Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

USAA dropped me!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 AM
STRETCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USAA dropped me!!

I was looking for an umbrella policy through USAA to protect my assets and one of the questions was "do you race?" I replied, "define race?" I proceeded to explain that I 'ocassionally' frequent HPDE's or Drivers Education and 3 hours later an underwriter from USAA said I have till June before they drop my Z off their policy! What do I do know??? First, I need an insurance policy for the car, cuz I don't trailer it, its still street legal (barely) and how does everyone on this board insure their car when they track? Im not necessarily looking for on-track insurance, Im already familiar with ACI and other company's. Do any of you have umbrella policies that race or track their car? Is my only option to start trailering the car? Any advice would really help!! Thanks so much!!

Stretch
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Zilvia

thats f'd up
Old 02-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Havok_RLS2

I have USAA. Just a friendly word of advice.. If any insurance company ever ask you if you race....

You say NO.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
jdm_Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol why did you say you race for, that's just asking for them to drop you...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:51 AM
STRETCH

I needed Umbrella insurance. If you don't tell them the thruth and you need to make a claim, whether you have a loss or not, they can drop all your insurance, not just the car. Do you have any useful info, or are you just gunna diss?
Old 02-19-2006, 11:26 AM
JisNis

Its true what they are saying. Thats the best peace of advice you can get. Say no when they ask you if you race. Its kinda obvious. You are a greater risk to them if you race. If you get into an accident at the track ask them to tow you outside of the track and file a police report away from the track.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:46 AM
STRETCH

I understand your guys point of view that you should just lie. It did cross my mind. However, knowing how intelligent some of the board memebers are, I figured you guys might have other solutions, not the most obvious one. When you have enough money that you need to protect your assets and your responsible for more than yourself, you have to consider alternatives to insurance fraud. Plus looking at my car, you wouldn't even consider it being a street car:

This is what USAA says:
The entire policy is void if, whether before or after a loss, the insured:
a. intentionally conceals or misrepresents any material fact or circumstance; or
b. makes false statements or engages in fraudulent conduct, relating to this insurance.

Any OTHER suggestions?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:14 PM
amolaver

not to add to your pain, but by definition, HPDE's are NOT races. there is no timing. there is scoring. there is no 'first place'. you're there to learn and have fun. the correct, 100% legal response to the question 'do you race' is NO. assuming of course, you really are only participating in HPDE-style events. even time-trials may be considered racing, as you are being timed, but that could still be considered a gray area.

ahm
Old 02-19-2006, 04:33 PM
merlot350Z

When you said you raced, what did you mean. Do you run NASA or SCCA or World Challenge? If you autocross USAA doesnt count that as racing. I dont know how they feel about track days.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:49 PM
excid182

damn that sucks man...USAA is the best insurance around...good luck finding one at the same price.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STRETCH
I needed Umbrella insurance. If you don't tell them the thruth and you need to make a claim, whether you have a loss or not, they can drop all your insurance, not just the car. Do you have any useful info, or are you just gunna diss?
Agree. Sorry about the debacle. If the company discovers that you lied on your application, they can drop you. If you tell then the truth, they will not insure you. You cant win.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:02 PM
zYouLater

Insurance Companys are in the game to make MONEY! To minimize risk, they will drop anyone who is a risk to their bottom line. You my friend are that risk. Remember those great famous words of Nancy Reagan "Just say NO"
Old 02-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take up an arguement with the company first. You have a few months to fight it. I'm sure its in the contracts that non-competition, non-timed events don't count as racing. If that wasn't the case, then just taking your car to the drag strip to run some passes would get you booted.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:18 PM
STRETCH

I know its a gray area, thats the problem. I even told the underwriters of USAA, exactly what I do...Non-timed, instructor based, drivers education. After the call, the underwriters spent an hour on the web looking up HPDE's. They then called me back and told me they could not insure this kind of activity or vehicle. They said they called me back as soon as they knew, so I would have time to find other insurance before my present plan expires. Thats why I was wondering what everyone in this gray area has done? Anybody have umbrella and full coverage insurance without having to misrepresent themselves?

Thanks for the help,
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

Save a little, buy a trailer and beater truck before june, then tell USAA to go F themselves.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 AM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USAA told me the same, I told them where to stick it. I said "I do not compete in timed racing with the car, but I do occasionally autocross and go to high performance driver's education events" - the compromise we came up with is that as long as they aren't exceeding legal highway speeds or being timed, it's ok. So that does rule out more than beginner run-group DEs but should give you a leg to stand on. Ask to speak to a senior underwriter, file a complaint, etc.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:32 PM
STRETCH

Thanks guys for your help...My wife has a Tahoe, so I might get a trailer, its a lot more hastle, but it might actually be cheaper in the end. Right now, I'm just thinking about going to another insurance company and listing my Z as a pleasure vehicle and then getting ACI for any on-track excursions. Its pretty rediculous to have full coverage on a Z that sees maybe 20 track days a year and rarely gets driven on the streets. I have 2 other cars with USAA and Im thinking of just getting rid of USAA altogether. They really pissed me off and I was just being honest. Anyone else with my dilemma?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 01:44 PM
J Ritt

Hey now, cut Stretch some slack. He's a stand-up guy, and obviously didn't want to lie or commit insurance fraud. I don't blame him!

Adam, I have one of those supplemental insurance policy through american collectors insurance: http://www.americancollectorsins.com/de_quali.htm

They have a drivers ed program. The policy has a 20% deductible, and you state the value of the car. For example, you say the car is worth $30K. If you destroy the car, you are responsible for $6000, they pay the rest. The idea is to protect against a total loss of the car. It's not going to give you every cent back for small incidents, but it will protect you from a total loss. The premium is 1.5% of the stated value. In this case, you would pay $450 for the whole year. It also protects against damage in the paddock, in transport if towing, etc.

I have had a policy with them for 1 1/2 years, but fortunately haven't had to exercise it. I have heard on the web that they DO pay when it comes down to it. They do not condone timing though. That's why I always run without a transponder at the track. You'll have to have someone time you, or get your own transponder, which is reasonably inexpensive (AIM units, etc.).

If you do go through them, let them know that I referred you. I think they have some sort of referral program that could get me a discount. Thanks.

As for general coverage, I use AAA insurance for my 2 cars and house. They have been easy to deal with and problem free...rates are competitive as well. I'll give you my agent's name if you want to talk to her.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Sly_Z

Try travelers or MetLife.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Stack

Do a search, we've covered this numerous times in various threads... here's one where after a quick google search I found a number of options:

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/170237-insurance-that-covers-track-events.html

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: USAA dropped me!!