Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

350Z wins 145mph class in Silver State Classic!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
knight_white99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z wins 145mph class in Silver State Classic!

It was ME! Finally, on my third try, I won my class (145mph average speed class) at the Silver State Classic Challenge on Sunday, Sept. 17th.

Top speed for me during the race was about 163mph, and I never let my speed drop under 120mph for the entire 90 miles race distance. Exceeding 165mph would have gotten me disqualified or running less than 30mph under the target speed would have done the same thing. Very close competition in my class - the difference between 1st place and 3rd place was less than 0.25 seconds! This is kind of a "closest to the pin" competition. My average speed was 144.9725mph for 90 miles.

The car ran perfectly. I even drove it the 600 miles from Phoenix, AZ to Ely, NV and back!

Thanks to sponsors VRT, Rotora and Kogniton Design!

Lots of other cool cars there: A Lambo, a few Ferraris (an F40, an F430, and a 550), few Ford GTs, Vipers and Corvette Z06's, an Ultima GTR (with 1000hp!) and of course the Option 350Z from Japan (who broke, by the way in an event on Saturday and never even started the Sunday event).

Hope to see more of you 350Z folks out there next year! Go to www.sscc.us to check it out! (Results from this years' race will be posted in a few days)

Last edited by knight_white99; 09-19-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 AM
240zx

That's awesome! Big time congrats! That's something I've wanted to do forever! Can you tell us a little bit about your setup? Once again, Congrats!!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow-thats amazing-great job Can you list your mods?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome job man.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Zlayer

great job, that must be an adrenaline rush!! What other cars where in your class?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 AM
RBlover69

im really happy that there are Zs there representing ...we need a vid man im really proud of u guys out there i wish there was such thing as a top speed coruse in florida
Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
knight_white99

Thanks, guys.

Definitely an adrenaline rush to drive at that speed for that long. Nothing else quite like it.

My mods are too many to list completely. The big ones are: JWT twin turbo kit, PWR radiator and oil cooler, Crawford plenum, Nismo cams, Stillen exhaust, Hothckis sways, Rotora 14" brakes (6-pot front/4-pot rear), Tokico D-Spec shocks, Tom Motorsport springs, Kirk roll bar, Corbeau seats, SSR wheels and many more. But don't get the idea that you need all of these things to compete. There are lower classes for less highly modified cars. The main thing is what level are your safety mods (like harnesses and a roll bar) that will dictate what speed class you can race in.

Other cars in my class were some Corvettes, FD Mazda RX-7, Camaro, highly modified Ford Lightning pick-up.

There were some other cool cars there too, like a Lambo Diablo, several Ferraris (including an F40, an F430 and 550 Maranello), an Ultima GTR (with 1000hp!), a one of a kind McLaren, many Corvettes, Vipers, Mercedes, Mustangs, Jags, etc.

Last edited by knight_white99; 09-19-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
RBlover69

what was the highest top speed u where able to obtain....and ..what was the highest top speed obtained period. I often wondered what would the theoritcal top speed for a TT would be
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
MoodDude

Great win!

Now where are the pictures!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by RBlover69
what was the highest top speed u where able to obtain....and ..what was the highest top speed obtained period. I often wondered what would the theoritcal top speed for a TT would be
If you re-read my first post, you'll see that I hit 163mph (as measured by GPS).

However, in the class that I ran, I was limited to 165mph (any more and I would be disqualified since I do not have the safety gear for a higher speed class).

I also changed my rear gear to the A/T 3.357 for this race, so that dropped engine rpm at tops speed somewhat. I was running at about 5200rpm and 150mph most of the way. I figure that given my current power, rpm limit, aero and gearing, the car should be capable of an honest 200mph.

For the entire race, there were several cars in the 170, 180 and Unlimited classes that likely posted top speeds of over 200mph. Those are some serious speeds there.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
islandsnow

Congrats! Do you have any pics to post? Did you use any specific aero mods?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:53 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by knight_white99
...I figure that given my current power, rpm limit, aero and gearing, the car should be capable of an honest 200mph.

For the entire race, there were several cars in the 170, 180 and Unlimited classes that likely posted top speeds of over 200mph. Those are some serious speeds there.
Congratulations!!!

The SSCC is interesting. You pretty much need GPS to calculate the average speed and know the course to hone in on your target speed. Did you find that you had to slow down or speed up near the end to meet your target? Any plans to run the next class(es) up in the upcoming year(s)?

Also, at 145mph average, do you feel that you need some aero to keep the car stable? I've never driven at those speeds, but I can image how a stock'ish car with no aero modification might feel be a little light.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Steve! And a great testiment to the JWT TT on a stock motor. Testing doesn't get much more brutal than that. Drive from Phoenix to Ely (FAR AS HELL), then 90 miles at 120-160mph at an average of 5200rpms. Then drive back to Phoenix from Ely with no problems.

