difference between the two was the way the XEDE replicated the electrical signals more similar to the stock computer. He showed me the chart with the stock signals, XEDE signals and the Unichip signals. The Xede and Stock were the same while the Unichip's was different. He didnt know if this made any difference or not but it was the only thing which seemed different between the two. There might have been other things but he didnt mention them at the time.

He also said he thinks the reason why he cant get replicable power out of the car is because of the ECU. So if the Unichip doesnt address these 'learning/adjusting' issues then its no better at all. And not worth the money over the other solutions.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-24-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:07 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by MR RIZK

Not pointing fingers but as Peter mentioned it is also up to the operator to keep factors consistent. So what guarantee do you have that APS will be consistent either?
Mate the point that the APS dyno produces lower readings for the same model car with the identical MODS demonstrates that we are genuine about measuring power accurately, we take this issue very seriously, that dyno results that are a true reflection of the power generated.

Also I think Peter mentioned timing was not changed. So why not just get a SAFC II ? and save some dough.
I don't know if you are referring to me (peter from APS) though the Unichip does control Ignition timing across all RPM and load sites.

Take a step back and have a look at the target market of these cars. There is not really any reason for us to fudge numbers.
Mate I am not saying that forum Members are fudging dyno results rather I am saying that I feel there are some problems with the way some dyno operators are conducting tests. This is not unique in the 350Z market as we have seen this problem for many years and on many different brands and makes of vehicles. Nor am I saying that operators are doing this purposely. Many just don't know any different.

Peter

APS
Old 06-24-2004, 10:34 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by mchapman
and the main difference between the two was the way the XEDE replicated the electrical signals more similar to the stock computer.
mchapman, this information originated from the US (from a Unichip competitor). Subsequently, we asked the manufacturer of the Unichip product to conduct detailed testing on crank angle sensor signals (on BA Falcon which was the vehicle being discussed at the time) and the way they are replicated by these products.

You may find the following an interesting read as it not only refutes the claims made by the Unichip competitor, but to our surprise, it also demonstrated some serious inadequacies in the signal replication quality of the other brand of product. The manufacturer of the Unichip computer finished by saying "We further invite anyone with an oscilloscope to verify the above statements for themselves." - Pieter de Weerdt - Dastek

http://www.************************/fa...de_signals.htm

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

In finishing, I can assure all 350Z forum members that APS, being the Australian distributor of the Unichip computer has gone to great lengths to test this technology on a number of 350Z cars over many months and many thousands of kms.

This testing was to not only prove the additional engine performance, but to also ensure that the Unichip computer continues to operate in perfect harmony with the factory Nissan ECU and that the whole engine management system is totally glitch-free. This is one of the longest testing periods we have ever conducted for the Unichip product prior to release.

There is a forum member who has been conducting some independent testing on a Unichip enhanced 350Z and with any luck, he may find time to post his impressions to date.

APS is 100% confident in the ability of the Unichip computer to deliver optimum tuning results for the 350Z.

Peter

APS
Old 06-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Flasher

Seeing as the APS dyno is the only accurate dyno in Australia, I called to book a power run and see what the true power output my Z is, only to be told... "we don't offer that service"

So I maintain that my car has .1kw more than a Z with Hitech and unichip
Attached Thumbnails UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains-z-dyno166.jpg  
Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by Flasher
Seeing as the APS dyno is the only accurate dyno in Australia, I called to book a power run and see what the true power output my Z is, only to be told... "we don't offer that service"

Well I'm taking my bat and ball and going home!

I will shut up now.

Peter

APS
Old 06-25-2004, 12:13 AM
Flasher

Originally posted by APS
Well I'm taking my bat and ball and going home!

I will shut up now.

Peter

APS
I'm sure no one on the forum wants you to to take your bat and ball home, myself included.
I actually put off buying a Hitech exhaust in favour of your system.
(willing to wait)
Only trouble is i wont know the gains if I cant get a dyno before/after.

did I mention .1kw ?

Last edited by Flasher; 06-25-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:43 AM
mchapman

APS,

Does the Unichip allow for the ECUs ability to learn and change maps based on different circumstances?

If so how does it handle these changes?

This is the main problem with all the piggyback ECUs on the market at the moment for the Zed. If the Unichip doesnt handle this differently then its no different from any of the other solutions.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:44 AM
mchapman

Originally posted by Flasher

LOL That is amusing.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:13 AM
APS
Banned

APS,

Does the Unichip allow for the ECUs ability to learn and change maps based on different circumstances?
I'm about to head home, but in the mean time, there's good technical information on this very issue on the APS web site. Whilst it's focus is the WRX ECU and self learning, the same principles apply to the 350 Z (except for the bits about boost pressure).

