Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Suggestions for beginner racing events

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:35 PM
aprikh1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Suggestions for beginner racing events

Hello everybody,

I had my Touring Z since January and after driving it on highways and byways for 6 months I am itching to learn the true limits of this excellent vehicle. I am located in Maryland and would be interested in some kind of local club racing event. I am a beginner when it comes to any kind of regulated racing and I was hoping that some of the racing gurus from this forum would be able to suggest an event that I could try. I am looking for something entry level and that would require as little money or equipment to start. Since I am a poor college student I am on a rather limited budget, so weekly tire changes and large track fees would be too cost prohibitive. Also, if any Maryland Z owners periodically hold meets I would be interested in attending, just let me know when and where. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my suggestions to you...

If you are looking to do racing as an new hobby, then I suggest autocross. Its cheap and you don't need much to start. Because its cheap you can do more events. Autocross is a great way of learning your cars limits in a safe and controlled environment. The only downside is that you don't get much seat time and you usually don't get out of 2nd gear (at least thats how it is in Vegas).

If you are purely just looking to test the limits of your car, I would save up and do a track day. I would suggest doing one with N.A.S.A. Pro Racing in their HPDE 1 Program. They offer excelent instruction. The requirements are the same minus the N.A.S.A. license as autocross, but you get WAY more seat time and the speeds are considerably higher. Other good organizations for instruction are Racer Factory and SCCA.

Just remember to stay within your comfort zone as to speed and tossing around your car. If you are nervous and beyond your comfort zone you will make a mistake.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are truly a poor college student then how do you have a Z?

Kidding aside, it depends on what you consider expensive. Track events in my opinion are pretty pricey and require a lot of funds to maintain your vehicle. I change my oil every 1 to 1.5K with race oil and bleed my brake lines every other event. Like 350znv suggested, Autox may be more economical for you but a full on road course is way better

I run with

NASA HPDE
Speedventures.net
Old 07-13-2005, 09:48 AM
StaticCling

My suggestion is to try a HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience). It will cost more then an autocross, but you will get more seat time. Start by looking for tracks around your area, and then check schedules. Email some of the car clubs that go, for example a PCA (porsche), BMWCCA, etc. Try to find an event that will have instructors and is held at a safe road course. By safe, try to find one with a lot of run off and not many obsticles.

Do a one day event, which you will need a helmet for but not much else. Before you go, check that your brakes have a decent amount of pad left and that your tires are in decent condition. Then based on this one time out, you can decide if you like it or not. Be careful though, because it is an expensive sport. An average one day HPDE will run around $150-200 or so.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:43 AM
aprikh1

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am leaning toward and HPDE or an Autocross event, so I guess I’ll do some more research and see what happens.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 AM
gregfeder

BMWCCA or Porsche Car Club are definitely some cheap fun schools. I'm a poor college kid too but luckily I convinced my dad to get into it as well. My dad is far from a car guy but he likes to drive... I'd say try and convince your parents to sponsor you!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been to racing schools and autocross regularly now.

I come off of some autocross courses literally shaking because of the adrenaline rush. Road racing is relatively tame in comparison, except for the first turn of a race.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Nano

+1 for BMWCCA and Porsche club

That's how i started, prices are very nice, the instructors and people you meet are great, usually these clubs track on the most beautiful track of north america etc...

note, most BMW clubs allow any car, most porsche clubs only allow porsches...
Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
John

The local PCA won't allow you to run unless you have a Porsche, and their events book up a year in advance. BMWCCA in the DC region is also quite restrictive due to the enormous local membership.

Having run and instructed with many groups, NASA (especially the Mid-Atlantic Region) is a great place to start. As already mentioned, you will need a helmet and a good attitude to get started. It also doesn't hurt to get a set of intermediate pads to start off as well.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by John
The local PCA won't allow you to run unless you have a Porsche, and their events book up a year in advance. BMWCCA in the DC region is also quite restrictive due to the enormous local membership.

Having run and instructed with many groups, NASA (especially the Mid-Atlantic Region) is a great place to start. As already mentioned, you will need a helmet and a good attitude to get started. It also doesn't hurt to get a set of intermediate pads to start off as well.
PCA NER will allow any car at their schools last time I checked

http://www.porschenet.com/

Boston BMW chapter is another one who has great schools

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/

Once a member, anyone can register for the schools, it's a first come first served basis from the date registration opens, always. There is no such thing as a backlog

Last edited by Nano; 07-13-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:25 PM
amolaver

add another opinion to the pot (do we have soup yet?)... try both autocross and HPDE. autocross is both tougher and easier on the car - you tend to have to rely on 1st or at least second gear a lot more, and also start from a dead stop more roughly than DE's. i'm also not sure how autox guys (stock class anyway) don't absolutely trash the outside edge of their front tires. with no camber adjustment, its got to be rough on them. HPDE's are generally much faster - you're on an honest-to-goodness race track vs a parking lot - and so brakes especially get beat up. tires take a good thrashing as well. and frankly, the risks are higher at HPDE's. at a race track, there are real walls, tire barriers and other fun items that can make a 'little' mistake quite expensive. OTOH, i find the rush of being on track much more enjoyable than autox, and you'll get LOTS of seat time. typical DE day will have 3-4 20 minute track sessions. most autoxes you get 4-5 runs, typically 1 minute each, and spend the rest of the day in the parking lot. which isn't all bad - there is usually some good people to BS with. but to get better / faster - seat time is king.

