Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

255/40-17 victoracers on enthusiast 17x8's for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:00 AM
amolaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 255/40-17 victoracers on enthusiast 17x8's for HPDE?

i've now got three full sets of enthusiast wheels yeah, i'm a sucker for cheap wheels. basically, i plan to take two of the three pairs of fronts, and toss them (well, sell 'em). so i'll have one 'normal' set of 4 - 2x 17x7.5 fronts, 2x 17x8 rears (these will be the street set) - and then 4x 17x8's. those 4x 17x8's i'm going to mount up track rubber on. i'm fairly convinced i'm going to run victoracers, although i'm also considering ra-1's. keep in mind this is for hpde/track days, not autox (i know people are running 275's or bigger for autox, but don't think that would be a good idea in this application). so two questions:

1) which is, size for size, stickier? ra-1 or victoracer. wear about the same? i haven't run enough on the ra-1's on my specmiata to know, but they seem pretty durable for r-compounds, and i hear the same for the victoracers

2) sizing... victo's come in 255/40-17 and 245/45-17. ra-1 comes in 255/40-17 or 235/40-17. only the 235/40-17 even has an 8" wheel in the recommended list of three wheel sizes (8, 8.5, 9). However, i'm currently running 245/45-17 azenis sports on the rear, and they look absolutely like the perfect size (using sidewall parallel to wheel face as the measuring stick). i really would like to run the 255's, but understand the larger tire may not in fact give more grip (if it doesn't fit properly). has anyone actually run both of these sizes and would care to share their experience?

thanks!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Clyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default track tires

I'm like you. I have 2 sets of stock 17" wheels. I've taken the 4-8" rims and mounted 4 Toyo RA's 255/40/17's and didn't have a bit of trouble with them on the track. I was running 275/40/17's on the rear and the moved those to the front and that was a great set-up. However I wanted to be able to rotate and went with the 255's.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:39 AM
2003z

I ran 17s on the track, but 17x9s in the following combos
255/40s all around (victorracers)
255/40 victorracer front and 255/45 hoosier rear
275/40 all around (victorracers)

I liked the middle combo the best.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:21 AM
amolaver

Originally Posted by 2003z
I ran 17s on the track, but 17x9s in the following combos
255/40s all around (victorracers)
255/40 victorracer front and 255/45 hoosier rear
275/40 all around (victorracers)

I liked the middle combo the best.
interesting. that's not a combo i would have surmised to be great (depending of course on the rest of your setup). if anything, i thought i might run the stickier option up front to try and counter some of the push i currently have.

can you comment on why you liked the victo(f)/hoosier(r) the best? how much track time did you get out of all these tires (if you can recall)?

ahm
Old 05-01-2005, 08:24 AM
amolaver

Originally Posted by Clyde
I'm like you. I have 2 sets of stock 17" wheels. I've taken the 4-8" rims and mounted 4 Toyo RA's 255/40/17's and didn't have a bit of trouble with them on the track. I was running 275/40/17's on the rear and the moved those to the front and that was a great set-up. However I wanted to be able to rotate and went with the 255's.
This is good to know - no issues with the 255/40-17 RA-1 on oem enthusiast wheels. This would lead me to believe the victo fitment would likely also be fine. Thanks!

I'm curious if anyone has run both the ra1 and victo and could compare grip and life.

ahm
Old 05-01-2005, 08:42 AM
2003z

Originally Posted by amolaver
interesting. that's not a combo i would have surmised to be great (depending of course on the rest of your setup). if anything, i thought i might run the stickier option up front to try and counter some of the push i currently have.

can you comment on why you liked the victo(f)/hoosier(r) the best? how much track time did you get out of all these tires (if you can recall)?

ahm
basically 1 track day on the 255 setup (road atlanta), 1 track day on the 275 setup (little talladega) and 4 on the combo (road A, roebling road and VIR)

I went with that setup because 2 of my 255s were worn and I got a good deal on the used hoosiers. I liked the combo because it kept a factory stagger, but with the same width tires, and it was cheap. It really didn't feel any different than with the 4 same size 255s on the car.

I didn't like the 275s on the track because I boiled my power steering fluid (no nismo cooler at the time)
Old 05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
amolaver

Originally Posted by 2003z
basically 1 track day on the 255 setup (road atlanta), 1 track day on the 275 setup (little talladega) and 4 on the combo (road A, roebling road and VIR)

I went with that setup because 2 of my 255s were worn and I got a good deal on the used hoosiers. I liked the combo because it kept a factory stagger, but with the same width tires, and it was cheap. It really didn't feel any different than with the 4 same size 255s on the car.

I didn't like the 275s on the track because I boiled my power steering fluid (no nismo cooler at the time)
whoah - you only got 1 day out a set of the 255/40-17 victoracers? i mean, you actually wore through a set in a day? that's pretty much why i was leaning towards them or the ra-1's, figuring they'd last at least a few events. even still, it sounds like my plan is still sound (255's all around on the 8" wheels).

