Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

options and vendors for non-brembo oem rear track pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:08 PM
amolaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mberthia
Someone earlier mentioned that the Hawk blue were not high on the list of pads to try out. Can anyone tell me why/what's wrong with the blue compound. I was considering trying it for my next weekend at Gingerman.

Thanks
There is nothing 'wrong' with them per se. I am fairly familiar with them as they are what most people (including me) run on my SpecMiata. For whatever reason, they work fantastically on the miata. Having a disastrous outing on the stock front brakes with the Z, I tried a pad/fluid upgrade (RBF600+blues - hey, worth a shot for $150 vs $2K for the StopTechs). The hawk blues absolutely demolished my (stock) front rotors. Believe it or not, I think they actually got hot enough to start delaminating the rotor wear surface from the underlying metal. Even then, I got fluid fade (soft pedal) even with the fresh RBF. As far as I know, there isn't a non-brembo rear 'off-the-shelf' fitment for the blues. Even if there were, I'm not sure the rear's get hot enough to function well with them. I'd stay away from them for the Z. As daveh said, *DO*NOT* attempt to drive to/from the track with them on the car. They are absolutely evil to rotors when cold.

daveh - do you have a contact (and price) to get the st-43 rears?

ahm
Old 07-25-2005, 02:30 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by amolaver

daveh - do you have a contact (and price) to get the st-43 rears?

ahm
Porterfield cut them for me. It was 119 for the rears and the fronts were 250 (with the nasa discount). Read my other post on them before you make your decision. They've got a lot of bite!. I also think I've yet to introduce other weaknesses in the system now that I've gotten past the pad issues but time will tell. You might just want to get the PF-97's. I would guess they would last a while too.

If you do get them, be very careful bedding them in each time. I ended up getting a spare set of rotors because its so hard to bed these puppies in due to the amt of heat they can handle before transferring a layer onto the rotors. They aren't very compatible with my street pads
Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 AM
amolaver

if you're referring to the boots melting, i'm not worried about it. my stoptech boots are mostly gone at this point. the rears have been gone a long while... my concern would be if their CoF is much higher than the pagid black's i'm running up front, it would disturb the brake balance - could make trail braking an issue. I guess I really need to call them and see what their thoughts might be. The PF-97 sounds like it might be a better match with the Pagids, then maybe run the ST-43's all around when the black's are done (although i'm hesitant to try anything else at this point since the black's are working so well for me).

How do you like the truechoice setup?

ahm

edit: are the rear rotors a pain to change (with the hub-brake)? i haven't swapped those yet, but keeping a spare set bedded in with track pads sounds like a good idea. i'm going to end up getting a new set of rotors for the stoptech's over the winter pending their continued safe survival for the rest of the season.

Last edited by amolaver; 07-27-2005 at 04:26 AM.