Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels

I want the cheapest, lightest wheels possible for B Stock. I don't want any "I think" answers. If you don't know don't post. I want the opinions of the racers on here.

I know that the Enkei RPF1's are a good deal for as light as they are, but I cannot find any place that has them for a decent cost, and want to know the biggest I can run stock. 7.5" front and 8" rear?

Any intelligent insight is appreciated.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 PM
jun14scr

what do you think is decent? they are like $250-275. that's as cheap as you're going to get. a few of our vendors carry this wheel. the last i got quoted was for $251/wheel.

have i met you? i run in this area frequently, rarely in my car anymore, though.

enthusiast and base = 7.5"f 8"r
performance and touring = 8"fr
track = 8"f 8.5"r
Old 06-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by jun14scr
what do you think is decent? they are like $250-275. that's as cheap as you're going to get. a few of our vendors carry this wheel. the last i got quoted was for $251/wheel.

have i met you? i run in this area frequently, rarely in my car anymore, though.

enthusiast and base = 7.5"f 8"r
performance and touring = 8"fr
track = 8"f 8.5"r
You may have met me. I used to drive a B15 Sentra, and then a 1989 Honda Civic in STS. Me civic was black with silver Honda wings graphics on the sides, we may have met at the Pungo Airfield for Divisionals in VA?

Thanks for the info.

I was also under the impression that any trim 350Z could run ANY size stock rim. Basically, someone with a Base 350 could use the Track rims in stock class. That's how it works with other cars, expecially if they are classed together. All of the 350's are in BS, so it would be extremely unfair to have one trim use the large wheels and one trim use the smaller wheels!

I was thinking of looking for some Stock 350Z Track wheels as my race rims.....

Thanks for the response!

-Tony Ignatz
Old 06-18-2006, 01:02 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're impression is wrong, what model/year car do you have?

If it's pre 06 and enthusiast/base than jun14scr's numbers are correct. If it's an 06 the numbers are different. But the theory is the same.

You can't take a base model and run Track Wheels.

If your car came with 17s, RPF1s are your option, or get a custom setup built for around $2k and who knows how many months of waiting.

The different with "other" cars is that other cars have options for wheels, you could order different sized wheels. With the 350s you have to order a totally different package to get different wheels.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:11 PM
ULLLOSE

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I want the cheapest, lightest wheels possible for B Stock. I don't want any "I think" answers. If you don't know don't post. I want the opinions of the racers on here.

Any intelligent insight is appreciated.
Those two items do not go together, pick one, because you can find cheap or you can find light but not together.

A good light wheel will always cost top dollar. The good news is if you buy a good light wheel you only spend the money once.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by ULLLOSE
Those two items do not go together, pick one, because you can find cheap or you can find light but not together.

A good light wheel will always cost top dollar. The good news is if you buy a good light wheel you only spend the money once.
You are preaching general information to a non-noob. Thanks anyway.

I'm looking at my particular application, and choices. This offers no choices.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by christoc
You're impression is wrong, what model/year car do you have?

If it's pre 06 and enthusiast/base than jun14scr's numbers are correct. If it's an 06 the numbers are different. But the theory is the same.

You can't take a base model and run Track Wheels.

If your car came with 17s, RPF1s are your option, or get a custom setup built for around $2k and who knows how many months of waiting.

The different with "other" cars is that other cars have options for wheels, you could order different sized wheels. With the 350s you have to order a totally different package to get different wheels.
That's not true..... even edmunds.com states that the track wheels are an option for lower trim level 350's.

Besides, it would be incredibly unfair if it were any other way in regards to the SCCA.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:38 PM
ULLLOSE

That's not true..... even edmunds.com states that the track wheels are an option for lower trim level 350's.

Besides, it would be incredibly unfair if it were any other way in regards to the SCCA.
Make sure when you get protested for track wheels on a base car you tell them that Edmunds.com said it was ok.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 AM
Fluid1

Make sure when you get protested for track wheels on a base car you tell them that Edmunds.com said it was ok.
Being a dick in an online forum does you no good. It also doesn't help anyone.

Would you not think, as a rational human, that it is rediculously unfair to have different size rims for different trims in the rulebook? Say someone had a base 350, with no LSD and smaller rims. How in the blue hell would that person be competative with a Track model, while they are in the SAME CLASS of B Stock????

