Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

JB course at Calder 9/10/04

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:20 PM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JB course at Calder 9/10/04

David,

I finally got to one of the John Bowe hi-perf courses yesterday at Calder. It wasn't the best track by the look of it but was still a lot of fun - would highly recommend to anyone who hasn't done it.

Was a good spread of road cars such as mx-5's, WRX's, a B4, Porsches new and old, and a HSV. Was also some cars set up for the track with four of them being brought in by trailer - couple of BMW's, couple of Porsches, a Datsun and couple of V8 bombadores.

Brett.

Hi Brett,
I started a new topic with this as I only found it in the original thread by an accident. Anyway, good to hear that you got out there finaly. Calder is my least favourite track around here as there's not much else to it besided the main straight and the hair-pin off it and onto it. You have a couple nice chicanes on the other side, but that's about it. Still, a JB 'high performance' course is awesome anywhere you do it.

Can you tell me what time you got when they timed you at the start of the day, and then at the end? Do you recall the times for any other cars?

Also did you notice what speed you were reaching at the end of the main straight? I'm pressuming that you went there with the OME pads in your Brembos ... correct? If so, how did they handle it? If they can handle braking from ~200kph to 60kph every 70sec of so, then they can handle anything.

Last of all, did you let one of the instructors drive you in your car? How did you find it? In the S2000 at Winton it was an experience to behold. Oh, who was your instructor?
Old 09-10-2004, 12:30 AM
ypwpat

Btw about this Course. Is it a good idea to do advance Course Driving or Self Defence Driving Course first?

Or i can just do this right away with no problem?

Cheers
Old 09-10-2004, 12:48 AM
DavidM

Btw about this Course. Is it a good idea to do advance Course Driving or Self Defence Driving Course first?

As far as I know, you have to do a Level 1 (and maybe even Level 2) courses before they let you in the level 3 course (ie. 'high performance' course).

You don't need to do it with JB as I've done a few level1 courses with Jim Murchott (going back a while), and then I also already had a fair bit of track (and DECA) experience. Though, I'm petty sure you could do the level 3 course if you're a 'club racer' even without the level1 course.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:48 PM
dixonbn

David,

Yes was great to finally get out on to a track, even if it was Calder ... but with two previous aborted attempts due to work I had to take what I could get.

I didn't see all the times for the street cars but I seemed to be about 2 secs behind the quicker guys. My first time in the morning was a 1min 21sec, and by the afternoon I was down to low 1:15's.

I only really tried to compare myself with some of the WRX's and a B4, and they seemed to be doing about 1:13's at the end of the day. The quickest of the street cars that I saw the times for however seemed to be a brand new Boxster S (with only 2000km on the clock) that was doing 1:12's (and one lap at 1:11). Not sure what the other 911's, MG, MX-5's etc were doing.

For the main straight I was reaching about 200km/h and taking the first turn at about 80km/h. The Brembo's seemed great all day, but I have had Ferodo pads and Motul fluid added.

My main drawbacks were correct cornering and braking, and having never driven on track before I had to work on these. The interesting thing about the speeds on the straight and the power of the Z generally was that once I was going on the main or back straights I had plenty of power and maintained distances or pulled away slightly from the Rex's etc. Even though the others were quicker overall they were also not getting beyond the same 200km/h mark at the end of the main straight, but were getting around the last corner and onto the main straight quicker than I was ... so I think I was probably making up speed down the straight.

And yes my instructor - Dean Sammut (one of their full time guys) - did drive my car and was very quick, including some sideways action out of the last corner onto the main straight. Have also had my last car - S15 - driven by Gary Brabham around Mt Cotton in Brisbane and guys like that are incredibly quick.

ypwpat,

Yes I believe they do require you to have done some sort of defensive driving course in recent years as a pre-requisite.

Brett.

Last edited by dixonbn; 09-12-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:47 AM
DavidM

Thanks for that Brett.

The quickest of the street cars that I saw the times for however seemed to be a brand new Boxster S (with only 2000km on the clock) that was doing 1:12's (and one lap at 1:11).

Boxster S is a beutifull and very quick car. Also they come 'run in' from the factory. Porsche has no problem with you picking up a brand new car from them, and taking it straight to the track.

The Brembo's seemed great all day, but I have had Ferodo pads and Motul fluid added.

Aaaah, I see .... so you did not risk it with the OME pads either.

My main drawbacks were correct cornering and braking, and having never driven on track before I had to work on these.

Are you planning on going to the track again?

ps. For anyone interested in JB curses go to: http://www.johnbowedriving.com/

Last edited by DavidM; 09-13-2004 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:04 PM
dixonbn

David, yes will definitely go to the track again. Want to try and get to Sandown sometime later this year, however at the end of the year am moving back to Qld so will definitely give Qld raceway a go when I get back.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:40 PM
lionking

Originally posted by dixonbn

And yes my instructor - Dean Sammut (one of their full time guys) - did drive my car and was very quick, including some sideways action out of the last corner onto the main straight.
Hey dixonbn,

Any idea what time the instructor did? I was curious for comparisons.

I did a few laps at Calder last year and I recon that the last corner onto the main strait was the one place I could have made up a bit more time.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:55 AM
DavidM

yes will definitely go to the track again. Want to try and get to Sandown sometime later this year

Good to hear you ... maybe I'll see you at one of the track meets. I'll be at Sandown this Sunday, but I'm sure there are other Sandown events coming up before the end if the year.

however at the end of the year am moving back to Qld so will definitely give Qld raceway a go when I get back.

So you're moving. You should get out to Winton while you're still down here as that's one of the better tracks for club-sprints. I'd also say Phillip Island, but you are better of coming to grips with Sandown and Winton.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 AM
lionking

Originally posted by DavidM
[B]I'll be at Sandown this Sunday, but I'm sure there are other Sandown events coming up before the end if the year.
Hey DavidM
What's on at Sandown on Sunday? I might come down for a sticky-beak.

DOH!!!! Just realised I've got a conference on. Might be able to make it in the mornin.

Last edited by lionking; 09-14-2004 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:27 AM
DavidM

What's on at Sandown on Sunday? I might come down for a sticky-beak.

Alfa-Club is having a 'sprint' day, and I'm joining them for the day. They published the line up today, and it looks like there will be another Zed (with 2 drivers), couple M3s, couple 911s and an Elise or two besides 60 odd other cars.

Might be able to make it in the mornin.

Sure thing .... I'm hoping for good weather, and if that works out, then it makes for pretty good spectating. Spectators are always welcome so if you're down there then make sure to say 'hi' and I'll show you around. From the look of things we'll get out onto the track at ~9:15am for the 1st time, and then will be going 'till around 5pm.

Last edited by DavidM; 09-14-2004 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:14 PM
dixonbn

LK, no sorry we didn't time the instructor's laps.

David, yes I do want to try and get to Sandown and Winton before I go but I do a lot of travelling and am often out of town.

Last edited by dixonbn; 09-14-2004 at 05:17 PM.