Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Beware - Harbor Freight Track Trailer Users - Loose Hitch Nuts

Old 12-01-2005, 01:06 PM
tomzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware - Harbor Freight Track Trailer Users - Loose Hitch Nuts

Beware - Harbor Freight Track Trailer Users - Loose Hitch Nuts

If you use one of the small Harbor Freight trailers as the foundation for your Z track trailer, beware of a hardware weakness that can cause damage to you, your Z or another vehicle.

The nut that is on the trailer neck coupler bolt, that squeezes the hitch ball in place, may not be a locking nut. You have to look under the trailer neck hitch coupler piece to see the nut on the ball squeezer bolt mechanism. Mine came with a plain (non- locking) nut. Most trailer hitch neck couplers have a locking nut on this bolt for the ball squeezer so that it does not COME LOOSE WITH USE. The plain nut on my (and maybe yours) Harbor Freight Trailer base loosened with light use and when I hit a pot hole on the highway, the trailer neck popped off the z hitch ball, scraped down the road, and banged into my bumper when I slowed to a stop. All and all, a rather nauseating site and sound show. The safety chains saved me from more serious damage and the hit on the Z bumper only left a small scratch. It could have been much worse.

The remedy is to replace the nut with a locking nut, or to use “lock nut” glue with the existing nut. A good stainless locking nut will only cost about $2, and Lock Nut costs $5-$6. You can also double up on your nuts and use two locking nuts.

Beware – look under your Track Trailer Coupling hitch and check your nuts.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Originally Posted by tomzz
check your nuts.

But seriously, that sucks. I plan to get this trailer eventually, so thanks for the heads up...
Old 12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/130510-harborfreight-trailer-failure-need-some-advice-asap.html

Never again will I touch a HF product.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John

Never again will I touch a HF product.
I understand, John, but their racing jacks are great!

That said, IF you use their trailer, replace ALL hardware!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM
DriveI65

Thanks for the heads up. I've went over the trailer tightening nuts a couple of weeks ago but never looked inside the hitch. Maintenance is an absolute must with this trailer.

I agree that the quality is less than average. Made in China as cheeeeeep as it can be. But, you get what you pay for. After all the miles I've hauled this year I could toss it and still feel I got my money.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
I understand, John, but their racing jacks are great!

That said, IF you use their trailer, replace ALL hardware!
Actually their racing jacks suck too. They replaced my first one under warranty. When it broke 3 months later, they told me that they no longer have the parts to fix them and they sent me a check to my suprise. Just picked up a jack at costco that served me well last weekend.
I'd like to replace the cheap hubs on my trailer. I can't get one of them to stop leaking grease.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:18 PM
DriveI65

I lost one and had to use one from NAPA that fot loose. Clean the area very well and use electrical tape to fasten it. I put two strips across the face and down to the hub and then added strips around the edge to secure them. This kludge has worked since May and holding without leaks.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Richard Rydberg

Default Thank You on coupling nut

I looked at my new trailer and noticed the nut on the coupling was not a lock not. I found mine was metric and I think it was a 1.75 X 12mm.

Also on the trailer I found grease fittings on the wheel hub which I greased. I am also considering getting bearing buddies for the wheels.

I am going on a 300 mile trip so I hope everything holds up.

Rick near Boston.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:04 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

That sucks, that link posted was scarier because his was metal failure. Nice job on being prepared, were the chains hooked in or were you using locking rings? Either way poor job on HFs part.

You can also use a lock washer on the hitch nut which might help with keeping it snug.

Always remember the torque on the hub nut should not be overkill...only just snug so there is no play in the assembly. This is to account for expansion otherwise your bearings may seize or explode lol.

And I probably would replace the provided bearings off the bat as a precaution.

Last edited by guitman32; 08-14-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

My HF racing jack leaks.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Harbor Freight is the epitome of "you get what you pay for."
Old 08-14-2014, 11:35 PM
guitman32

Like navigating the shallows, Harbor Freight is a maze that must be tread with care.

You just have to determine if the convenience and price is worth it. I have good an bad experiences but you just have to use your head. Plus there is all the other stuff it just makes sense to get regularly from HF if you use the coupons...5mil and 9mil latex gloves, their blue mechanic gloves, nobody likes to work with dirty gloves, zip ties, misc hardware - stainless screw assortments regularly on sale - yes ive tested their stainless even in marine environments it holds up. I could go on and on, but have had bad experiences also. Never ever buy an electrical tool from HF without an extended warranty if you intend to keep it, and with things like trailers I dunno the hitch nut coming loose is really borderline I hate to say it, not saying it shouldnt have come with a lock washer or locking nut, but the link posted with the metal shearing is completely unacceptable. But as I said I know enough about the perils of towing that there would be a whole lot I would do before trusting a HF trailer out of the box.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, people were modifying this thing to haul a 3000-4000 lb car... That's brave, if not a little foolish. More than doubling the weight it was intended to carry. I can imagine it might sheer off at the tongue.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Wow, people were modifying this thing to haul a 3000-4000 lb car... That's brave, if not a little foolish. More than doubling the weight it was intended to carry. I can imagine it might sheer off at the tongue.
Nobody said they were hauling a car with the HF trailer.

Last edited by guitman32; 08-18-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I wouldn't count on a HF vice grip...
Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Nobody said they were hauling a car with the HF trailer.
Sorry, I did a quick search and saw that comment in another forum that mentioned people were modifying this trailer as a "base", and assumed he did the same.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Carfreak70852

I have now used my HF trailer to go to 3 events. I did make sure every nut and bolt was extremely tight when I was putting the thing together.

I also repacked the bearings (so much that some came out of the dust caps).

I also have the trailer with tiny wheels. It has cruised at highway speeds (and sometimes above) for over 1000mi now. Well worth the investment to me.

The important thing to do is check the bolts multiple times. I have coilovers on my car and it makes the trailer see that much more wear. You have to do some checking to make the thing last.