Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Need input on Nomex suit

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need input on Nomex suit

Any recommendations on driving suits? If you have any preferences I would like to hear about it. I'm getting ready to start SCCA racing and have been kind of overwhelmed with choices. Obviously it has to be FIA5 or better. I prefer the Nomex to the chemically treated stuff. I would love to get a full on $1300 dollar setup, but my budget is limiting me to around $500-$700. That is the best I can afford right now. Should I wait, until I can afford more? Is there a significant safety difference between a $600, two layer Nomex & undergarments vs. a $1300, 3 layer??

I'm kind of leaning towards a 2 piece suit.

1. Any pros and cons of a 2 piece over a 1 piece?
2. Is there any safety issues with 2 piece vs. 1?
3. Also, do you know of any good places to get suits?

I have a coupon for 10 percent off at saferacer.com. So that is kind of where I started. But I'm open to other places.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
apharmdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any experience with suits, though I know these guys are great in terms of products and prices. They are also very customer oriented and can probably address your questions. I do know a few guys at my track club who use their products for both lapping and racing. Haven't heard any complaints from them. Good luck

http://www.bellmotorsports.com/

Last edited by apharmdb; 07-12-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

I would save your money for the better one. Look at it this way, would you buy a parachute from Wal-Mart because its cheap?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The amount of time that the suit will protect you against fire is the main difference in the suits generally. A cheaper suit will obviously protect you for a lesser amount of time but still enough to meet regulation. A cheaper suit will also not be as comfortable. Alot of the nicer suits have added room in the knees and shoulder area as well as breathe a bit better while protecting you. All in all I would say save up for the nicer suit in the long run you will be happier.

Edit: I have also heard nothing but good things about products put out by Impact Racing. It is worth a look as they are a bit cheaper than some of the bigger names like Sparco and OMP.

Last edited by DmanG281; 07-12-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DmanG281
I have also heard nothing but good things about products put out by Impact Racing. It is worth a look as they are a bit cheaper than some of the bigger names like Sparco and OMP.
Impact Racing is Bill Simpson's new company.

I saw a demo of the new material they're working on. Open flame on one side of the material, Bill's hand on the other side. Bill's hand was not affected by the flame.

When I need a driver's suit, that's what I'm going with!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:10 PM
UnderPressure

safety equipment is the one area that price should never be a factor.

Find a suit that meets the spec you want in a suit. You are the one who has to be comfortable in it. You are the one who's butt is literarly on the line. The rules and regulations are just minimum stardards that equipment must meet. So by all means spend the extra cash if needed to get a suit that meets your requirements.

Another thing, don't just buy an expensive suit just for its name. There are alot of expensive suits that I wouldn't trust any further than I could throw them.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 PM
zillinois

Thanks for the input guys. Still no input on 1 or 2 piece? I'm asking for recommendations on specific suits.

Underpressure, can you name the suits that are expensive, but you wouldn't use?

Thanks for the recommendations for bellmotorsports and impact. I have checked them out. Unfortunately, I'm really no closer to a decision.

Its just so hard to choose. Even among the expensive suits there's no way to tell which will fit best and have the highest quality stuff. Unfortunately, money restraints are a fact of life. I think it is possible to get a 2 layer nomex suit and 1 layer of nomex undergarments for well below the $1300 hundred it costs to get a 3 layer suit AND get the same fire protection.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Jason H

What SCCA racing do you plan to do? If road racing, you should know that if you don't wear a 3 layer suit, you're required to wear full nomex under garments (ie, shirt, pants, etc..) Just something else to think about cause that stuff isn't cheap either

I wear a Sparco Top5. It's a great suit but I don't know if it has any other advantages any other 3-layer.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:24 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Give them a call and ask them what one they would buy for themselves given a budget amount.

I have to say I've met very few racing product salespeople who are slime, most are in the industry because they are enthusiasts and want to help people.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:29 PM
UnderPressure

I wish there was a place to try on suits and the like. I'm 6'6" 230lbs. Trying to find a suit that fits is kinda difficult. Sucks having to pretty much buy sight unseen.

My personal opinion on suits has to do more w/ how they holdup over time and not protection that they offer. I have not personally fire tested a suit and hope not to anytime in the future.

As for quality suits, look @ what the professional drivers are wearing. Yes they have contracts but they are still concerned about their safety as well.

As for the 1&2 piece debate: I personally like 1 piece designs. 2 piece designs seem to be a little more comfortable while in the pits.

