Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

I survived my first track day! The Z did GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM
MoodDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to a great habbit (or is it a money pit?).

Seca has been on my hit list - yet is a little far for me.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by qu8ttro
LUCKY! That car is so nice...sounds good too! I looked up this weekend's event at Thill...said its only open to PDC. What's that?

Hey Z car garage is in my area...i've never been there tho...its on first street right?
It's the NASA season closer at thunderhill this weekend. Their website is www.nasaproracing.com

Hey Z car garage is in my area...i've never been there tho...its on first street right?
Yup they're actually on Archer St. Us west coasters are lucky enough to have nice tracks and shops that work ONLY on Z's! Life is good.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:24 PM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by Sk8fe
In-car cam setups rock; especially, if you don't get back to that track in a while. I always review my in-car footage of the previous times I was at that track the night before to remind myself of the things I did well (and not so well).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...66825156327462

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86804370758275

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19321707251997

haha thanks for the vids! This is getting really expensive!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Marc Mc

Congrats on your first track day. They are fun fun fun. My next is at Infineon on 11/24 and I can't wait.

I gotta ask though....How the hell did you get on that line over the corkscrew? Did you go too far and slide out the backend a bit? Just curious.

Marc Mc
Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by Marc Mc
Congrats on your first track day. They are fun fun fun. My next is at Infineon on 11/24 and I can't wait.

I gotta ask though....How the hell did you get on that line over the corkscrew? Did you go too far and slide out the backend a bit? Just curious.

Marc Mc
No...I noticed when i was going down the corkscrew i wasn't turn to the right enough at turn 8b. So the next time around I got too excited and starting turning the car before i finished turn 8a. Pretty much didn't line up correctly. I'm kinda glad i did cause i knew where not to be afterthat..hehe
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 PM
kognition

Corkscrew = my favorite turn. Even though you aren't travelling that fast, more of a roller coaster.

No...I noticed when i was going down the corkscrew i wasn't turn to the right enough at turn 8b. So the next time around I got too excited and starting turning the car before i finished turn 8a. Pretty much didn't line up correctly. I'm kinda glad i did cause i knew where not to be afterthat..hehe
Old 11-07-2006, 08:38 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daveh

My pad knockback got so bad my brake pedal went to the floor after the corkscrew and I almost bit it coming down into T2 because of this. New hub assembiles are going on this week at Z Car Garage.
None of you tracksters get this??
Are you getting stock hub assemblies put in, or some type of upgraded ones? You and I (and very few others) seem to be the unlucky few to experience knockback on the Z. I'm curious to hear if you've got a source for an upgraded hub.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by GaryM05
Are you getting stock hub assemblies put in, or some type of upgraded ones? You and I (and very few others) seem to be the unlucky few to experience knockback on the Z. I'm curious to hear if you've got a source for an upgraded hub.
Just getting stock hub assemblies. Upgraded hubs are big bucks. If that doesn't work, than I might consider some springs inside my stoptechs to keep the pistons in place.
I'm hopeful the new hubs will work. I'll know this weekend.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Sk8fe

Originally Posted by GaryM05
My pad knockback got so bad my brake pedal went to the floor after the corkscrew and I almost bit it coming down into T2 because of this. New hub assembiles are going on this week at Z Car Garage.
None of you tracksters get this??
Can you or daveh describe "knockback" in more detail? Is this condition noticable at any speeds or only under braking from high speeds? Thx.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:35 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think most have answered but I will add a few things.

The Stock OEM and HPS brakes do tend to glaze with extended heat applied (IE Riding the brakes, or insufficient cooling). They also transfer a lot of heat to the caliper, thus the fluid as well. Either will cause decreased braking in a session. If it is a fluid issue then the brakes will return after a cooling down or a bleed if needed. If the brakes still feel weaker, but still have a strong petal feel, it could be a glazed pad and only new pads will fix it. Stack gave a good description to tell the difference. The OEM and standard street pads seem to wear badly on the rear, more than the front in hard use so make sure you check all the wheels.

Brakes actually like short hard burst vs. long softer applications. As you are learning the line and track, choose a braking point that is conservative and will get you speed down to what you want with a hard brake. As you get faster move the brake point back a bit each time but still apply a hard but not necessarily full, maybe 90%. Long braking points with say 60% will keep the pads and calipers on the hot rotor transferring more heat and wearing the pad more.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I think most have answered but I will add a few things.

