Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Done with Carbotech

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Done with Carbotech

Matt requested that I rephrase the posts, he will be seeking counsel on certain aspects and did not want them in public forum, yet.

I've been informed that Matt Nicholson has been let go from Carbotech Brakes. From what I've heard about the situation, I will no longer include Carbotech as a source for brakes.

Matt put Carbotech on the map with outstanding knowledge and customer support. It appears to be a very poor management decision by new owners and Carbotech has lost an extremely valuable asset.

Last edited by Lightning Guy; 12-10-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 AM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...that's pretty bad - seems like there'd be gounds for legal action for something like that. (I could see a company getting mad if you used their PC and work time to apply for other jobs, but what they did seems highly illegal)

-Peter
Old 12-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, technicaly all the work place PC equipment if for work only.

I'm thinking the guy wasn't "only" looking for a job on the web and that was used as an excuse to get rid of an unwanted employee.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Lightning Guy

Matt and anyone who dealt with Matt would tell you that he was too busy to do anything more than work.

Last edited by Lightning Guy; 12-10-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 AM
PBLRacing

Did you take time to hear both sides of the story before you reached your conclusion and jumped on the board here to slam Carbotech. Anyone who has ever had to let an employee go knows that the stories from Mgmt and the employee perspective are never even close to the same (I've got a bunch of good stories if you want to hear them).

I personally have been dealing with Carbotech since the HQ was in Fort Lauderdale and the fact that Matt is no longer there certainly wouldn't stop me from using thier brakes. I want to win when I race and after trying just about every pad choice out there, I have reached the conclusion that without a doubt the Carbotechs are the superior choice.

I spent at least 20 weekends at the track here in the SE this year and saw either Chris or Danny Puskar (the new owners) at least half of the weekends supporting thier products. That is the type of customer service I want, not just a 'nice' guy on the phone.

Sorry Matt is gone. Carbotech brakes are still the best choice (in my humble opinion).
Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It is a sad situation and there are more items going on here than what I can go into. It really is a unfortunate situation since a lot of what made Carbotech brakes so good was the R&D work that Matt and Lary put into them in Real world use.

And Matt was the person you use to see at almost every event in the SE until recently.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 AM
DPE

Just an FYI for those who may be second-guessing using Carbotech based on one of the three identical posts made about them on this forum.

There is another side to the story, which I have heard in some detail. Interestingly, it is somewhat different than the story that was formerly posted on here and has since been edited out by the original poster. I'm not here to discredit Matt, as I talked to him regularly and he was quite helpful and generally a nice guy. But I also want to be sure Carbotech is well-represented as they are and will continue to be an excellent company to do business with under the new ownership. The products they produce, naturally, continue to be excellent.

I used Carbotech pads before I was in this business, and have used them almost exclusively as the brake pad of choice for my customers over the past two years. And those customers have been happy ones. Carbotech has never been dishonest or shady in any way that I'm aware of, and in fact under the new owners has progressively gotten better from a vendor and customer service point of view.

In summary, there are a lot of companies that make parts. There are not very many good ones. I could call out quite a list of manufacturers that make junk or are sketchy to deal with and give you one or more examples of just how crappy they are. Carbotech is one of the few good ones, however, and when I see them getting trashed on a forum I want to make sure everyone reading understands that there is indeed another side to the story. And given the subject matter, there's certainly no reason to not purchase Carbotech brake pads.

And no, I don't work for Carbotech and am not a personal friend of the new owners .

Regards,
Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 PM
ULLLOSE

I used Carbotech religiously on our Corvette for five years. I also referred every vette racer that asked what pads to get to them. They rocked on that car and I never had a problem.

As soon as we got the RX8 I ordered a set. First autox I had a front pad fail, the pad material came off of the backing plate and was only held in place by the two rivets. They asked me to send the whole front set back at their cost and they would take care of it. Their version of taking care of it was to reattach the materiel to the backing plate and they did not even recenter the material or replace the rivets that bent. I expressed my concern to them and they said it would be fine. Just to be safe I reinstalled the "repaired" pad in a different location on the car and during the bed in process it came off again. Again they had me send it back at their cost and this time they put new rivets in and reattached the old material to the old backing plate. I did not even bother putting them back on the car. After five+ years of being a loyal customer they could not see their way to replace a pad that was clearly defective from the start. I was very disappointed. I guess Larry was trying to keep cost down as the company was for sale at the time.

The good news was during the time the pads were going back and forth we found the car was light enough it did not need anything other than stock pads for autox.

Last edited by ULLLOSE; 12-27-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:54 PM
DPE

^ ^ And that is precisely what I meant by the customer service has progressively improved under the new ownership; you would have gotten a brand new set shipped next day air had the same thing happened to you with Chris or Danny in charge.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Lightning Guy

I agree that Carbotech pads are top shelf all the way. I'm not fond of the new owners, but Larry was a hard pill to swallow too. I should have made the post differently for sure. By gones be by gones, and I wish Matt well in his future endeavors. I don't know if I will purchase Carbotechs again because of my loyalty to Matt, and that was all I really meant to say.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....8&postcount=21