Last edited by UnderPressure; 07-12-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just save up and get the 3 layer. I myself will not take the cheap route on things that can save my life or body from harm. I bought a Sparco helmet, nomex gloves, nomex shoes, roll bar, and a fire supression system. Next on my list is a suit and head sock.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Give Ken a call at Evolution Motorsports (815)436-0129. He is in Plainfield and carries Impact and another less expensive brand who's name I forget. But just don't lift an Impact helmet.......they're crazy light.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 AM
racin

One piece suit will be what you want. Two piece will leave an opening for fire to walk right through.
Suit technology has come a long way in recent years, and to a certain extent, you do get what you pay for. The materials used have become better at protecting, but at the same time, they have begun to be much lighter and more comfortable, which is a safety feature in itself. I personally wear an OMP 3 layer for my racing, but it is an older one. This makes it more of a snow suit than anything else, and is hot as heck. Some of the newer suits I've sold have made me jealous due to their light weight and similar protection ratings. But I found it more important to get into a HANS device than a lighter suit, which I did.
Now I will start concentrating on a suit that is more comfortable to be in during those 95-plus degree days here with 90 percent humidity. Being so hot saps my energy and to a degree, my concentration, which is less safe, so it makes sense to choose something cooler if possible (budget). Perhaps you need to look at your climate and schedule to make a good decision, but as somebody above said, the better the suit, the better your true protection. Think of your safety in terms of a complete package. Buy the best you can in every phase, but be sure to be complete.
You will need a suit, gloves, shoes, fire suppression system, helmet, and restraints, for sure, and hopefully you are budgeting for a HANS device as well. Take all of these things into consideration, and make your purchases accordingly. A lighter helmet is easier on the neck in a longer race; a lighter suit will keep you cooler and more focussed and alert; purchase a seat that is compatible with the HANS device. Even if you don't have the HANS now, you should plan ahead for it.
Also, do find a shop where you can try suits on, or at least use a manufacturer that has a comprehensive measuring criteria in place. I'm 6'4", and push the limits of the standard suit sizing envelope, so you may need something custom.
Good luck with your suit purchase, as well as your racing endeavours, and be safe!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Rob Hines

I would go for one of the european-style suits such as Sparco, OMP or Momo. I own an OMP and a MOMO and I find them lighter and cooler than the Simpson suits that I own. They also have more sizes available off the rack - you may be a 62/64 depending on the manfucturer. You will want a one piece suit because it is safer... There is no way for the top to become untucked from the bottom.

It is important that the suit fit properly - which means that it doesn't ride up on your arms or legs while in the driving position and it isn't too tight.

Even though you won't have to wear nomex underwear under an SFI 3.3/5 rated 2 or 3 layer suit, I'd suggest that you buy some and wear it. I always do. As someone who has been on fire before, I think that the extra protection is mandatory.

I'd also suggest that you buy nomex socks, gloves, racing shoes, a balaclava and a HANS device while you are at it. I know all of this will seem expensive, but it is worth it when you are considering that your life / health is at stake.

Good luck - and feel free to PM me if I can help in any way

-Rob

Last edited by Rob Hines; 07-13-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 PM
zillinois

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it. I never knew it was going to be so difficult to select safety gear. It helped that the SCCA "highly" recommends a 1 piece suit, so at least I can eliminate one option. Since its about safety, I've decided to get the highest SFI rating I can afford. I found a Wesco, 1-piece, Nomex3, 3 layer, SFI-15 protection rating for $575. So far this is the safest suit I can afford. Plus, it keeps within my budget and gives me higher protection than what is required by my sanctioning body in case they ever raise the standards.

Enthuz, I'll definitely check out Evolution MoSpo before I pull the trigger.

I think there is a great marketing opportunity for some company to come out with complete safety packages. I did a very exhaustive search for package deals and I only found a few offerings. While the price was right on some of these "deals", the quality of the equipment was substandard.

I'll post up when I get the suit/gear and give a review after my first race.

Last edited by zillinois; 07-13-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 AM
ALong

Zillinois,
Listen to Robs advice. The one thing in racing that cant be replaced is the driver. DO NOT SKIMP ON A SUIT OR HELMET. I understand that you dont have a big budget but look at it this way, put off that first race or two or driving school until you can afford a Good Suit. What is one race when your life is at risk? Or what is one race vs being in a burn ward for months? When I first started out racing, I delayed racing by one season just so I could get all the right equipment. Also it will cost you more money in the long run to get a cheap suit right now, eventually you will realize that you want a suit that breathes better and is lighter and you will purchase one, so instead of wasting $5-600 on a suit now, step up and buy a good suit that will last for a number of years.

My recommendation, buy a Sparco suit. IMHO, they are the best out there, high quality of build and material. They are lightweight and breath really well, they do have suits in your price range (under $600) but I would look at one of their top line suits ($900-1200). They have a new suit called the superlight that literally is half the weight of a standard suit but has the same fire protection. When you are sitting inside a hot racecar on a day with 85-90 degree ambient air temp and the inside of the car is 100deg+, you will appreciate a high quality suit that breathes and is not heavy on you.

