Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Got Harness Bar need Belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got Harness Bar need Belts

I am looking for info on buying racing harnesses for my car. I bought a hardbar harness bar which is very similar to the Avalon bar. I plan on using the belts on the street everyday, at lapping days, and at the quarter mile tracks. Go to the track maybe a couple times a year.

I am using stock seats and plan on upgrading them later. I was thinking of going with a 5 point or 4 point harness. If I bought the five point harness I would add the last belt in later once I get seats. I would like red straps or black with red accents to match my car.

I am looking for the best place to purchase harnesses and what brands should I look at.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Sharif recommended the Schroth's Competition Harnesses:
http://www.schrothracing.com/products/competition

Which ones fit my needs?

J

Last edited by Rogue350z; 11-22-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like these
http://www.takata.com/English/Produc...intHarness.htm
Old 11-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Do you own a set? how do you like them?

Can u get them in red? How much are they?

J
Old 11-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

my buddy has these and they are really nice. They only come in green. Mid $300's from most vendors.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:19 AM
st350z

they only come in green and cost between 260-350 do-luck sells team tech harness and they come in red
Old 11-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

^^^ like he said LOL
Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 AM
tomzz

Default great 6 pt harness

take a look at the Ultra Shield harness products

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=34

I searched foir 6 months for the best set up. I have had them 2 years now with my roll bar set up. Every HPDE instructor I have had says "I want a set of these". They are the mosts comfortable (heavily padded) set on the market and are they strong! Even got your red color.

Take a look. If you like their belts, you will love their seats.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:01 AM
first350

when I was shopping for a harness, a lot of ppl warned me from getting 4 pt harnesses...they said in a hard front end collision, your body could try to slide forward, and the belts would injure your internal organs...I opted for a 6 pt (that way I didn't have to drill a hole for the submarine belts.

-Peter
Old 11-22-2006, 11:51 AM
daveh

I've got this Schroth Profi II ASM belt. This is really the only safe option with stock seats and sounds like it fits your needs.
Here' the blurb from their website.

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/competition/1597

The Profi II ASM is designed to be used as a four point system. For this reason it is perfect for use in Driver Education cars or any other application where stock seats are retained. A seat that was not originally desiged for use with a racing restraint should never be modified to accept an sub strap.

The Profi II ASM incorporates Schroth's legendary ASM (Anti-SubMarining) technology that is the only thing like it on the market. ASM is an extra fold of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that elongates at a different rate than the outboard belt. This allows your upper torso to twist slightly. On the rebound phase, your torso is planted firmly back in the seat rather than allowed to slide under the lap belt.

You can add a single or dual sub strap to make this belt into a 5 point or 6 point at any time. The only thing you cannot do with this belt is use a HANS device. The HANS device and the ASM do not work together.

Another feature unique to the Profi Series 2" lap belts is the "Flexi Belt". The End Fittings and Cam Latches are wrapped into the harness, making it so that the lap belt can be changed from a Pull Up configuration to a Pull Down. This allows you to set the belt up just the way you want it for your specific situation. It also allows for Bolt In brackets to be wrapped in for the lap belts if needed. Snap in brackets come standard on the laps.

The Shoulders come ready to wrap around a roll bar. Snap in or Bolt in attachments can be bought separately. Because of the ASM, these belts are sided. Be sure to install them correctly: the ASM fold should be on the Inboard shoulder belt.

Please note, Cam locks can be swapped, so if you are interested in this harness with a street legal FE Push Button cam lock, it can be purchased separately.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:45 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,297 Likes on 898 Posts

Perhaps this has been covered already, but I don't favor installing a racing harness in cars without at least a roll bar. Why? In the worst scenario- a rollover crash- if the roof collapses, your body will be held in an upright position. Your head or neck will both be vulnerable to life threatening injuries by the very restraints you chose to use (vs. the ordinary three point seatbelts, which might allow you to be pushed to the side and survive).

