Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Data Acquisition in a Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Rob Hines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Acquisition in a Z

SCCA changed the T2 rules to allow data acquisition systems at the end of last year, so I recently bought a Race Technology DL-1. The box itself provides, speed and lat / long acceleration. Additionally I plan to log RPM, wheel speed, throttle position using the OEM sensors and steering angle using a string pot sensor. Is there anything else I should be logging?

Is anyone out there using a DL-1? Has anyone installed a data system on a Z before who is willing to share hints? I'm really interested in suggestions on where I should pick up signals from the OEM sensors.

Thanks,

-Rob
Old 02-09-2006, 04:17 PM
UnderPressure

Stock sensors:
Knock

Additional Sensors:
All 4 suspension arm travel
Brake line pressure
Old 02-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a DL1 and have the same dilema.

I wanted to use the existing steering angle sensor but I'm affraid it's patched into the CAN network. Acces to that is easy but then we need a CAN reader and find out which data stream is linked to what.

I had asked if anybody knew the harness connector P/N (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/164405-p-n-for-05-ecu-harness-connector.html) that finally pointed to what I want to build http://www.forgedinternals.com/store...cat=256&page=1

I haven't looked into it yet. If you do find that info, let me know and I might be able to make a pair of harnesses for way cheaper.

Have you got the video overlay license?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Rob Hines

I'll try to find out tomorrow if we can buy the ECU connector separately from the wiring harness and what the cost would be if it is possible. I guess that we will need both the male and female connector in order to pull the signal from the ECU while keeping the harness plugged in.

Have you thought about trying to get any of the data from the OBD-II port?

I didn't buy the video license. I have heard great things about trackvision (http://trackvision.net/) and will porbably go with their system after I become more comfortable with the DL-1

-Rob

Last edited by Rob Hines; 02-09-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although the DL1 can read OBD2 data, it doesn not have the software to interpret it. It's only a OS shell. Some guys at work where thinking of doing it but I haven't heard from them in a while. The OBD2 refresh rate is pretty low for data logging, it might not be optimal.

If we're lucky I might get the connectors for really cheap.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Rob Hines

I spoke w/ Nissan yesterday and the connectors are not available without purchasing the entire ECU wiring harness.

You mentioned that you might have in inexpensive source for the connectors. How would you be able to get them?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:44 PM
PunKidd

Hey all,
You should check out our product Cipher. It already has the ability to log ALL the sensors that you have mentioned including that pesky steering angle sensor (and many many more, like G-sensors, calc load, ignition advance…) at rates of almost 20 polls per second w/ 20 parameters at a time (much faster than OBDII).
You can see our parameter matrix Here.

Also,
We can source both ECU and harness connectors if you are really interested, but they have to be purchased in large quantities.
I'm not sure of the exact qty, but I think it was in lots of ~500

Jared@UpRev.com
Old 02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
amolaver

Originally Posted by Rob Hines
I spoke w/ Nissan yesterday and the connectors are not available without purchasing the entire ECU wiring harness.

You mentioned that you might have in inexpensive source for the connectors. How would you be able to get them?
how about calling someone like turboxs (the folks who make the UTEC piggy-back computer)? they obviously source the connectors for the UTEC, and are buying in significant quantity. they may be able to hook you up (ha ha - get it?). i'm so lame

ahm

ps dastek (the unichip people) may also be a good source...