Call Speedware Motorsports 425-869-5680, they are the biggest Sparco dealer in the USA, they are also a personal sponsor of mine (they built my T2 350Z). For a club racer like me that is penniless, having sponsors like Speedware is invaluable and I couldnt race without their help. Anyone that is reading this, keep this in mind next time you need to buy safety equipment or raceparts.

Alex
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 AM
ALong

You never mentioned what you are going to race? The Z?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 AM
zillinois

Thanks Along. I'll be racing a spec Miata rental with SCCA to begin with. Then I'll see where I'm at financially this Winter. I would like to build my Z for T2 if the money is there. (I'm starting a new business right now and its taking up a lot of my cash flow. The intial investment is almost over though and the cash should start to come in.)

I've been to the Speedware site and Saferacer and practically all the sites that sell suits. I really do like the Sparco's, but I'm not really willing to put off racing until next year.

I did have a question about the Sparco's and the other high end ones. How come I can't find top of the line suit with an SFI rating above 5? The suit I'm considering is Nomex III and has an SFI rating of 15 and is $575. Why get a high end one when they provide a shorter TTP (Morbid terminology- Time To Pain!!) than the one I'm considering? I can get more fire protection for less money? I don't see how this is skimping? Not being argumentative, I just don't know any better. Is it going to be a snowmobile suit? The other concern I have about buying a $1000+ suit is that I will be working on my own car. If I forget to take it off before I crawl under or if I have to do some emergency work on the car, then my suit may very well become soiled on a regular basis.

For the other noobs out there, here is a link to understanding how to select a suit and what all the ratings mean.

http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/24.pdf

Last edited by zillinois; 07-14-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
amolaver

a couple of comments, which i think are inline with your wants because i am/was in almost the exact same position. in fact, my first SM race is this weekend (hyperfest at summit point). i was really working the suit question over a lot. in my case, i'm lucky/unlucky in that ogracing.com is about 40 minutes from my house and has a retail showroom. i discussed the TTP :0 quite a few times with them and others before deciding on a ~$500 sparco suit they had (honestly, don't know the model name off the top of my head). it is a 3 layer /5 suit. i was leaning towards a higher TTP-rated suit as well, until i actually saw one. holy snow suit batman! maybe, maybe in an open top car something that is livable, but here in the greater DC area (otherwise known's as hell's hot plate) where temps routinely are above 90, and humidity is measured in lbs of sweat/minute, it was obvious that it would never work.

while in theory i agree with all those stating 'buy the best', there comes a point where you realize that ALL OF THIS STUFF IS A COMPROMISE. i mean, clearly you're willing to take some more risk than the general populace - you're stepping into a race car. i decided i'd get more median gear, and see how things progressed. if i found that one piece of the gear was clearly not going to be acceptable, i'll replace it. i mean, i bought simpson shoes (~$60), simpson carbonx socks ($30/pr), the sparco suit ($500), sparco gloves ($60), a sparco balaclava ($50?), sparco 6pt harness (~$200), and a gforce helmet ($200). all entry / mid level stuff, but all name brand. i've used all of the gear at DE's (to test fit and feel of it all), and i'm really happy with it all. yes, i probably will add nomex underwear to the holiday wish list because it will make me feel better, but honestly, i don't actually think you're getting more safety when spending more.

i'd posit that you are *MUCH* more likely to suffer impact trauma than fire. make sure you're cage is well padded (its a rental, so it probably is), get a good harness (again, the rental most likely has good stuff), and buy a good helmet. being an avid motorcyclist for 13 years, i've had my share of helmets, and i think the general consensus between objective folks is that so long as the helmet meets the standard, all you're buying after that is fit/comfort. not to minimize its importance (after all, i own an expensive arai for mc'ing), but i don't spend 12 hours straight in the race car, and i wanted something like the OMP tourismo (a full face helmet designed with no polycarbonate visor). the OMP was $450. the gforce hybrid was <$200.

now about another comment you made... regarding working on the car in your suit - DON'T!!! any grease/oil on the suit will greatly reduce your protection.

my opinion (worth every penny you're paying for it ) is to buy mid-price gear that SEEMS to be designed the way you like it (like my helmet example above). in a year or two, replacing a helmet / shoes / gloves won't be a major expense by itself, and you may very well decide you don't like that high ankle shoe, but something lower - etc. yes, the suit would be expensive to replace, but like i said above, 1) the >5 TPP suits i've seen are way to bulky for roadracing in the summer. perhaps someone like sparco makes a higher tpp suit that isn't as bulky, but be prepared for a $2K plus pricetag (ie CF helmet - see Stand21's stuff!) and 2) fit may be a problem. *DO NOT* buy a suit over the net, at least not without trying them on first. i tried on like 4 or 5 different sizes, and i think you'll be tougher to fit than me (6'1 230). find a retailer to try them on, even if you do end up ordering online.