With any luck, I'll have a cashiers check for my old motorcycle tomorrow, and tomorrow night, I'll have ordered up a set of the victoracers shaved and ready for fun.

ahm
Old 05-02-2005, 02:53 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

My $0.02.

I have 9" rims, and I just bought 255/40 Azinas. If they offered 245/40's, I would have bought that size. 255 is the correct(?) size for a 9" rim. Putting a 255 on a 8" rim is going in the wrong direction. Wider isn't necessarily better. I like a stiff sidewall for better response, ride quality be dam*ed!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
benzz280

Hey Bruce, you destroyed your kumho MXs already? How long did they last?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:38 PM
amolaver

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
My $0.02.

I have 9" rims, and I just bought 255/40 Azinas. If they offered 245/40's, I would have bought that size. 255 is the correct(?) size for a 9" rim. Putting a 255 on a 8" rim is going in the wrong direction. Wider isn't necessarily better. I like a stiff sidewall for better response, ride quality be dam*ed!
should have gotten the azenis sports (instead of the 615) in 245/45-17 then yes, its a 45-aspect, but a good tire. in fact, its what i currently have on my car i was using it for track time, but want something with more bite, hence my looking at the victoracers (or v710's, or ???). i like the azenis sports (haven't driven the 615's) because they are cheap, and a pretty good tire. the issue is that our cars our fat, and the sports start to get greasy towards the end of a 20 minute session (the 30 minute sessions i come in early because they get so slippy).

i'm curious to hear your feedback on the 615 though - wonder if anything about them justifies their significantly higher price (than the sports). for what they get for the 615, you can just about buy the victoracers from tirerack... when's your next track day - would love to hear some feedback on them.

anyway - to your point. yes, i know wider is not necessarily better, but i have to say, the 245 azenis sport is a perfect fit on my 8" enthusiast rears. its hard for me to believe a 10mm wider tire would be a problem, or give me less grip. possible, i just don't think so. hopefully, i'll find out soon thanks for the thoughts though.

ahm
Old 05-02-2005, 07:40 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

If I only knew then what I know now....... .....I would have bought the 245 Azenis Sports instead of the Kumho MX's. I never liked the squishy sidewall of the MX's. I'll run them for 2 more HPDE days though. I ordered the NEW 615's early as I thought they were in short supply, but Chris at DTD came through in only a few days. I really want R compounds, but I'm driving to Watkins Glen in July, and I wouldn't want to subject the R's to all that street mileage. Hopefully I'll get some R's & forged 18" wheels for NEXT year!

At a HPDE at the Autobahn Country Club last week, a G35C had the 615's and he was very pleased with them. The old sports were a 6 year old design, and the new 615's are supposed to be a LOT better. I'll soon find out. I'm planning on having them on for an event at Blackhawk Farms on 6/10.

Benny, they aren't "destroyed" yet. But they are down to about 1/64" tread till I hit the wear bars. I'll see you 5/16!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
amolaver

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
If I only knew then what I know now....... .....I would have bought the 245 Azenis Sports instead of the Kumho MX's. I never liked the squishy sidewall of the MX's. I'll run them for 2 more HPDE days though. I ordered the NEW 615's early as I thought they were in short supply, but Chris at DTD came through in only a few days. I really want R compounds, but I'm driving to Watkins Glen in July, and I wouldn't want to subject the R's to all that street mileage. Hopefully I'll get some R's & forged 18" wheels for NEXT year!

At a HPDE at the Autobahn Country Club last week, a G35C had the 615's and he was very pleased with them. The old sports were a 6 year old design, and the new 615's are supposed to be a LOT better. I'll soon find out. I'm planning on having them on for an event at Blackhawk Farms on 6/10.

Benny, they aren't "destroyed" yet. But they are down to about 1/64" tread till I hit the wear bars. I'll see you 5/16!
I assume you're coming from the Chicago area for The Glenn - yes, R-compounds probably would have been toast by the time you got there... Same reason I went to the Azenis. Pre-trailer ownership, I needed the dual-purpose tire as well. The sports may be a 6-year old design, but frankly, I love 'em. I ran them on my WRX, and now on the Z. While not quite enough for hard core track use, 99% of the folks out there (even at HPDEs) aren't 'hard core'. Overdriving the car and cooking tires? Absolutely. Driving well, they are almost enough. I should know - I've burned a number of front outside edge to know when I'm trying too hard

In short - I'd be surprised if the 615 really is that much better. More specifically, that it has significantly more grip and wears as well. The sports wear like iron - like I just posted in another thread, 10 full HPDE days is rather easy to get on them without issue. In fact, I don't think they are in their prime until they've got at least 3-5 days on 'em. The tread squirm goes away (and assuming you've haven't roasted the crap out of them at full depth - ask me how I know ), they get grippier, staying consistent longer before getting greasy. If the 615s really are grippier, it will be interesting to hear comparisons between them and the victoracers. They're priced about the same (from a casual perusal).

ahm