Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

USAA dropped me!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
STRETCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jeff and thanks for everyone's suggestions,
Ironically, thats the exact setup I'm going for. I'm getting all my insurances for my cars, house and umbrella, through AAA and will get American Collectors Insurance (ACI) for the Z. We'll see if it works. You should PM me her name, It might be the same one :-) Incidentally, did you get the C5?

Best,
Adam
Old 02-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is total crap. I have USAA also and I was about to call them up and ask if I was covered at a driving clinic / untimed events.

hmm.... GUESS I SHOULD JUST FORGET ABOUT *THAT* QUESTION!

So do you think the safest thing to do would be to get supplemental coverage for track / driving clinic events and just not tell USAA if **** happens?

Can you get insurance for a single day?

Also, what happens if you hit someone on the track, or someone hits you? Assuming I can't go through USAA, does each person typically pay for his/her own car, or do you try to determine who was "at fault" and go from there?

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 02-21-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have state farm insurance and they cover HPDE's etc. However, they do not cover a timed event
Old 02-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't really want to switch insurance providers altogether. I just wonder if there is a supplemental 1-day coverage. I'll look into it I guess...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
PedalFaster

Originally Posted by JisNis
If you get into an accident at the track ask them to tow you outside of the track and file a police report away from the track.
As someone who's totaled a car at an autocross, I wanted to shoot down this oft-stated fallacy. Ethics of committing insurance fraud aside, it's a dumb idea. No insurance company is going to hand over a $20k check without a police report and/or doing some investigation of their own. In my case, my insurance company contacted the event chair and the site owner as part of their investigation.

Also, on a related note, never trust someone definitely saying "USAA covers this" or "USAA doesn't cover this" on the internet, as insurance policies vary on a state-by-state basis, and, as alluded to on this thread, are subject to interpretation by the adjuster.

Steve
Old 02-21-2006, 09:13 PM
STRETCH

Thanks for the input Steve. Incidentally, after totalling a car in autocross, what have you done for insurance? what are you covered for, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 PM
PedalFaster

Much to my shock, my insurance company covered my autocross accident, so I stayed with them, albeit with doubled premiums. I don't have any special insurance coverage.

I haven't read my policy recently, but I can't imagine I'd be covered if I crashed at an HPDE.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
dyezak

You might want to let USAA know that, yes you do race, however the USAA insurance is only for legality so you can drive it on the road, and that you know you can't make a claim for an incursion on the track. Then go on to inform them you have ACI for on track insurance, let them know you are only being honest and want to keep your busness with them. Also remind them you have a multi car policy with them and you WILL keep all your cars under one police, so if they drop the Z they loose all your busness. Geico has 0 problems insuring my vehicles even when I tell them I do track days with my bike (and they insure the bike). They just told me that if anything happens at the track they won't cover it.