Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Solution for leaking differential breather

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 06:32 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveh
these are way to high class

I just put a 3' hose in place of the 1' hose that the brilliant nissan engineers ran from the diff. We'll see if that will keep me from pissing fluid into the chassis. I'm hoping it flows back into the diff when things cool down. I'll put a catch can on if this doesn't do the trick.
Dave, I have a plan. Fly me out to the left coast & let me play on your new scooter for a day around La Honda, and I'll buy you the parts! & I'll even install them if you have access to a lift. Seriously, the parts are only about $50.00 + the brackets.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:44 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Originally Posted by StaticCling
I could not be happier with the install/fitment. Yes I received #3, and the diff leakage issue should now be solved. I was getting a minor amount of fluid on hot track days (>=90 degrees) with the stock VLSD and stock (non-nismo) diff cover. This year I have the nismo-diff cover and the catch can.

Next up, front brake cooling.

Thanks Bruce. Glad you're happy. I'll try to find some modeling styrofoam tomorrow for the brake ducts. I know what is needed, but making them is a different story. BUT, I have some VERY skilled friends.........
Old 03-19-2006, 06:51 PM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I had ambitious plans of doing a catch can and brake ducts this weekend. The sunny weather lured me to the hills. Ended up putting a hose on the car and calling it a day. There's always next weekend.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:14 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Update. 3 of us have each run 3 track days with the catch tanks and they have worked as hoped.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:07 AM
daveh

My nalgene bottle did the trick this weekend too. It caught about 1/4 cup of fluid. Normally, I'm pround of my 'workman' solutions and share the pics, but this one looks so bad I'm actually too embarrased to show it.
Especially after Enthuz's nice looking piece.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tag
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM
dnguyent

What size tubing shall I buy, and where are you guys getting the extra long tubes?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Thumbs up 1/4"

Originally Posted by dnguyent
What size tubing shall I buy, and where are you guys getting the extra long tubes?
1/4" hose at autozone or kragen does the trick. i got two feet (costs about $5), wrapped it around the subframe once and connecting it to the stock locations. took it to the track just this past weekend and no leaky
Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by n1cK!
1/4" hose at autozone or kragen does the trick. i got two feet (costs about $5), wrapped it around the subframe once and connecting it to the stock locations. took it to the track just this past weekend and no leaky
thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 AM
ekan350

I found some leaking on the diff (passenger side right above the drive shaft), does your diff. also leak on the passenger side? I plan to fix it with hose. Does any one has pix?

Well, I plan to start tracking my Z in couple months! Just for street driving, I couldn't believe the diff. already start leaking !
Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by n1cK!
Thanks for the detail on the hose size. I discovered I have the leak when I was changing the suspension last week. I'll install the hose when I change the fluid out next week.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 AM
OPTIMO

I'm going to try and adjust the clutch engagement point this weekend. I'm still nursing the last of my oem rotors/pads before I swap in the carbotech/centric stuff for VIR in 5 weeks. I plan on jacking up the car this weekend and taking a look at the diff for any leakage.

I'm running BG fluids in my trans and diff.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by ekan350
I found some leaking on the diff (passenger side right above the drive shaft), does your diff. also leak on the passenger side? I plan to fix it with hose. Does any one has pix?

Well, I plan to start tracking my Z in couple months! Just for street driving, I couldn't believe the diff. already start leaking !
all my leaking used to be on the driver's side only. this is where the hose leads to. if you are getting it on the passenger side, you need to investigate further as it could be a failing oil seal.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 AM
daveh

Guys, if your lsd is leaking due to overheating, it will come out of the overflow tube and be dumped into the chassis on the drivers side. You will see crusty oil flowing down in the area of the rear spring. If you are seeing oil on the pumpking itself, you have bad seals not an overflowing diff.
The side seals should be changed any time the flanges are removed. I learned this after taking my diff down a couple of times. Even thought the rubber is in good shape, there is a spring inside the rubber that is easly stretched out. The seal is $7 and is easily installed with the pumpkin on the car.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
ekan350

Thank you guys! I will get under my car to find out. I still couldn't believe it start leaking before I abuse it at the track! May be is time to turn it into st/track!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 AM
KAZ350Z

mine just leaked all over the pumpkin this weekend, and up until the last couple posts I was going to do the catch can, however is there a DIY for the seals or any advice??? the oil got all over my HKS ti so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what works the best to clean all of it up without being too harsh, especially on my exhaust? thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM
ekan350

The best oil degreaser is Purple Power, spary on it and wash it off w/ water. You can get it from Walmart or Kragen! Make sure you wear eye protection, they are strong!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:11 PM
KAZ350Z

Alright thanks, I just cleaned it off with soap and water and went for a normal drive and started leaking??? Anyone want to take a stab at what it could be??? is it still just really bad seals???
Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 PM
ekan350

Well, you need to wash it off completely to pinpoint the leaking area. Same situation here, yesterday, I wash it off and test drove it for 1/2 hour, but I don't see any new leaking. I plan to drive it for couple more days and see what happen. I will keep you posting!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:45 PM
KAZ350Z

I did that, and it looks like its mainly on the driver's side coming from the top of the pumpkin. I didn't have a chance to get it on the lift, and after driving for a little while it started leaking. I'm definitely thinking its a seal, unless the diff is cracked or something but that seems unrealistic.

Quick Reply: Solution for leaking differential breather