Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track Gurus...my first track day! What should I do to prep the Z??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 AM
qu8ttro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Track Gurus...my first track day! What should I do to prep the Z??

YES!!! My first ever track event and its with the Z!! I"m so excited!!
Heading to Laguna Seca on Nov 2. Anyone else going?? The Z is completely stock except for an intake filter and 19" g35 stockers. What type of maintenance should I do to the Z before heading to the track? This will be my first track experience and have no clue on how to prep the Z. I'm at 31K so i'm planning on change these while i'm at it. Oil/filter, transmission fuild, differential fluid, spark plugs. Anything else missing? recommendations and advise please

Edit: forgot to mention I also have Hawk pads installed.

Last edited by qu8ttro; 10-20-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by qu8ttro
YES!!! My first ever track event and its with the Z!! I"m so excited!!
Heading to Laguna Seca on Nov 2. Anyone else going?? The Z is completely stock except for an intake filter and 19" g35 stockers. What type of maintenance should I do to the Z before heading to the track? This will be my first track experience and have no clue on how to prep the Z. I'm at 31K so i'm planning on change these while i'm at it. Oil/filter, transmission fuild, differential fluid, spark plugs. Anything else missing? recommendations and advise please

Edit: forgot to mention I also have Hawk pads installed.
Search will be your friend in this matter...

But since I'm here... along with the pads, have some high-temp fluid installed... AP Racing 550, Motul 600... among others. If its a two day event, take an extra set of pads, especially REAR pads.

Go in there with an open mind, ready to learn and be a bit humbled in your driving ability... its a different world on track... a very glorious and addictive world

Otherwise, you'll be fine... stay with street tires, leave driving aids on for your first event (you'll be most concerned with learning the line and dealing with traffic during your first event)

Only technique thing I'll say is this: don't ride the brakes... you'll have a tendency to brake way too early, and for too long of a period. This will destroy your pads in no time. Hopefully you'll have a good instructor that will go into more detail (threshold braking).

Above all, have fun, you're not out there to prove anything to anybody
Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 AM
qu8ttro

yeah I found a lot of threads on track day info. Just wanted to get my own responses.. This will be a one day event. And i'm sure that is more then I can take. I hope to get some good info from the instructors. I was reading somewhere that said hot tire temp should be around 40? Is that correct?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:40 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Soon you will receive enrollment literature. The instructions may include items such as:

Remove floor mats.
Install tow hook.

Besides that, I recommend that you do nothing. Just have fun.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by qu8ttro
yeah I found a lot of threads on track day info. Just wanted to get my own responses.. This will be a one day event. And i'm sure that is more then I can take. I hope to get some good info from the instructors. I was reading somewhere that said hot tire temp should be around 40? Is that correct?
I'd still recommend taking an extra set of rear pads with you, just in case. Laguna seems to me like it would be pretty hard on brakes.

As far as tire temps, in my experience, you don't want them much more than 40psi hot... I actually don't worry as much about psi as I do about roll-over. Your tires should have little wear indicators on the sidewall, where the tread starts... usually a small triangle. After your first session, look at each tire, and see how the tread wears in relation to these marks. If it hasn't worn to to the tip of the indicator, then pressure is a little high... take out a pound or two and see how they look after the next session. If its worn down into these markers, you need to bump the pressure up a bit.

But frankly... for your first few events... best to keep pressures even all around, and concentrate on being smooth
Old 10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
qu8ttro

Thanks Stacy! I"ll let you know how things go! =)
Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Marc Mc

Laguna is fun. It looks like you will be getting some instruction. Listen to the instructors. Don't feel like you have to prove anything to them. They will be more interested in how you drive the track than how FAST you drive the track. The more you listen and do what they say the faster you will get.

Since you are in CA, you will no doubt have your front plate on. I took it (plate and bracket) off before I left home. You will need to install the tow hook, so try it before your get there....so you don't look like a dork.

Given the year of your Z I doubt you will need to check your plugs, but fresh oil, brake fluid, and diff fluid (if it hasn't been changed) would be a good thing. Get rid off all the loose crap you keep in your car. Do it at home rather than waste time at the track. Given that it is your first day, I don't think you need to concern yourself with lightening your car that much. You have plenty to focus on.

Check the torque on your wheels. S/B 80 lbs, but check the manual for your year. Bring a torque wrench with you to the track. Check them when you get there and when you have an afternoon break.

One last thing about driving on the track. Be respectful of other drivers. Let them pass if they are faster. It doesn't make you less of a man. You will find it is fun to chase others.

Good luck.
Here is a shot on the famous corkscrew. (Courtesy of Heads On Photo).

