Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Thanks for the HPDE Set Up Help! Done

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:23 PM
tomzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the HPDE Set Up Help! Done

Thank you to all track advisors!! Done at last!

The 2 year odyssey to get the 03 Z prepped for basic track DE duty is finally complete. I would like to thank the many My350Z Forum advisors who have been so helpful during this effort. I really could not have done it without the generosity of wisdom from the My350Z community. The first outing with the complete package will be March 12 & 13 at Road Atlanta with my son-in-law sharing the track, and then to Putnam later this spring with my son for his first DE event.

Like all projects of this sort it was a tremendous education for us non-mechanical types. I could not have done it without your help! And, the most fun has been designing some new combinations for a ZTrackmobile and track trailer. The ZToo Track Trailer on the little Harbor Freight mini trailer base was an especially fun design project as was the disappearing hitch. One of the other more enjoyable aspects of the project was encountering great American craftsmen. The guys at Complete Custom Wheels (CCW) Chip and John, and Dave at DW Welding were just great to work with. I highly recommend their American made products for the Z as very high quality and excellent values.

The Z Track community probably knows of CCW, but may not know of DE Welding of Murray, KY. They made the track wheel/tire rack that bolts easily onto the Harbor Freight mini trailer base we all use. Anyone thinking about a track trailer might consider ordering this unit. It is only $200 (plus shipping) and has been a real labor saver, wheel saver, and ease of use device for Z track related activities.

The design objective for the wheel/tire rack was to improve on other good wheel/rack designs to address Z track use issues including.
• A rack that can hold various size wheels. This one handles 18” and 17”. They can also hold 19”-17” wheels with a slight width enlargement at no additional cost)
• Can accommodate wide track tires, up to 4 x 275’s
• Can accommodate wheels with center caps (a no-center rod design allows wheels/tires to be changed at the motel the nite before an event and then transport your street tires, with center caps, in the rack on the trailer. This rack also allows you to use wheels with center caps as your “Track” wheels.
• Offer an easy way to get the wheels/tires out of the rack
• Is strong and lightweight
• Can be easily removed for other trailer duties (4 bolts)
• Offers security and stability – easy to use cable lock and cinch down strap brackets
• A good cost value - $200

Dave will ship you one of these painted black, or primer gray to bolt on to the Harbor Freight mini trailer. I am happy to give him my design which he improved upon to allow a quality American craftsman to meet your Z Track needs Too. You can contact Dave Whitney about a rack for your trailer at:

DW Welding Murray, KY 42071
David Whitney
270-436-5638
e-mail - djaswhitney@aol.com

Also of note
• Check out the aluminum tool box – a forum advisor suggested I shy away from the normal plastic Wal-Mart boxes since the plastic hinges are on the outside and can be cut easily in 10 seconds to steal the tools from your box. This sturdy Better Built Box (SUV model) is right out of the Special Truck/SUV Tool Box Order Book hanging on the truck tool box shelf at Lowe’s. The drop down fronts makes a great tool tray is just great, the pull out tool holder is handy, and the hinge up top makes everything very accessible. Only $165 with an order at any Lowe’s.
• The curious aluminum slot/cups on the back of the trailer are the tire holders for my wife’s electric bike (E-Z Bike) so she can zoom around the track locations and nearby attractions.
• Just one project injury. I was a toothless grogon for 2 months last winter. The torque wrench in the mouth trick during sway bar install – “all I wanted for Xmas was my new front tooth”.

Now onto the track for DE fun with the family! Thanks again Z Advisors! And thanks also to my loving wife for such great project support – “Sweettie? – Why is there a hole in your mouth?”, “Why do we always stop at Lowes for bolts?” , “Yes, I gave my husband tires for Xmas.” , “ Trouble is when your husband mixes tires and testosterone”. Now that is love!

See you at the track! Keep The Shiny Side Up!!

I am happy to send pics of the Track Trailer with wheel/tire rack, disappearing hitch, tool box, and the CCW wheels with track tires. PM me and I will send to you.

Tomzz

PS - Some have asked that I post the list of items I selected for my Z Track Prep project. Here is my list, selected with a world of good advice from all of you. The list is based on priorities for 1. Safety, 2. Handling, and 3.Basic breathing enhancements for the stock engine at the upper rev range (intake, plenum, and exhaust). Oh yes, there is always more or less on such a project, so this only one man’s list in the Z Track Prep Odyssey,

350Z - 03 Performance – DE Track Modifications/Equipment

• AP Racing Brakes - Front
• Stillen drilled & slotted rotors - 13” front, 11” rear
• CarboTech XP Race brake pads
• SS brake lines
• Injen Straight tip SES exhaust – allows room for disappearing hitch
• 350Evo sway bars
• 350Evo Front Control Arms
• K&N air filter
• Kirk Custom Roll 4 pt bar
• JC Whitney Roll Bar Padded Cover Kit
• Ultra Shield 6 pt harnesses
• Motul Brake Fluid
• Mobil 1 15/50
• OMP heel/toe throttle pedal
• Bell helmet
• Momo Gloves (most fun equipment add)
• Sparco Neck ring pad
• Koni Sport Shocks
• RS-R Springs
• CCW Racing Wheels – Classic/Polished Street Trim – 17x9.5F , 17x10.5R
• w/ 17” Toyo RA-1 R Tires 255/40 F , 275/40 R
• Harbor Freight mini trailer base/ custom track trailer w/ tool box, bike rack, and tire rack
• custom disappearing hitch & wiring harness & hitch lock
• Better Built SUV aluminum tool box
• Crawford Cast Plenum and brace
• Track Tool Kit – 12v compressor, jack, stands, air gauge, pyrometer, torque wrench, camber gauge, magnetic numbers, pop up canopy, and more and more sockets and wrenches
• Next winter project – geriatric gear indicator light – “what gear am I in now??”
Old 03-16-2005, 07:19 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of the trailer design? I'm interested as I too will be in the garage figuring out how to get my wheels to stay on a trailer.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:23 PM
speedform

Nice write-up tomzz! I thought about doing the trailer hitch thing but instead decided to do the tow vehicle thing. Now the Z can enjoy a nice calm trailer ride to and from the track. And a thorough thrashing in between. cheers,
Old 03-19-2005, 06:40 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see a pic with those hot CCW's on!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:57 PM
tomzz

Default trailer and CCW pics

The trailer pics of the trailer are heaing to Dman tonite. 350 Zenophile, I will send pics of the CCW track wheels asap. They might be deayed due to the pics are on my son's computer he took to the NCAA playoffs on OK City. Will get them from him ASAP and send to you. Can you PM me with your e mail address for the pics?

The BMW Club and PCA folks at Road Atlanta last weekend really liked the CCW Classic (street trim) wheels. The 17" wheels (9.5 and 10.5) with the Toto RA's really glued the Z to the track.