You have inspired me to take my Z out there next year .
Old 09-20-2006, 02:59 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Congrats Steve! And a great testiment to the JWT TT on a stock motor. Testing doesn't get much more brutal than that.
+10000
Old 09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Congratulations!!!

The SSCC is interesting. You pretty much need GPS to calculate the average speed and know the course to hone in on your target speed. Did you find that you had to slow down or speed up near the end to meet your target? Any plans to run the next class(es) up in the upcoming year(s)?

Also, at 145mph average, do you feel that you need some aero to keep the car stable? I've never driven at those speeds, but I can image how a stock'ish car with no aero modification might feel be a little light.
Yes, we had GPS onboard. Even had a back-up, plus two stop watches. I know how hard it is to win these events - we needed all the help and luck we could get.

We did have to adjust speed quite a bit after the Narrows. We had a plan to build up some time cushion into the Narrows then adjust speed depending on how fast we were able to go through the Narrows. You definitely need a plan for this race.

I had a pretty slick front lip spoiler for the race. Combined with lowering the car quite a bit, it helped to keep air from getting under the car and added some front downforce. The rest of the car had the Track model rear lip spolier and under body air smoothing parts. The Track model aero package is actually quite good at speed. Nissan claims zero lift at 150mph. The car was very stable even above 160mph - it never wandered or felt loose. I wanted to avoid a big wing since that adds too much drag.

I am hoping to move up to the Unlimited class in a VRT sponsored car next year if we can arrange it. I think a VRT twin turbo 350Z with about 800hp properly geared and set up could win that class, and maybe even make a run at the speed record (currently 207.8mph).
Old 09-20-2006, 07:10 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Congrats Steve! And a great testiment to the JWT TT on a stock motor. Testing doesn't get much more brutal than that. Drive from Phoenix to Ely (FAR AS HELL), then 90 miles at 120-160mph at an average of 5200rpms. Then drive back to Phoenix from Ely with no problems.

You have inspired me to take my Z out there next year .
Thanks, Mike! Sure would be good to have you out there next year. Once you try it, you'll be hooked.

And you're right - it's a LONG drive up to Ely! (about 300 miles from Vegas). I used a special cushion for the racing seat - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get out of the car when I got there! LOL...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:21 PM
mraturbo
Banned

You are a Stud Steve.

Congrats on the Win...Congrats on the New Baby...

LOL...And you better come with your A Game to Button Willow cause I have a new 350Z - Or a New 700Z I am going to start tossing around the tracks.

Have to prove that my 760 WHP G35 was a fat bi$ch with all that extra weight and beat all my old track times at Willow, Button, Laguna, Calspeedway, Spring Mountain, and Streets.

Pics Please on your Race....207 MPH VRT car...Sounds fun. Change the gearing?

Mark's is pretty proud...Boy did we work hard on your car to keep her from boosting too much power on the Non-Built?

Website Videos?

M
Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by mraturbo
You are a Stud Steve.

Congrats on the Win...Congrats on the New Baby...

LOL...And you better come with your A Game to Button Willow cause I have a new 350Z - Or a New 700Z I am going to start tossing around the tracks.

Have to prove that my 760 WHP G35 was a fat bi$ch with all that extra weight and beat all my old track times at Willow, Button, Laguna, Calspeedway, Spring Mountain, and Streets.

Pics Please on your Race....207 MPH VRT car...Sounds fun. Change the gearing?

Mark's is pretty proud...Boy did we work hard on your car to keep her from boosting too much power on the Non-Built?

Website Videos?

M
Hey, thanks, Michael!

I'll have some pics for you by the weekend.

Looking forward to running with you at Buttonwillow. Your 700hp vs. my 450hp, and your sticky Hoosiers vs. my Falken street tires. Hmmm.. should be a close match.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic performance Steve! Glad you did well, and made it through safely. That is a real story for a daily driver!!!!!!!!!
This is great testamonial for the motor and car as a platform for a high performance vehicle with selected modifications. Great stuff!
Congratulations piled on top of all before.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:02 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Fantastic performance Steve! Glad you did well, and made it through safely. That is a real story for a daily driver!!!!!!!!!
This is great testamonial for the motor and car as a platform for a high performance vehicle with selected modifications. Great stuff!
Congratulations piled on top of all before.
Hey, thanks Ed! Yes, the car held up well and performed well. Not bad for a daily driver with almost 30,000 miles on it. Unlike several Corvettes that failed to finish (even a new Z06)... and were stranded on the side of the road. Spoke to one guy who blew up several new Z06 motors in a few months. Go Nissan!

How's married life? Hope you're enjoying yourself.

Quick Reply: 350Z wins 145mph class in Silver State Classic!