You previously stated that the rule was in place because you can't buy the track wheels with the base 350Z as an option. That is plain false, so check your information.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 AM
ULLLOSE

Being a dick in an online forum does you no good. It also doesn't help anyone.

Would you not think, as a rational human, that it is rediculously unfair to have different size rims for different trims in the rulebook? Say someone had a base 350, with no LSD and smaller rims. How in the blue hell would that person be competative with a Track model, while they are in the SAME CLASS of B Stock????

You previously stated that the rule was in place because you can't buy the track wheels with the base 350Z as an option. That is plain false, so check your information.
The rules are in place to keep someone from building a frankencar that is a light weight no option car with go fast bits from a higher model that may weigh more. Not every trim level can win, that is just a fact of life. Just make sure what ever combo you try to put together you have factory documentation, not 3 rd party stuff, to back it up. Also keep in mind dealer/port installed options/packages are not legal in SCCA comp only factory options.
Here is an example for you the Shinka pck RX8 has some stiffer body braces and a few minor suspension tweaks over the base car that most people run. However due to having every option made the car also weighs about 150lbs more. If we were allowed to pick and choose parts from other packages everyone would put the stiffer parts from the heavy car on the light weight base car. The rules don't allow that. Another example is the C5 Corvette is in SS with the C5Z06 Corvette. The Z06 has about 50 more hp, better geared trans, wider wheels, stiffer springs and swaybars yet they are in the same class. The standard C5 can not pick and choose any of the Z06 parts and is not competitive by a long shot, that is just a fact of life.
Now the good news is you can do a complete package conversion if you want to update to another package from the same year. That means every single part of a package no matter how mundane has to be converted to the specs that you want to convert to. You must also remove any parts that would not be available from you old package on the new one.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Fluid1

Now the good news is you can do a complete package conversion if you want to update to another package from the same year. That means every single part of a package no matter how mundane has to be converted to the specs that you want to convert to. You must also remove any parts that would not be available from you old package on the new one.
Well, let me thank you for the informative post. I appreciate it.

This part of it is the most interesting to me. Being that I drive a Base 350z, what exactly would I have to obtain to 'convert' it to a higher, more competative model?
Would I have to use all OEM nissan parts, such as the LSD? Would I also need the ABS and the traction control system?
I have been speaking to the powers that be in Topeka, and am doing my best to get a STU2 class going, for 350's, miatas, ect..... then trimline wouldn't matter as much, as it would be STS'like rules......
But currently I am working on my BS Tire class car, and it's not fun or easy!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:35 AM
jun14scr

hm... despite what you may think, a lot of the more competitive cars are the base and enthusiast models.

ps. i wasn't at a pungo divisional, but i was at the acu4. i was also at the huntsville div yesterday.

to know what you have to do to convert, find out all the differences between each model, which you can probably do by searching on the forum. those would be all the things you'd have to upgrade.

you would have to buy OEM parts and pay OEM prices. it's really not worth it.

to be a complete conversion, you need to do everypart.. which includes traction control. that's why a performance 350z can not 100% be converted into an enthusiast, because they run a diff traction control system.

stu2 would be an interesting class. i don't think the miatas would fit in there. they already are doing well in sts2.

were you at lowes yesterday?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:49 AM
ULLLOSE

Well, let me thank you for the informative post. I appreciate it.

This part of it is the most interesting to me. Being that I drive a Base 350z, what exactly would I have to obtain to 'convert' it to a higher, more competative model?
Would I have to use all OEM nissan parts, such as the LSD? Would I also need the ABS and the traction control system?
I have been speaking to the powers that be in Topeka, and am doing my best to get a STU2 class going, for 350's, miatas, ect..... then trimline wouldn't matter as much, as it would be STS'like rules......
But currently I am working on my BS Tire class car, and it's not fun or easy!
You have to use OE or equal parts, except gears and cams that must be OE only. They do allow stuff to be aftermarket but the key is it has to be the same as stock and offer no advantage as far as weight, hardness etc. The idea is you can go buy an OE replacement part at Pepboys or whatever palce it just cant offer a performance advantage over stock. On a package conversion everything has to be done. I don't know every part on you car.