Marc Mc
Attached Thumbnails Track Gurus...my first track day!  What should I do to prep the Z??-corkscrewporschesml.jpg  
Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 PM
ASTIG_Z

Leguna SECA? you northern CAL people are lucky! I wanted to run that track since the Gran Turismo days on the Playstation. Have fun!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Stack

Originally Posted by ASTIG_Z
Leguna SECA? you northern CAL people are lucky! I wanted to run that track since the Gran Turismo days on the Playstation. Have fun!
Hey.... at least you're in the same STATE! nay... the same COAST!!

Closest thing we have here on the east is the 'Spiral' on VIR's South Course...

Old 10-20-2006, 01:41 PM
qu8ttro

Nice pic Marc! Hopefully I'll have some good shots to show you all when I return from my track day.

I'll do the regular tune up stuff and leave the rest alone. Like you said I'll have plenty to focus on. How much gas to you go to the track with? How much gas should I have in the tank while on the track?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:43 PM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by ASTIG_Z

Make the trip!!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 PM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by Stack
Hey.... at least you're in the same STATE! nay... the same COAST!!

Closest thing we have here on the east is the 'Spiral' on VIR's South Course...

I also want to drive on Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA
Old 10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Marc Mc

Fill up before you go to the track.
They have pumps at the track and hopefully they will be open for your event. Even if they are...it is damned expensive. I ended up buying some fuel mid day. You don't want to run out of gas on track as you will need to be towed...and be VERY unpopular as you will be stealing track time from others.

Pick your visual mark on the Corkscrew (the tree). You don't want to cut that turn toooooo sharp to the right.

Good luck. I will be at T-Hill Monday....can't wait.

Marc
Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Marc Mc

Dang...placed that parentheses in the wrong place. The visual mark I and others used for the corkscrew is the tree. The instructor will no doubt tell you.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
qu8ttro

Hey Marc how many times have you driven on laguna? Would you say that is a hard track to get use to? I'm assuming the corkscrew the the hardest section of the track?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Laguna Seca experience at the Skip Barber 3 day race school.

Skippy School

Approaching turn 6, I brake early and get it all done by the 2 maker. Then I squeeze back on the throttle and am foot to the floor through the apex in third gear. The car drifts nicely to track-out and I accelerate up the hill to turn 7. Per Loren’s instructions, I wait a heartbeat after I would have normally turned into 7 and then go for the apex. The car crests the plateau pointed perfectly at the run-in for the Corkscrew. Some quick braking and a downshift, and I fly down into the Corkscrew, getting that roller coaster felling in my stomach. I let the car track-out in turn 8a, up shift to third, brush the brakes, turn-in for turn 9, and accelerate down the hill. Wow! That was great! Now I know why drivers love the Corkscrew.

Last edited by betamotorsports; 10-20-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:51 PM
jakedajewel

u might want to invest on race gloves and/or seat. i def recommend gloves.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Marc Mc

It isn't a hard track....not Searspoint technical, but give yourself time to learn it.

The corkscrew wasn't too difficult for me. I rather enjoyed it. My caution is I have seen videos where guys go too far to the right and it is just bad. They used to have freaking boulders over there. What I found was important for the corkscrew was the line so you could set up properly for 8A and 9.

The two turns I had to continually work on (with my mentor) were Turn 2 and 11. I just couldn't find a good line for me. Heck, on turn 11, I lost control a few times. Luckily, there is plenty of run-off room in all the right places.

I found my favorite turns were 4,5,6, and 11. I did most of my passing on 4-6. Turn 11 was just fun for me.

Look for the online videos, watch them a bunch of times, and try to picture the line in your head. Of course, the line will change from car to car, but getting the basic line down will benefit you.

Good luck.
Marc
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laguna Seca is VERY fun, but I didn't find it too hard on brakes, but when I went it was on and off rain and I was on Sport Cups so I was easy on the brakes anyways.

Just remember to go out and don't let anybody try and push you past the limits you are comfortable pushing yourself. Also remember to look ahead, especially when on top of the corkscrew, you can't see it until you are on your way down and you want to be headed down the pavement and not the dirt.

And make sure you get the manditory corkscrew picture...

Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Laguna Seca is VERY fun, but I didn't find it too hard on brakes, but when I went it was on and off rain and I was on Sport Cups so I was easy on the brakes anyways.

Just remember to go out and don't let anybody try and push you past the limits you are comfortable pushing yourself. Also remember to look ahead, especially when on top of the corkscrew, you can't see it until you are on your way down and you want to be headed down the pavement and not the dirt.

And make sure you get the manditory corkscrew picture...

^ HELL YEAH!!! They have photographers there right? How much does it cost?

Quick Reply: Track Gurus...my first track day! What should I do to prep the Z??