Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

SCCA T2 Runoffs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

Again, Jmark has some great pics of Jason Henderson's and Bob Hines' Zs. Thanks!

Another Z driver who got a short piece of the stick (and at the last two Runoffs) in T2, has to be Bob Hines. Sorry to see that Brickyard get so roughed up. Jason drove hard, but T2 is a rough place to play.

With the 350Z qualifying so well, it's clear HPT plays to some of the car's strengths. But the starts kill us and the layout of HPT almost encourages side-by-side manuevers and body contact. I was really hoping to see a Z get out in front and walk it, but that doesn't look to be much of a possibility...
Old 10-20-2006, 06:01 PM
ALong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been a lot of talk about how fast that car is in a straight line. It would be nice to see the motor torn down just to set the record straight. A lot of people in the past have run motors in Camaro's that they thought were legal that ended up not being legal when torn down, they were not intentionally cheating but their engine builders either did not fully understand the rule book or mis-interpreted it.

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
I've competed with and against Dave in autocross, regionally with Cal Club, and I've done some of the work on his previous yellow Camaro (exhaust fab). He has some pretty amazing driving skills and I'm not surprised that he would qualify well because he was always good at putting down one Hail Mary lap. I'm also not surprised that he wouldn't do well in a race because he does make mistakes having to lay down numerous quick laps in a row. That ability will come with time.

At no time did I get the impression that he is a cheater.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Chris Brannon's GTO sounded AWESOME when he cracked the throttle. Could have sworn he had a Trans-Am spec motor in that thing! That he finished just out of the top ten makes speculation about legal engines (or not) seem moot.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:43 AM
Jason H

Mark - as usual...great pics!! Can't wait to see more.

Dave - it was great meeting you. Wish we could have given you more to write about.

Alex - any luck selling the Z? If not, maybe you can join us next year? The Z can at least qualify up front at HPT and if we get enough of us up there, maybe Ron can pay us all to block so 1 car can get away
Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Jason H
Dave - it was great meeting you. Wish we could have given you more to write about.
The feeling is mutual, Jason. And don't assume that there won't be much to write about in Nissan Sport Magazine! The Winter Inside Line column will definitely cover the Runoffs, Solo II Chapionships and other Nissan racing news!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:45 PM
ALong

Originally Posted by Jason H
Mark - as usual...great pics!! Can't wait to see more.

Alex - any luck selling the Z? If not, maybe you can join us next year? The Z can at least qualify up front at HPT and if we get enough of us up there, maybe Ron can pay us all to block so 1 car can get away
Suprisingly within 3 days of the add being posted on Racers Website and in Sportscar I have already had 3 calls, one of them from Switzerland! I have one person that is very serious about the car, I know him from SCCA, I wont mention any names right now but he previously raced a T1 car and he has the money to buy the car so thats not an issue, he just needs to decide if this is the car he wants.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:46 PM
ALong

Originally Posted by dkmura
Chris Brannon's GTO sounded AWESOME when he cracked the throttle. Could have sworn he had a Trans-Am spec motor in that thing! That he finished just out of the top ten makes speculation about legal engines (or not) seem moot.
Dont forget the driver has a lot of input in how fast the car is as well. A cheater car in a mediocre drivers hands still might not be competitive.