both have their die-hard advocates, but you'd probably do yourself a disservice if you don't try 'em both. stay within your comfort zone, adding speed incrementally, and you'll be fine at DE. go red-mist and try and 'keep up' or pass that guy who got by you, and you could have a big bill to replace wrinkled sheet metal at best. the instructors at DE's frankly, can be hit or miss. *MOST* are excellent. if you sign up for DE see if you can get a recommendation and request a particular person someone's had good luck with. since you're in my geographic area, i'd recommend you ask for john (the mod who commented above). he's pretty (!) familiar with the z, and is personable enough

ahm

Last edited by amolaver; 07-14-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:30 PM
John

Originally Posted by amolaver
the instructors at DE's frankly, can be hit or miss. *MOST* are excellent. if you sign up for DE see if you can get a recommendation and request a particular person someone's had good luck with. since you're in my geographic area, i'd recommend you ask for john (the mod who commented above). he's pretty (!) familiar with the z, and is personable enough
Who?

Thanks for the kind words Adam. As you mentioned, it really comes down to how you connect with your instructor (and vice versa) to extract the most out of your driving experience. Obviously some are better than others, but until you make that connection, you won't be able to optomize your learning curve. If you are intent on doing an HPDE in the area, let us know and we can recommend some good events to get started with...
Old 07-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by aprikh1
Hello everybody,

I had my Touring Z since January and after driving it on highways and byways for 6 months I am itching to learn the true limits of this excellent vehicle. I am located in Maryland and would be interested in some kind of local club racing event. I am a beginner when it comes to any kind of regulated racing and I was hoping that some of the racing gurus from this forum would be able to suggest an event that I could try. I am looking for something entry level and that would require as little money or equipment to start. Since I am a poor college student I am on a rather limited budget, so weekly tire changes and large track fees would be too cost prohibitive. Also, if any Maryland Z owners periodically hold meets I would be interested in attending, just let me know when and where. Thanks for any suggestions.
I agree completely that you should try both... AutoX is a great place to start, especially on a budget. Most are around $20 or $25 for a day... if you can find a group that runs an autoX 'school' you'll get some instruction and a little more seat time, but its a little more expensive. Also, like anything, the quality of events between organizations can very, so try a few different clubs as well. An experienced auto-crosser almost ALWAYS makes a better track driver... but not always vice-versa. If you're Saturdays or Sundays are free, you can get a lot of seat time by doing a lot of events. There is also one added benefit of AutoCross that HPDEs don't (and shouldn't) offer... and that is competition. That in-and-of itself can be addictive.

Having said all that... I personally prefer HPDEs (why I got started helping to organize them.) The initial outlay cost is more - but IMO if you looked at equal seat time, the costs would end up being about the same (i.e. 10 autocrosses = one of our HPDEs $-wise, but it would take about 20 AutoX's to come close to the amount of seat time you get at most HPDEs).

IMO, HPDEs are easier on your car, ESPECIALLY when you are just starting out. Most clubs offer a beginner group that focuses on getting comfortable with on-track driving and on-track protocol, while at the same time, you can drive at your own pace. Most street tires should last at LEAST three or four HPDEs when you are starting out. Brake usage depends on the track and your driving style mostly, however with the speeds involved, they are probably the most important thing in having a good time at an HPDE.

Most autocrosses throw you in on your own unless you request someone to ride with you... and if you don't know anyone there, that can be a PITA. At an HPDE you will (or should at least) have an instructor with you in the car as well as classroom sessions to attend where you'll get even MORE instruction!

What I'm getting at - is if you want a day of drag-racing through a sea of oranges cones (and a LOT of standing around on hot asphalt in a parking lot or runway somewhere), then start with AutoCross.

If you want a weekend that will wear you out mentally and physically while at the same time coming away with a new respect for your car AND your own driving abilities... then save up for an HPDE.

Our group runs two events up at VIR (www.virclub.com) in February and April... we'd love to have you join us. Our next one this year is in Rockingham, NC - probably a good six hour drive for you from MD - but if you're jonesin... www.timetrials.net

Stacy King
HPDE Coordinator
Triangle Z Club / Tarheel Sports Car Club
North Carolina
Old 07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, I don't know about elsewhere, be we welcome novices (and give them as much help as they want) to our autocross events here in Oregon Region. I know that it is the same for Western WA clubs and Tri-Cities.

Yes, you won't get as much seat time at most of our events, but I know that Tri-Cities run full-day events, and I've regularly gotten seven-to-ten one-minute+ runs there. Oregon Region's last two events at Packwood, WA would have given you somewhere around 29 runs (of about a minute each) had you run all runs both days.

HPDEs are a lot of fun, but they can be tough on tires, brakes, and the engine -- not to mention the driver. Speed can be addictive, and it can be tough to slow down to normal street speeds after being on the track. I don't like the idea of risking my daily driver for track events, but some people don't have any problems with that.

I've found autocrossing to be a bit more relaxed, you play and work (not everyone likes that), the risk to the car is less, and the driver skills you learn are applicable to daily driving as well as track driving.

Try both, and see which you like better. Personally, I like both but for significantly different reasons.