Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Serious Track Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 08:15 AM
C Ray Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Track Setup

I was a new driver two years ago and have been adding suspension part mods over this time. I was very happy with the EVO camber arms . I have just gone to 700 lb T2 springs and WOW what an improvement. 4seconds faster at Thunderhill. High speed turns I was 20mph faster and one gear up.The body movement was eleminated. This instability was very unsettling on high speed turns. The car is now very stable for both slow and fast turns. I am a real happy camper. I also use this as my daily driver and tow a trailer to the track with my gear. It is very firm around town with the many patches in the pavement but I drove up from San Carlos to Thunderhill and found it fine for freeway driving. I would reccomend this setup to any serious track guy.

350EVO sways,links, chamber arms and torsion bars, Koni SA shocks full stiff, and the T2 springs. Camber set -3.0 front, -2.5 rear
Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the hot track setup. A little stiff for everyday probably, but its a small price to pay for speed.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like what my Z will look like ! :-)
Old 10-04-2005, 06:16 AM
twenzel

Originally Posted by C Ray Z

350EVO sways,links, chamber arms and torsion bars, Koni SA shocks full stiff, and the T2 springs. Camber set -3.0 front, -2.5 rear
uh... The Z has "torsion bars?" What are you talking about?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
uh... The Z has "torsion bars?" What are you talking about?

Well, even EVO350 doesn't call the part what it it is. EVO sell's it as a lower control arm, that's the part he's talking about. The FSM defines is correctly as a radius rod. Other's sell it as a traction arm or as a adjustable toe arm.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by C Ray Z
I was a new driver two years ago and have been adding suspension part mods over this time. I was very happy with the EVO camber arms . I have just gone to 700 lb T2 springs and WOW what an improvement. 4seconds faster at Thunderhill. High speed turns I was 20mph faster and one gear up.The body movement was eleminated. This instability was very unsettling on high speed turns. The car is now very stable for both slow and fast turns. I am a real happy camper. I also use this as my daily driver and tow a trailer to the track with my gear. It is very firm around town with the many patches in the pavement but I drove up from San Carlos to Thunderhill and found it fine for freeway driving. I would reccomend this setup to any serious track guy.

Are your Koni custom valved or are they standard? Are the srping rates of the T2 springs 700 all around?

you setup looks a lot like what I have already and where I plan on going...

wilwood 6f/4r
17" track wheels
K&N cai
injen SES
grounding kit

Just started lapping this year and I'm getting upgraded suspensions for next year.

Last edited by Nano; 10-04-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Gsedan35

Nismo T2 350Z Linear springs 1”/1” drop
Spring rates in LBS 625/700
Old 10-04-2005, 06:27 PM
C Ray Z

Default Std Sa Konis

I am running the shocks full stiff. I am also running the sway bars at mid. this gives me best balance. This is in combination with 17" wheels and 275x40 x17 Kuhmo tires
Old 10-05-2005, 08:15 AM
430ztt

anyone have a link to these T2 springs? Im not familiar with them
Old 10-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Nano

nissan performance has them.. don't know who else..

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=2591
Old 10-05-2005, 12:33 PM
mavtais

Your camber set up is definite for race purpose only. That is a little too much camber for everyday driving. Unless you take every turn hard (like most of us here ) you are going to put a little extra wear on your inside tire traction. Of course you probably already knew that.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:14 PM
C Ray Z

Default Still a daily driver but low milage

Yes the wear is a problem. I remount my tires to streatch the distance but I only drive 4 miles to work. This car is drifting to a deticated track car in the next year or so. Tire milage is not an issue with me.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Nano

are there some readily available linear springs a bit less hardcore than the T2 springs?

625/700 equals 11.2kg/mm - 12.5kg/mm = pretty much undriveable on the steets were I live.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Nano
are there some readily available linear springs a bit less hardcore than the T2 springs?

625/700 equals 11.2kg/mm - 12.5kg/mm = pretty much undriveable on the steets were I live.
The stiffest linear spring you can go with are the spring's Tokico supplies with their D-spec shock and spring package, rates are 6.7Kg/6.7Kg , Tein and RSR do offer higher rear linear rates (7.2Kg and 7.4Kg respectively), but the Tein's are front progressive with the S-tech's and the RSR linear front rate is 6.2Kg.

Their is a way to convert the Koni shocks into coilovers and run your choice of linear spring, something that I'm still ironing out the bugs on, glad I did not opt for 9Kg rates.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nano

Some of you guys may blanche, but I've had tremendous success with the Tein Basics. Probably the cheapest coilover setup available. 500lbs linear springs all the way around I believe. The car was still liveable on the streets. I managed to get down to race speed on these spring and struts at my home track (Blackhawk) and found them a very solid performer. I really can't find one fault with them.

They performed the best on the larger tracks. But they were very capable on the smaller ones too. I've run over rumble strips at Road America, come into Gingerman's 5 & 6 completely sideways on the ABS, gone into a 4 wheel drift entering the boot at Watkins Glen and everything in between and the handling recieved my inputs without hesitation or becoming unsettled.

I don't think they would hold a candle to the T2's here, but for the money, and excellent performer. The smoother you are the better they perform, but they are relatively forgiving even for a noob. If I was going to continue to track the Z, I would probably drop the rear spring rate about 50lbs.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
The stiffest linear spring you can go with are the spring's Tokico supplies with their D-spec shock and spring package, rates are 6.7Kg/6.7Kg , Tein and RSR do offer higher rear linear rates (7.2Kg and 7.4Kg respectively), but the Tein's are front progressive with the S-tech's and the RSR linear front rate is 6.2Kg.

Their is a way to convert the Koni shocks into coilovers and run your choice of linear spring, something that I'm still ironing out the bugs on, glad I did not opt for 9Kg rates.
ar you sure about the tokico rates? It seems a bit on the soft side... it converts to 375lb/in which is softer than stock I believe.

couldn't find any info on tokico website about springs

Last edited by Nano; 10-06-2005 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:55 AM
ALong

Nano, I occassionally take my T2 racecar on the street for quick trips to 7-11 or Starbucks (I left the cupholder in) and with shocks that are corrrectly valved for the T2 springs, the car rides better than it did on the OEM springs/shocks! The key is to get a shock that is valved for the spring. Dont know where you are driving but here in Seattle we have some of the worst roads, the only states that I have seen worse road conditions were in PA and NJ.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:59 AM
dnguyent

ALong,

What shocks do you run...Koni Yellows too?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:04 PM
ALong

dnguyent,
we use JRZ double adjustable.

http://www.theracersgroup.com/parts/...cks/shocks.htm

The shocks we currently use do not have the remote resevoir otherwise they are exactly the same as the ones in the link above
Old 10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
dnguyent

Red face

Originally Posted by ALong
dnguyent,
we use JRZ double adjustable.

http://www.theracersgroup.com/parts/...cks/shocks.htm

The shocks we currently use do not have the remote resevoir otherwise they are exactly the same as the ones in the link above
I see the racersgroup sells the Aluminum Eyelet DA Dampers for $1025 each. Are there any modifications or other costs associated with fitting something like this up to the Z33? The site seems to indicate that they have bolt-on set-ups, so I assume I just buy the T2 springs, fit them onto the shocks, and then install them in on the car?

I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about these higher end setups since I may pull the trigger in a year or two. I can justify a heavier investment in the suspension by leaving the engine completely stock.

BTW, has anyone fitted up the Motons that 350evo sells? I can't tell whether it's $5700 per set of four or each, and am a bit embarrassed by this naivity...

Quick Reply: Serious Track Setup