Here is an example I can give you: a A Stock 96' Corvette with the 6spd trans gets the 330hp LT4 motor. If a guy wants to convert to the Grand Sport Pkg, 11" wide rear and bigger rear swaybar they must do the whole package.

6spd LT4 w Z51 suspension car has 330hp, 9.5" wide wheels with 275 tires all around other than that can be low option. A Grand Sport 6spd LT4 Z51 has the same except the rear wheels are 11" wide with 315 tires and the rear swaybar is 2mm thinker. Also has some cosmetic stuff, fender flares, sold roof, GS/CE front brake calipers, and must have dual leather sport/pwr seats. So the advantage is more rear rubber to put the 330hp down, but the disadvantage is a few more items that weigh more. Now if you want to covert your base LT4 to a GS you have to buy the 11" wheels, 315 rear tires, bigger rear sway bar, plastic stick on rear fender flares, GS brake calipers, dual power sport seats and solid roof panel. A GS with standard seats and glass top would not be legal as you could not get it that way from GM. Same thing if you left off the fender flares or did not upgrade the brakes. Got to be the whole package.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:08 AM
350Zteve

Get the Rota Nismo knockoffs. 18x9.5" and cost is low.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
Get the Rota Nismo knockoffs. 18x9.5" and cost is low.

Obviously you can't read very well.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by jun14scr
were you at lowes yesterday?

Yeah, I was at Lowe's. I did very well for the 400 treadwear tires I have, and no mods. Best run was a 50.2, it was a great autox.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Fluid1

You have to use OE or equal parts, except gears and cams that must be OE only. They do allow stuff to be aftermarket but the key is it has to be the same as stock and offer no advantage as far as weight, hardness etc. The idea is you can go buy an OE replacement part at Pepboys or whatever palce it just cant offer a performance advantage over stock. On a package conversion everything has to be done. I don't know every part on you car.

Here is an example I can give you: a A Stock 96' Corvette with the 6spd trans gets the 330hp LT4 motor. If a guy wants to convert to the Grand Sport Pkg, 11" wide rear and bigger rear swaybar they must do the whole package.

6spd LT4 w Z51 suspension car has 330hp, 9.5" wide wheels with 275 tires all around other than that can be low option. A Grand Sport 6spd LT4 Z51 has the same except the rear wheels are 11" wide with 315 tires and the rear swaybar is 2mm thinker. Also has some cosmetic stuff, fender flares, sold roof, GS/CE front brake calipers, and must have dual leather sport/pwr seats. So the advantage is more rear rubber to put the 330hp down, but the disadvantage is a few more items that weigh more. Now if you want to covert your base LT4 to a GS you have to buy the 11" wheels, 315 rear tires, bigger rear sway bar, plastic stick on rear fender flares, GS brake calipers, dual power sport seats and solid roof panel. A GS with standard seats and glass top would not be legal as you could not get it that way from GM. Same thing if you left off the fender flares or did not upgrade the brakes. Got to be the whole package.
Well, crap. That will be rediculously expensive. I suppose I shall race only locally with this car.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Fluid1

Yeah, I was at Lowe's. I did very well for the 400 treadwear tires I have, and no mods. Best run was a 50.2, it was a great autox.
Here's a video:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5...3c5f53af31.htm
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
jun14scr

um.. your car is fine for competing at any level, if you just set it up right. and by that i mean the modifications allowed in BS.

like i said, the base and enthusiast have been more competitive than the track model. don't let mikes car scare you. with the right shock set up + race tires + driver experience, your car be as equally competitive.

just bc it's not a track doesn't mean it's as fast. the cars have the same suspension. the only discernable difference is that the track models have brembos and that in itself isn't a big deal either. the LSD is dirt. the stock brakes with the right pads, even the stock pads, do their job very well. you have the advantage of being able to run a 17" r-comp. do it.

edit: just watched video.. mike ran his street tires? interesting.. i heard he didn't like his a6's very much. you should ride with him/ask him to ride with you. i'm not sure when the next ccr event i'll make it to will be, but you are always welcome to come up to the triad area and run with TSCC.

ps. everyone listen to mike's car.. that Ti exhaust is DIRTY!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
christoc

AFAIK there hasn't been a base model car competing Nationally, at least not at Nationals.

IMO the enthusiast is still the way to go, but Carter seems to finally have their Track sorting out a bit.

Quick Reply: Wheels