I'm a big believer in utilizing the latest safety systems. I use SCCA and FIA-approved race seats in both my GT3 350Z and ITA 200SX. I favor Impact Racings 7 point camlock harnesses in both vehicles as well. But for my street 350Z, IMHO the better choice is using the OEM seats and seatbelts for HPDEs and track day events.

David Muramoto
Senior Editor
Nissan Sport Magazine
Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by dkmura
Perhaps this has been covered already, but I don't favor installing a racing harness in cars without at least a roll bar. Why? In the worst scenario- a rollover crash- if the roof collapses, your body will be held in an upright position. Your head or neck will both be vulnerable to life threatening injuries by the very restraints you chose to use (vs. the ordinary three point seatbelts, which might allow you to be pushed to the side and survive).

I'm a big believer in utilizing the latest safety systems. I use SCCA and FIA-approved race seats in both my GT3 350Z and ITA 200SX. I favor Impact Racings 7 point camlock harnesses in both vehicles as well. But for my street 350Z, IMHO the better choice is using the OEM seats and seatbelts for HPDEs and track day events.

David Muramoto
Senior Editor
Nissan Sport Magazine
Agree with him. My setup is attached to a custom fab'd rollbar from TC Design.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I very much agree with David's comment above. I use the three point in daily driving (besides which it is convenient and comfortable, and the CHP do not recognize 4-5-6 point harnesses as compliant with Calif law and can give you a ticket!). Then on the track I use the sparco harness belts.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:20 AM
MoodDude

I use G-Force Pro Series Camlock Harness 6-Point.

When looking for a harness - you need to decided how many points, if you want a camlock or latch, pull up or down, and make sure it is SFI approved. Once you make those decisions, it will help narrow down your search.

And as far as driving in Gerogia with a harness - I couldn't find a State law that said you couldn't.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:02 AM
John

You really don't want to use harnesses on the street as they are not as comfortable as stock belts, and limit your mobility to look at the traffic around you (while the belts may be SFI or FIA approved, they may not be DOT approved). I personally never understood the Takata craze, but if you want to spend an extra $50-100 for the bling bling green, be my guest. I've used a Schroth Profi-III ASM 6 points for 3 years now, and I wouldn't switch for anything else.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Thanks for your input!!

The bar I bought allows the use of the stock seatbelts. I will use that for the street.

I am going with the camlock 4 point harness that can have 5 or 6 point added later.

What is the difference between Pull-up vs Pull-down?

J
Old 11-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by LeMans350z
Thanks for your input!!

The bar I bought allows the use of the stock seatbelts. I will use that for the street.

I am going with the camlock 4 point harness that can have 5 or 6 point added later.

J
I believe that is they way you tighten the belts, pull up to tighten or pull down to tighten.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:28 AM
shinkuu

check with your local tracks on their regulations. The events I attend require a 3" 5 point harness. gforce makes a decent set of harness for a good price.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:49 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans350z

J
It simply is the orientation of the draw on the strap tighten function.

A matter of preference, and practicality.

If YOU are going to tighten the strap, you probably want a pull DOWN, because you can get you rear end shoved back as far into the seat back as it will go, keep your back straight and shoulders against the seat, use both hands and pull down. Be careful not to twist your body side to side, use both legs to keep yourself shoved against the back of the seat.

If you have an ASSISTANT outside the car and reaching in, it is very hard for him/her to be leaning through the window and getting any force through their arms and shoulders when they are cantilevered through the opening...with a pull UP strap instead of a pull DOWN strap they can plant their feet and legs for leverage and pull UP on the strap with a lot more power and precision.

When you have an accident, and if you need to understand that if you drive much at all this is not a question of WHETHER, but of WHEN, the belts are going to stretch....stretch a lot. So when you tighten down you want to be as snug as you possibly can be, so tight that there is no play or give to allow any separation of your body from the seat....not so tight that you are uncomfortable....but right up to or just short of that point of tightness where it would cause discomfort, distraction or fatigue that would diminish your driving performance.

Quick Reply: Got Harness Bar need Belts