Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Serious Track Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 04:11 PM
ALong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JRZ shocks that we use are made specifically for the 350Z. The Non-remote resevoir DA shocks are about $3400 for a set. Then you need to add your own springs. If you are using T2 springs then you have to have a custom spring perch made for the front shocks, cost about $350. Otherwise they are a direct bolt on, and fit the OEM nissan upper shock mounts. Call Speedware Motorsports 425-869-5680 if you are interested in the JRZ's, they worked with JRZ to build the first set of 350Z shock for my car and also had the spring perches built.

The Motons are $5500 for the set of 4, they dont come with springs so you have to add that cost in as well.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Moton club sport sytem is out now, here's a link. (in case the system scrambles the link it's 350zmotoring, search back to march of 05 in the autocross section for Moton ) http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24459

TcKline has DA Koni's right now, they have seperate rebound and compression adjustability. But, they sure look like reworked twin tube SA's, hmmm. I hope they shortened the piston rods, at least in the front. http://www.tcklineracing.com/nonbmw.htm
Old 10-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by ALong
The JRZ shocks that we use are made specifically for the 350Z. The Non-remote resevoir DA shocks are about $3400 for a set. Then you need to add your own springs. If you are using T2 springs then you have to have a custom spring perch made for the front shocks, cost about $350. Otherwise they are a direct bolt on, and fit the OEM nissan upper shock mounts. Call Speedware Motorsports 425-869-5680 if you are interested in the JRZ's, they worked with JRZ to build the first set of 350Z shock for my car and also had the spring perches built.

The Motons are $5500 for the set of 4, they dont come with springs so you have to add that cost in as well.
I remember reading up on the company when you first got them, I was impressed with what I read. Like the Moton's, I just wish the good stuff wasn't priced like it is.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:37 PM
ALong

Just FYI, Jerome, the "J" in JRZ, left JRZ and started Moton, that is why both JRZ and Moton shocks look very similar. All three founders of JRZ (cant rember the names of the "R" and "Z") came from Koni raceshocks....
Old 10-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
TcKline has DA Koni's right now, they have seperate rebound and compression adjustability. But, they sure look like reworked twin tube SA's, hmmm. I hope they shortened the piston rods, at least in the front. http://www.tcklineracing.com/nonbmw.htm
TCKline is based 10 minutes from my home. I was at their place this week to discuss a DA damper+spring+perch solution for the 350Z. The dampers are not reworked SA's, they are a variant of the competition stuff Koni has (I'm not sure of the part number, so I won't guess and misslead you). Using OEM spring locations, the setup will allow for some ride heigh adjustability.

The plan is to have a serious track setup wich is still streetable. I'm working hard to get consistent lap times this week-end at Putnam Park on my stock Z so we can have a future base line for the setup.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:23 AM
jmark

The Moton club sport sytem is out now, here's a link. (in case the system scrambles the link it's 350zmotoring, search back to march of 05 in the autocross section for Moton ) http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24459

Rob Hines is running the TC Kline DA shocks & T2 spring combo on his T2 350Z. I am sure he could answer any questions you have on them. He Q 4th in T2 at the Runoffs.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Kolia
TCKline is based 10 minutes from my home. I was at their place this week to discuss a DA damper+spring+perch solution for the 350Z. The dampers are not reworked SA's, they are a variant of the competition stuff Koni has (I'm not sure of the part number, so I won't guess and misslead you). Using OEM spring locations, the setup will allow for some ride heigh adjustability.

The plan is to have a serious track setup wich is still streetable. I'm working hard to get consistent lap times this week-end at Putnam Park on my stock Z so we can have a future base line for the setup.
Thanks for posting I really appreciate it. If it's not a reworked off the shelf SA core, then did they go to a monotube design? And did they mention if they shortened the piston shaft length's?

If they use 50mm bodies in the front I already have lower spring mount's worked out.

And thank you jmark for the heads up.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:20 AM
jmark

You are welcome. Rob is a great guy and I am sure willing to help the Z guys out. PM him or email him at robert.m.hines@gmail.com
Old 10-10-2005, 08:32 AM
daveh

The motons never came to surface. The TCKlines are what he used on his T2 350Z car, so they have TC's custom valving. They're similar to my truechoice but they're built in holland at the koni factory (since he placed a large enough order) thus they're much less expensive. Perhaps they're built better too since I've had problems with 3 out of my for truechoice shocks. Our local T2 driver has these as well. At $419, they're an outstanding value.

I agree with ALong, as long as you have the right shocks, the T2 springs are liveable on a daily basis (for a sporting driver). I was trying to work with the racers group on the JRZ's before I got my shocks but I got the impression that since I wasn't a rich porsche owner they weren't interested in doing busienss with me. The price ALong mentioned for the JRZ's seems like a great deal.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Gsedan35

I just spoke with TcKline. This is the jest of the conversation.
The shocks are a double adjustable version of the SA shock design that are made by Koni in volume to TcKline specs. Internally they use the same construction as the SA's and have the same low pressure twin tube design. They differ, beside's the DA aspect, in that their valving rates have zero in common with the Koni SA shocks, they have a second grove cut in the front bodies that is 1" lower vs Koni SA's which feature a second grove that is 1/2" higher. When asked if they used shorter front piston shaft length's, he did not know the answer, pretty sure they are the same as Koni SA's in that regard. He mentioned that they've run their shock with spring rates as high as 800lbs.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever happened to Advanced Design? They used to offer DA dampers with custom Eibach springs, for around $400 apiece. I know they recieved very good reviews from several BMW and Sentra SE-R cup racers, but the website they used to have is no longer around. I shot an e-mail to Ground Control about them, but never recieved a response.
Will
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Resolute
What ever happened to Advanced Design? They used to offer DA dampers with custom Eibach springs, for around $400 apiece. I know they recieved very good reviews from several BMW and Sentra SE-R cup racers, but the website they used to have is no longer around. I shot an e-mail to Ground Control about them, but never recieved a response.
Will
I talked to them awhile back. While they did R&D a 350Z with the shocks, they felt that due to the way the rear springs adjusted height, that their was no point in bringing the sytem to market and they had zero interest in investing additional R&D time to make a better rear height adjustment sytem. Which is also the reason they don't offer their sleave coilovers either.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 10-10-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:02 PM
daveh

I talked to them awhile back. While they did R&D a 350Z with the shocks, they felt that due to the way the rear springs adjusted height that their was not point in bringing the sytem to market and they had zero interest in investing additional R&D time to make a better rear height adjustment sytem. Which is also the reason they don't offer their sleave coilovers either.
I spoke with them as well and it just seemed strange to me. Plenty of cars (BMW comes to mind) have inboard springs like the Z. They weren't even interested in selling me just shocks to be used with T2 springs. Oh well, I'm quite happy with what I ended up with.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Rob Hines

As Mark metioned, I have been running the TC Kline / Koni shocks on my 350Z with the T2 spring / Sway bar combo. Before buying TC's shocks, I spent time on the phone with a friendly engineer from Koni discussing pros and cons of TC's sport-based shocks vs. some of their "race-only" applications. The engineer steered me towards the sport-based shocks because in real world testing, they are better able to deal with slop in the supension casued by stock rubber bushings than the "race-only" shocks.

I've been very satified with the valving and adjustment range on the shocks and think that they represent a great value.