one other comment i'd make is saferacer.com offers a significant discount to SMers. PM for discount code.

ahm
Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by amolaver
a couple of comments, which i think are inline with your wants because i am/was in almost the exact same position. in fact, my first SM race is this weekend (hyperfest at summit point). i was really working the suit question over a lot. in my case, i'm lucky/unlucky in that ogracing.com is about 40 minutes from my house and has a retail showroom. i discussed the TTP :0 quite a few times with them and others before deciding on a ~$500 sparco suit they had (honestly, don't know the model name off the top of my head). it is a 3 layer /5 suit. i was leaning towards a higher TTP-rated suit as well, until i actually saw one. holy snow suit batman! maybe, maybe in an open top car something that is livable, but here in the greater DC area (otherwise known's as hell's hot plate) where temps routinely are above 90, and humidity is measured in lbs of sweat/minute, it was obvious that it would never work.

while in theory i agree with all those stating 'buy the best', there comes a point where you realize that ALL OF THIS STUFF IS A COMPROMISE. i mean, clearly you're willing to take some more risk than the general populace - you're stepping into a race car. i decided i'd get more median gear, and see how things progressed. if i found that one piece of the gear was clearly not going to be acceptable, i'll replace it. i mean, i bought simpson shoes (~$60), simpson carbonx socks ($30/pr), the sparco suit ($500), sparco gloves ($60), a sparco balaclava ($50?), sparco 6pt harness (~$200), and a gforce helmet ($200). all entry / mid level stuff, but all name brand. i've used all of the gear at DE's (to test fit and feel of it all), and i'm really happy with it all. yes, i probably will add nomex underwear to the holiday wish list because it will make me feel better, but honestly, i don't actually think you're getting more safety when spending more.

i'd posit that you are *MUCH* more likely to suffer impact trauma than fire. make sure you're cage is well padded (its a rental, so it probably is), get a good harness (again, the rental most likely has good stuff), and buy a good helmet. being an avid motorcyclist for 13 years, i've had my share of helmets, and i think the general consensus between objective folks is that so long as the helmet meets the standard, all you're buying after that is fit/comfort. not to minimize its importance (after all, i own an expensive arai for mc'ing), but i don't spend 12 hours straight in the race car, and i wanted something like the OMP tourismo (a full face helmet designed with no polycarbonate visor). the OMP was $450. the gforce hybrid was <$200.

now about another comment you made... regarding working on the car in your suit - DON'T!!! any grease/oil on the suit will greatly reduce your protection.

my opinion (worth every penny you're paying for it ) is to buy mid-price gear that SEEMS to be designed the way you like it (like my helmet example above). in a year or two, replacing a helmet / shoes / gloves won't be a major expense by itself, and you may very well decide you don't like that high ankle shoe, but something lower - etc. yes, the suit would be expensive to replace, but like i said above, 1) the >5 TPP suits i've seen are way to bulky for roadracing in the summer. perhaps someone like sparco makes a higher tpp suit that isn't as bulky, but be prepared for a $2K plus pricetag (ie CF helmet - see Stand21's stuff!) and 2) fit may be a problem. *DO NOT* buy a suit over the net, at least not without trying them on first. i tried on like 4 or 5 different sizes, and i think you'll be tougher to fit than me (6'1 230). find a retailer to try them on, even if you do end up ordering online.

one other comment i'd make is saferacer.com offers a significant discount to SMers. PM for discount code.

ahm
Thanks for another perspective Amo. :-)

I'm having a brain hemorage right now trying to select gear. I've got an HPDE before the race and I want to test all the gear, so I have to get this stuff pretty soon. I don't have a place here to try suits on, but I guess I'll have to make the trip.

I agree with what you said about compromise. You know, maybe I can squeeze another hundred out for a suit, but like you said everything is a compromise unless you buy a $2000 dollar suit. Adding a $100 bucks, let alone $500 bucks, won't get me a better SFI rating, really, its just about comfort after about $500-$600. How long are SCCA Spec Miata races? 30 minutes? I don't know if comfort is the best place to put my $100-500 bucks. I would rather use it as a down payment on a Hans device or something useful.

Thanks for the tip on the SM discount. I already have a 10% off coupon for saferacer though.

For other's interested, speedwaremotorsports has a head to toe deal. 10-15% off if you buy a package.

Last edited by zillinois; 07-14-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Need input on Nomex suit