The Stock OEM and HPS brakes do tend to glaze with extended heat applied (IE Riding the brakes, or insufficient cooling). They also transfer a lot of heat to the caliper, thus the fluid as well. Either will cause decreased braking in a session. If it is a fluid issue then the brakes will return after a cooling down or a bleed if needed. If the brakes still feel weaker, but still have a strong petal feel, it could be a glazed pad and only new pads will fix it. Stack gave a good description to tell the difference. The OEM and standard street pads seem to wear badly on the rear, more than the front in hard use so make sure you check all the wheels.

Brakes actually like short hard burst vs. long softer applications. As you are learning the line and track, choose a braking point that is conservative and will get you speed down to what you want with a hard brake. As you get faster move the brake point back a bit each time but still apply a hard but not necessarily full, maybe 90%. Long braking points with say 60% will keep the pads and calipers on the hot rotor transferring more heat and wearing the pad more.
Thanks for the explanation. I will try that at the next track event. It's hard to break daily driving habits
Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 AM
qu8ttro

Can you or daveh describe "knockback" in more detail? Is this condition noticable at any speeds or only under braking from high speeds? Thx.

I would like to know more about "knockback" also.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 AM
arizzee

Knockback - http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

I've experienced this too many times with my oem Brembos. I too will be replacing my front hubs. Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 PM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by arizzee

I've experienced this too many times with my oem Brembos. I too will be replacing my front hubs. Hope that helps.

Definitely something I don't want to experience. Good to know what watch out for. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Sk8fe

+1 Thanks for the knockback link!

Now I understand why a race car driver will tap the brake with their left foot on the straight away before entering a heavy braking zone. I always thought that it was them checking to make sure they still had brakes (that the pedal didn't go to the floor). I'm sure it is both, but doing so corrects their knockback situation.

I love watching Rolex Grand Am series, World Speed GT or ALMS on Speed when they have foot-cams setup. It is just awesome to watch their footwork.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:02 PM
qu8ttro

+1 Thanks for the knockback link!

Now I understand why a race car driver will tap the brake with their left foot on the straight away before entering a heavy braking zone. I always thought that it was them checking to make sure they still had brakes (that the pedal didn't go to the floor). I'm sure it is both, but doing so corrects their knockback situation.

I love watching Rolex Grand Am series, World Speed GT or ALMS on Speed when they have foot-cams setup. It is just awesome to watch their footwork.

If you really wanna see footwork...go checkout some best motoring videos. They're corny as hell but they are fun to watch.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:43 AM
Sk8fe

Originally Posted by arizzee

How does replacing your front hubs fix this? Wont you still get knockback even with the new front hubs? I would expect knockback to be more prevalent when running R-Compound tires, but Falken 615's too!??? Everyone I have talked to said 615's are great for the first handful of laps but get greasey half way or two-thirds into a 20 minute stint out on the track.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:23 AM
GaryM05

How does replacing your front hubs fix this? Wont you still get knockback even with the new front hubs? I would expect knockback to be more prevalent when running R-Compound tires, but Falken 615's too!??? Everyone I have talked to said 615's are great for the first handful of laps but get greasey half way or two-thirds into a 20 minute stint out on the track.
Since the hub is what's allowing the plane of the rotor to flex in relation to the rest of the wheel assembly (namely, the mounting brackets that hold the caliper), the theory is that replacing the hubs more frequently than what might otherwise be necessary can help stop or reduce this deflection of the rotor.

As for tires, I agree that r-comps would likely increase the effect, but I've had knockback even on the street after some particularly spirited transitions (traffic circles, etc).
Old 11-09-2006, 04:24 AM
GaryM05

Just getting stock hub assemblies. Upgraded hubs are big bucks. If that doesn't work, than I might consider some springs inside my stoptechs to keep the pistons in place.
I'm hopeful the new hubs will work. I'll know this weekend.
Good luck - let us know if that works. I've also thought about the anti-knockback springs for my Stoptechs, but wasn't sure if I wanted to live with those in there all the time.

Keep us posted!
Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 AM
arizzee

As I haven't replaced the hubs yet I'm not sure how much it will help with the knockback. The theory is that the bearing/hub assy is flexing under lateral load. The front caliper location applifies the knockback (since they are significately above horizontal). The front hubs were revised in '04 but I haven't heard the final word if they reduce the knockback or not but I'm willing to try anything.

As far as the Falken RT-615s go, I don't drive that fast But in all seriousness, I believe most people overinflate these. When they first came out, on Falken's website, they had an application chart showing their recommended camber and inflation values. I've followed those recommendations with good results. FTR, 275/35/18 front 1.5 neg deg @32 psi, rear 2.0 neg deg @30psi.

Last edited by arizzee; 11-09-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply: I survived my first track day! The Z did GREAT!