See http://www.************************/wrx/wrx_learn.htm

Hope this helps.

Peter

APS
Old 06-25-2004, 01:43 AM
mchapman

Thanks for that info, not bad.

One question, was this ever released?

"The Unichip rev limit module is currently undergoing testing and should be available early 2001."

Its mentioned half way down the page.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:50 AM
ypwpat

Would love to hear it as well
Old 06-25-2004, 04:22 PM
ZZZ-35

OK I'm the forum member with the Unichip fitted, that said here's my impresstions. Let me first say that all the dyno's I've had done have always been lower than the rest of you guys which has always concerned me in base (std.) form it was 145.4rwkw with mileage at around 5000k's, then the HT was finally installed the std car's baseline was dynoed again 148.1rwkw and with the HT 162.5rwkw gained around 15rwkw I was happy with that gain plus a great sounding exhaust to boot. Back to the Unichip the car has now done 28,000k's the first base dyno APS did peaked at 155rwkw sh#t I though to myself big difference then Peter pointed out my car was dynoed on a different type of dyno (Dynamic Test Systems) anyway they fitted and tuned the Unichip re-dynoed and 166rwkw was the result, those are facts as they happened. The power and torque increase are there right across the total rev range, I notice it most in 5th gear when changing lanes to accelerate pass cars, the car responses quicker to the throttle but from 3800rpm upwards WOW like a mild set of cams have just been fitted, it idles smoothly and the engine generally feels smoother, so with other mods cams, plenum, hiflow cats or what ever this little baby IMO will get the best out of them. ASP is continuing the testing to check is long term reliablity etc., but it is so far looking really good.

Is this a good mod? if it checks out ok in the testing phase, YES YES YES and definitely YES

David
Old 06-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Flasher

Thats fantastic to hear.
Its not always good to be the first with a new product, so thanks for being the brave one and sharing your thoughts about it.
It does sound promising that you actually gain 11kw on the same dyno and the car is more drivable, which is a plus, rather that just gaining 11kw @6000rpm.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
ypwpat

Cool great to hear. So how long is the Long term Reliability test? 100km?

Also David, All i want to say is WOW!!!! You Ordered the APS TT. Cool

when will that happen?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:29 PM
mchapman

Sorry, just to clarify what were the results for the below on the SAME dyno.

Stock Dyno Run = ?
HiTech Dyno Run = ?
UniChip + HiTech Dyno Run = ?
Old 06-25-2004, 07:25 PM
APS
Banned

Sorry, just to clarify what were the results for the below on the SAME dyno.

Stock Dyno Run = ?
HiTech Dyno Run = ?
UniChip + HiTech Dyno Run = ?
Mate can you tell me how you do a stock dyno test when the car has a H/T exhaust installed on the car?

Am I missing something here as I don't understand how anyone can obtain stock power figures for this particular Z car if the car does not have a stock exhaust.

Peter

APS
Old 06-25-2004, 07:35 PM
ypwpat

Murray, David said.
before he install the hi-tech on the same Dyno:
Stock = 148.1 rwkw
After fitting hi-tech on the same day = 162.5 rwkw

Then Installing Unichip with hi-tech on already same dyno (APS dyno):

before Unichip with hi-tech = approx 155 rwkw
With Unichip and Hi-tech = approx 166rwkw

so basically the Unichip gain another 11rwkw with hi-tech exhaust.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:20 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by APS
Mate can you tell me how you do a stock dyno test when the car has a H/T exhaust installed on the car?

Am I missing something here as I don't understand how anyone can obtain stock power figures for this particular Z car if the car does not have a stock exhaust.

Peter

APS
APS,
You obviously can't mate, unless you put the stock one back on, which isnt such a far fetched idea when your talking about information gathering which will help sell a product to the public, I was after clarification as it was a bit confusing the way he wrote it.

Yun,
Thanks for clarifiying!

David,
Would you say the gain felt after adding the unichip is the same sized gain as you felt when you added the HiTech exhaust? Or a bit smaller or a bit larger?

Since all the dyno readings everywhere are so different and we dont have the stock dyno graph to compare the gains, im hoping your opinion might give us an idea of how large the gain is. Not scientific but then we might know how large the gain is.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-25-2004 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: UNICHIP and the 350Z HUGE power gains