Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Tires for Time Trial National

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tires for Time Trial National

I am open for any suggestions on tire options. I am leaning toward Kumho V710, but there's a catch. I will have to drive to the track, about 70 miles up I-25, on Sat. and Sun. and compete on the same tires. I don't care if they won't last after the weekend, but do you think they will survive long enough with the trip nd competition? I understand they need to be shaved to perform well in the dry, but might forgo doing that with such a long drive... any thoughts? I am competing against a RX-8 who does well in auto-x and is also on V710. Sat. is the Regional and Sun. the National. I am familiar with the track, but I imagine so is he, so I don't want to be at a disadvantage with tires, but it won't do any good to have the V710's shot by the time i travel back up to the track on Sun. either. Anyone have a thought or suggestion on tire choice to share? Think the V710 will hold up with so much interstate travel? Should I still get them shaved? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i need to get these ordered by this weekend, as the race is Oct.15 & 16.
Will
Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

710s don't need shaving, they already have no tread except for the two "measurement" grooves.

However if you have 17s, you might consider VictoRacer V700s. They have tread, you can get them shaved, and they should last to-and-from without scaring yourself if there's any rain.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
710s don't need shaving, they already have no tread except for the two "measurement" grooves.

However if you have 17s, you might consider VictoRacer V700s. They have tread, you can get them shaved, and they should last to-and-from without scaring yourself if there's any rain.
I would go with the Ecsta 700 instead, people have told me they are better for track use and higher powered cars than the Victoracer, but lack turn-in feel comparatively, making the Victoracer better for auto-x imo. Either tire would make the trip and be sticky, but I don't think either will be competitve with Hoosiers or the V710, and I can't afford to be at a disadvantage with regard to tires. I just have my doubts about the V710 or hoosiers surviving the interstate travel in between trials, and both manufacturers told me not to use them on the highway, but mostly because of impracticality and safety issues in case of rain, but neither could tell me if they will physically last long enough due to wear or heat cycle issues... Kumho suggested to simply mount them on seperate wheels and change at the track like most people do- but I can't swing that big of a purchase right now. Any thoughts?
Will
Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I always found the Ecsta V70A a bit too "heat-sensitive." Anything over about 70 degrees ambient, and they started to get pretty slippery. They seemed to work best cold.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Resolute

I really appreciate your input, thank you.
The Tire Rack seems to think that 70 miles each way, over two days, will be too much for the V710 to handle and still be competitive. I think then, either the V700 or perhaps ADVAN's A048. I don't suppose you have any experience with the ADVAN's? They both seem to be excellent R-compounds, but not as competative as something like Avon's Tech R, Kumho V710, Hoosiers, etc.. the track should allow me to use the Z's better power to help compensate over the RX-8's handling..
anyhow, you'd reccomend the Victoracer's over the Ecsta's then? Thanks again,
Will
Old 09-21-2005, 03:36 PM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you ulitmately looking for? If you want to win races you will need to go with the 710's or hoosiers. If you want to drive to and from events you will need a lesser tire. Have you considered the toyo RA1's? They will be close to the V700/victoracer in terms of lap times (when shaved or worn down) and they can be driven to and from the track. They don't seem to overheat cycle and some people even drive them as their street tire.
They will last you about twice as long as the V700's as well so bang for the buck is the best.
I don't see any reason to get the Yoko's over any of the aforementioned tires. They're slightly slower and will give you less heat cycles than the toyos.
I say this from personal experience of use of V700's and the toyos. Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Resolute

Daveh, thanks for the response, every time you post there's useful information and always a help.
I'm not looking for longevity, I want grip. I would have the 710's on in a heartbeat if I didn't have to drive so far to the event, 70 miles each way over two days, plus the competition. Kumho, TireRack, local shops.. all keep telling me it is a waste to use these instead of some good R-compounds, like the RA-1. I could care less if it is a waste, but they won't say for certain if they'll physically still be competitive after the long interstate travel. They all seem to think it will wear the tire to much running it that long on the highway, not to mention the obvious waste of a heat cycle. If they won't be any good after the event, I don't care, but they won't be doing me any good if the 710's are to worn or hard by Sun. to be competitive much less safe to drive home on. If that's the case, then I'll just have to sacrifice ultimate grip and go with the 700, or RA-1, Pilot Sport Cup or whatever I can find. I mentioned the ADVAN's because they are closeout and dirt cheap right now. I know my competition's lap times and I don't stand a good chance to be competitive without V710's or Hoosiers (unless it rains), but like I said, the drive might be too much for them to handle.
I would love to have someone say, "I've done it, you'll be fine, just don't plan on racing with them again but they'll be plenty sticky on Sun. and get you home without being on the cords", or "hell no, by Sun. they'll be hard and worn and not any better than if you'd just put on 700's to begin with, and those will at least get you home with some tread to spare." Right now, everyone I mentioned previously has said, "well... I guess it might work, but hard to say... depends really.. I don't recommend it of course.. etc."
Will
Old 09-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Lucino

Originally Posted by NINJA-Z
Advan Neova
the treads look attractive and Tirerack does have them
Old 09-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

The Advans are supposedly the best in its class...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Resolute

Neova's? they wouldn't be at all competitive, but thanks for the reply. I was considering between race compounds, not high performance street tires.
Will
Old 09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
merlot350Z

Default Kumho tires

We have two years of racing on the 710 Kumho's and they are great tires. The drop off is marginal and you can get 7 to 8 heat cycles on the track until you notice a drop off and even then its not huge. Dont drive on the highway on race tires. Ever. We just happen to have a few sets of 5 to 7 lap qualifiers in 18" size that might become available should you need a set. We also have a set with 4 laps qualifying and about 14 laps of racing.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by merlot350Z
We have two years of racing on the 710 Kumho's and they are great tires. The drop off is marginal and you can get 7 to 8 heat cycles on the track until you notice a drop off and even then its not huge. Dont drive on the highway on race tires. Ever. We just happen to have a few sets of 5 to 7 lap qualifiers in 18" size that might become available should you need a set. We also have a set with 4 laps qualifying and about 14 laps of racing.
I really appreciate your response and information. I would like to run the V710's, but had a hard time finding them available in the sizes I need. I have stock 17in rims. I figured i would just risk it and drive to the event on them and count them off *** done after Sunday's competition, however, I couldn't secure a set of 225's or 235's. So, I bought some ADVAN A032R's in the soft compound. They were on closeout, about 140 apiece for 235 front and 245 rear. That's about as much rubber as I can squeeze on those rims! I'll have them shaved the day before and see if I can compete. Thanks again for the info,
Will